Completion with Diving Catch

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Meradanis
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Completion with Diving Catch

Post by Meradanis »

I have a question about SPP's for completions. The situation aroused because I'm playtesting the Slann team in the MBBL.

After an opponent gave my a hint, I'm sometimes using a special tactic: Instead of doing a GFI to lessen the passing distance, I just choose to make a (hopefully accurate) pass into the empty square in front of the intended receiver. Because those Slann Catchers have Diving Catch, I can still catch the ball with 2+, as if I would have passed on the Catcher himself.

Now here comes the question: Does the Thrower again any SPP's for such a pass ? LRB 5 reads the following:
Completions (COMP): A player who makes an accurate pass
that is caught by the intended receiver from his own team when
the ball comes to rest earns 1 Star Player point. This is called a
completion.
One could argument that the Catcher is the intended receiver, even though the Pass is not thrown to his square. From a tactical point of view, this can be more than true, as described above.

Reason: ''
Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Buggrit »

I would have thought that it would've been a successful pass to an EMPTY SQUARE and not to the reciever so you wouldn't get COMP SPP for it. (this isn't a situation that we've ever had come up in our league though!) Also (If I'm interpreting the rules correctly) you wouldn't recieve the bonus for an accurate pass on the diving catch roll because you're diving for it rather than catching it in your square as an accurate pass to a player (this shouldn't stop you from using the catch skill with DC for a 2nd attempt though)
As ever if I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me...

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I don't think it works like you hope. I agree with Buggrit and I'd rule that the EMPTY SQUARE is the intended receiver and would get the +1 to catch.

You have a very good arguement for it working like you think though. Accurate is accurate and you intend that receiver to catch it. I just don't see it supported in the rules.

Have fun!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

You cannot get the SPP since the square was the intended receiver ... I agree with both Snew and Buggrit on this.

Disagree however on the 2nd point. You can get the +1 bonus to catch if the pass was accurate. This is because Diving Catch says the player catches the pass as if it had landed in his square instead of the adjacent one. If the pass had landed in his square it would have been with a +1 bonus to catch.

So Diving Catch cannot get SPPs for catching, but can get the +1 bonus to catch an accurate pass.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

This is why it's hard to write rules! So many words in English can be interpreted in multiple ways. Technically, the Slann is the intended receiver, by plain English. Even if 4 Slann could use diving catch to grab the ball, Only one of them would be able to use the skill, so there is never any vaguery about who the coach intended to have as the "intended receiver!"

Nowhere in the rules is intended defined, and 99% of the time, it doesn't make sense that it would be!

With the Slann coming into the game (if they indeed do) this tactic will be more common. Might I suggest changing the word "intended" to "targeted"? I believe this makes it more clear.

As I understand it, "to target" (used as a verb) usually designates location, whereas "to intend" can designate any goal which the acting party has in mind.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

If we went that route .. the wording would need changed to say

"another team-mate in the targeted square"

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Another reason why I'm so glad we just stuck with the old "accurate pass caught by another ogf your players" rule (mainly because they didn't realise the rule change for the first 3 or games in the league, and I wasn't going to bother to go back to try and find with Comps were correct or not).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

GalakStarscraper wrote: "another team-mate in the targeted square"
Perfect! I would say change it before the Slann are made official :)

mage75
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mage75 »

It's a great play idea though!! I might have to try that one, thanks! I'm sick of falling over on a GFI!