Hail Mary Pass on a Dump OFf?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Jural
Legend
Legend

Hail Mary Pass on a Dump OFf?

Post by Jural »

Question- can you Hail Mary Pass when somebody blitzes you and you have Dump-Off?

It's not clear to me. It may be that Dump-Off only allows you to declare a quick pass, and that a HMP is considered to not be a quick pass, in which case it would not be allowed.

Or it could be that a Hail Mary Pass can be substituted for any sort of Pass attempt, and hence it is allowable.

So... which is it?

Reason: ''
Rituro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rituro »

My take on it is that since a Quick Pass is specifically called for in the rules for Dump-Off, only a Quick Pass may be attempted.

The Nuln Bombers -- making amazing counter-attacks since 2507
~
Da Dead'Ard Sunz -- making orange cool again since 2510
Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

I believe that a HMP can only be attempted during a Pass Action, not just on any attempt to throw the ball.

Dont have my rulebook here to check though.

falconeyed
Star Player
Star Player

Post by falconeyed »

The text of Dump Off reads as follows:

"This skill allows the player to make a Quick Pass when an opponent declares that he will throw a block at him."

So I'm going to go complete lawyer on everyone and share a rule of statutory construction. Expresio Unius Est Exclusio Alterius. The expression of one is the exclusion of others. If the rule writer defines a specific instance or situation for a rule to be applied, then the expression of that specific instance excludes all other possible instances. Unmentioned situations are excluded and not possible.

To be blunt, because the Dump Off description states that a Quick Pass is allowed, only a Quick Pass may be attempted and everything else is prevented. If the broader interpretation (allowing HMP) were intended, the Dump Off description would say something like "This skill allows the player to declare a pass action ...". Given that HMP is triggered by declaring a pass action, and because Dump Off does not allow a pass action, but rather an expressly stated and very specific type of pass action (the Quick Pass), HMP is not possible in a Dump Off situation. Quick Pass or nothing.

No one should be honored for doing what is expected.
Jonny Deth
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jonny Deth »

Hey Falconeyed

Are you a lawyer? :o

Halflings rule!!!
Nuffle hates me!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

What Falconeyed said ... [insert here]

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Wosret
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hiding behind my Mummy somewhere at the Dutch Scene

Post by Wosret »

Well like i posted in this Tread
Wosret Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:04 pm wrote:Actually
LRB5.0 pg44 wrote:Dump-Off (Passing)
This skill allows the player to make a Quick Pass when an opponent
declares that he will throw a block at him, ...
As is written, it allows u to make a Quick Pass, nowhere does it mention that u can attempt something else like in this case HMP. For that to be allowed it would have to state "This skill allows the player to take a Pass Action etc.".

Further more.
It seems to me that it is impossible to attempt a HMP as u can only do that when u declare a Pass Action with an active player on your team and as it is your opponents turn your players are not active
LRB5.0 pg7 wrote:During a turn, the team in play may perform one Action with each
player in the team. .... The players on the other team may not take
any Actions until their own turn comes around.

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

I feel better now. After playing Dark Elves for a whole season I never did buy a runner. But I would have had some great fun if that was legal!