Diving tackle and dodge skill

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Diving tackle and dodge skill

Post by Pipey »

Been trying to work out the logic of how Diving Tackle and Dodge skill interact.

If a player with dodge skill attempts to dodge away from a player with DT and the tackler needs to use DT to bring the dodger down, what happens when the dodger uses dodge skill to reroll?

Does the player with DT...

a) stay down and still adjust the second dodge roll by -2, whether he needs to use DT on the second dodge or not

b) stay down, unable to use his DT skill against the second dodge as he is now prone

c) effectively 'get back up' as the reroll cancels the previously occuring event entirely. Exactly the same conditions apply to the second dodge as applied to the first

...?

The most logical answer to me is (c). (b) seems to make no sense at all to me, but some have told me they think it should work as in (a).

How do people play this? Is there an official clarification I have missed? (Hope it's not in the rule book - I can't download it at work...)

Cheers
Pip :D

Reason: ''
UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

It is (a),modifiers continue to apply to all re-rolls. In other words, a reroll is always considered just the same as the first roll, so here DT can also be used if it hasn't been already.
There's no "taking back" of DT once used, as then the first dodge wouldn't have failed and the reroll wasn't necessary so you're stuck in a circle here.
Damn, this sounds confusing, I hope somebody can explain it a bit better then me.

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It's a).

viewtopic.php?t=4526&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Look near the bottom of page 1 of that thread - there's a chart that makes it easy (wel, easier ;) ) to understand.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Thanks for the link Darkson.

Post by Galak a little way down looks clear and I guess official. Option a) it is.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

There are only two options when a player attempts to dodge away from a Diving tackle player.

1) The Diving Tackle player stays upright. The dodge is made as normal
2) The Diving Tackle player goes down and the dodge is made at a -2.

Now look at the order of decisions and the rolls which need to be made.

a) Dodging player rolls die.
b) Diving Tackle Player can declare he is using Diving Tackle. If he does not declare it, the dpdging player is free to use the initial die roll.
c) Dodging player chooses to re-roll the die or not.
d) If Diving Tackle Player did not choose to use Diving Tackle in b), he can choose to use it now.

Basically, at any time in the series of rolls and re-rolls, the Diving Tackle player can choose to go prone and put a -2 modifier on any dodge roll. However, once he has decided to go prone, he can not reverse his decision, no matter if the opposing player uses a re-roll to successfully dodge away or not.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

a it is

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Come on Pip! I know you can't use anything but Orcs :wink: , but surely you should have got this one!!

The interesting one is STILL how DT + Tackle works (i.e. if you go down using DT on the initial attempt, can you still prevent the Dodge skill reroll from Tackle? :?: )

Galak (in the thread quoted above by DS) posted this at the end:

"Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:18 pm

Haar ... you win ... I'll add changing the DT text to say that the player goes prone after the Dodge has been fully resolved to the BBRC Hot List for 2003.

That should solve all of this. "

Yes, I agree it would have. Still, 4 and a half years isn't too long to wait...... :roll: :lol: