Does a successful Stab result in a Knock Down?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Does a successful Stab result in a Knock Down?

Post by Aliboon »

Hi, as above. Irrelevant (I think?) unless there is a Spiked Ball.

Can a Spiked Ball Stab a member of the moving team and cause a Turnover?

The Stab skill doesn't mention Knocking Down players, what do yous think?

Reason: ''
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Does a successful Stab result in a Knock Down?

Post by Regash »

Okay, I have to admit, I'm to lazy to get my BB2016 rulebook now, so I took the description from CRP.
If there were any changes I am not aware off, please apologize me talking nonsense.
Stab Skill Description wrote:Stab (Extraordinary)
A player with this skill is armed with something very good at stabbing, slashing or hacking up an opponent, like sharp fangs or a trusty dagger. This player may attack an opponent with his stabbing attack instead of throwing a block. Make an unmodified Armour roll (except for Stakes) for the victim. If the score is less than or equal to the victim’s Armour value then the attack has no effect. If the score beats the victim’s Armour value then he has been wounded and an Injury roll must be made. This Injury roll ignores all modifiers from any source - including Niggling injuries. If Stab is used as part of a Blitz Action, the player cannot continue moving after using it. Casualties caused by a stabbing attack do not count for Star Player points.
When did you ever make an Injury roll against a standing player?
If you don't break armour, the attack has no effect, so the attacked player stays on his feet.
If you break armour, you sweep him off his feet and roll for injury.

At least, that is my way of reading it.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

I'd say the opposite. It very clearly says "wounded" not "Knocked Down". I'd read that this was intentional, not an oversight in the wording.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Knocked Down is an effect (it's specifically mentioned in the list of Turn Overs).
Stab does not cause this effect.
Stab may cause a player to be placed face down as stunned, or placed in the dugout as knocked out or injured.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Regash wrote:Okay, I have to admit, I'm to lazy to get my BB2016 rulebook now, so I took the description from CRP.
If there were any changes I am not aware off, please apologize me talking nonsense.
"A player with this skill is armed with something very good for stabbing, slashing or hacking up an opponent with, like sharp fangs or a trusty dagger. This player may attack an opponent with their stabbing attack instead of throwing a block. Make an unmodified Armour roll for the victim. If the score is less than or equal to the victim’s Armour value then the attack has no effect. If the score beats the victim’s Armour value then they have been wounded and an Injury roll must be made. This Injury roll ignores all modifiers from any source – including Niggling Injuries. If Stab is used as part of a Blitz Action, the player cannot continue moving after using it. Casualties caused by a stabbing attack do not count for Star Player points." [from BB2016]

Not any major difference.

The obvious answer seems to be that the Spiked Ball mechanic only triggers on a failed pick-up or catch.

A failed pick-up or catch for the active team (as opposed to the opponent's team [bouncing ball, for example]) results in a turnover so, yes, it's a turnover.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Jip wrote: A failed pick-up or catch for the active team (as opposed to the opponent's team [bouncing ball, for example]) results in a turnover so, yes, it's a turnover.
A failed catch is not necessarily a TO.
Only failed catches of passes and hand-offs are TO. Even that only if the bouncing ball is not caught by another player of the moving team.

So it could happen that a player fails to catch a bouncing ball (after blitzing the ballcarrier) he gets stabbed but it is not a TO.
Because stab is not a Knockdown.

This seems to me very good. Havin a TO as a result of a mandatory roll you did not decide to take would be bad.

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

So it could happen that a player fails to catch a bouncing ball (after blitzing the ballcarrier) he gets stabbed but it is not a TO

That's what happend, although it was a storm vermin lending an assist who got "spiked" rather than the grunner who POWed the BC.