Stand up and Take Root

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Stand up and Take Root

Post by straume »

I am sure this is an easy one for the tournament veterans out there so please inform me, but I did see two different interpretations of this:

q: If a prone treeman roots, and then fails his stand up-roll, is he then rooted if he gets up next turn? Or do you roll for take root again?

Take Root
Immediately after declaring an Action with this player, roll a D6. On a 2 or more, the player may take his Action as normal. On a 1, the player “takes root”, and his MA is considered 0 until a drive
ends, or he is Knocked Down or Placed Prone.

I would assume the rooting takes place and he is firmly rooted even if he does not get up, but since this got two different answers I hope this is a good place to find out.

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Stand up and Take Root

Post by GalakStarscraper »

You do not roll Take Root again for the drive after it has been failed (unless you are Knocked Down AFTER failing the Take Root roll) ... but you can still roll to stand up the next turn. Being Prone is not being Knocked Down.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

So to be crystal clear:

T1 - Tree goes down and is placed prone (double skulls!)
T2 - Rolls 1 on take root. Rolls 3 on stand up. Stays prone
T3 - Does not roll for take root. Rolls 5 on stand up. He is now standing and rooted.
T4-8 - Tree whistles silently from his spot while the rest of the puny WE team is getting smashed to bits.

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

This is interesting, as every Wood Elf team i've ever faced with a tree have told me that if you fail Take Root as prone and dont stand up, then you cant Take Root. Sounds like Galak say that is untrue :S

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

straume wrote:So to be crystal clear:

T1 - Tree goes down and is placed prone (double skulls!)
T2 - Rolls 1 on take root. Rolls 3 on stand up. Stays prone
T3 - Does not roll for take root. Rolls 5 on stand up. He is now standing and rooted.
T4-8 - Tree whistles silently from his spot while the rest of the puny WE team is getting smashed to bits.
Correct
Itchen Masack wrote:This is interesting, as every Wood Elf team i've ever faced with a tree have told me that if you fail Take Root as prone and dont stand up, then you cant Take Root. Sounds like Galak say that is untrue :S
You can't take root since you're already rooted. Once the take root is failed the tree is rooted until either the drive ends or he's placed prone. Failing a stand up roll isn't being placed prone, since the tree was prone and hence wasn't placed prone after taking root.

I don't see a contradiction to what Galak said

cornish
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by cornish »

I've never seen Galak's 'interpretation' ever exercised in competitive play. Either playing with or against trees. Although I've displayed and seen the root first, stand second roll order - coaches play that until a tree is standing the root doesn't stick and it gets rolled again next turn. I agree with Galak in its design however I just don't see it play out. He should know as he contributed to/ built the halfling rules! ;-)

It's something that I guess tournaments or coaches should agree before games. It would be good to have on the NAF clarifications page as then in NAF tournaments you can refer to that guidance. I would go to that in a game if it got heated! Generally it's just a game though and you can work it out.

Poor Halflings. It is only going to get harder! ;-)

NAF Name: Cornish
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Not an error ... designed it that way and have played it that way every tournament I've played Flings at.

If it is being played wrong at events ... it is because they are not actually reading the phrasing of the rule. I understand the error ... but this one is not a vague rule to me.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Not an error ... designed it that way and have played it that way every tournament I've played Flings at.

If it is being played wrong at events ... it is because they are not actually reading the phrasing of the rule. I understand the error ... but this one is not a vague rule to me.
I must say that almost every player I have played against gets the rule wrong. The being "placed prone" is confusing and could be worded better - probably worse if English is not your first language.
So its a great idea to get the naf faq into the real faq.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

This has been asked, and answered, on the NAF clarification page before.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

I did see the comments about it there (from 2013), but probably a good idea to add to the actual clarification text? Considering this seems to be a common mistake.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

I understand and yet do not.

Blood Bowl this edition ... has specific game terms that are capitalized ... these are states of the game. And if they do not happen they do not trigger. A lot of time was made sure that the specific game states were capitalized throughout the rulebook to be clear they are states just like Prone and Stunned. Anyone getting this rule wrong is ignoring the game states and how they trigger.

I get the the question ... and yes it could be in the FAQ in the rulebook ... but the rule works just like it reads.