Pass Block vs. Dump Off

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Pass Block vs. Dump Off

Post by Da Scum »

Here's a good one for everyone out there.

A player on the Blitz declares a block on a player with the ball. The player with the ball has Dump Off and declares it before the die is cast, now what? Does the Pass Blocker now get to move again, aborting the block? Is the the block resolved, then the Pass Blocker moved to try and stop the throw? Is the Pass Blocker, being the one throwing the block, committed to the block and hence not allowed to try a Pass Block?

Solution we did was "Being committed to the attack, and since that attack is not resolved until the Block dice are thrown, the pass goes off, then the block, with the Pass Blocker doing the block therefore unable to move as they are committed to an action that is unresolved."

Reason: ''
Even the Goblin coach gets a +1 to injury rolls! Ow!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I would rule that he can use pass block (he's allowed to use his skill after all) and loses his block (and his whole action). If the pass block move brings him next to another player, then he'll have to block that one after the throw is resolved to try and complete his block action.

Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Da Scum »

There's a problem with that, the Dump-Off is activated by the Block being made by the Pass Blocker. If there is no Block, then there is no Dump-Off, and the Pass made by the Dump-Off is before the Block is thrown. And Dump-Off clearly notes that the Block is then made AFTER the pass, this needs the player who is throwing the block to be there.

The solution the TBBF made seemed to follow far more logical sense, otherwise I can see a TARDIS being required to complete the play. :smoking:

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Related question, can u dump off after the 1st frenzy block and before the 2nd one?

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I don't see why not.

Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Da Scum »

Sure, that makes sense. As the sequence would go as follows:

The Player with Frenzy declares his block against the player with Dump-Off and the ball. At that moment the player with the ball has the choice of declaring the Dump-Off, at which point the Pass is made, followed by the one/two punch of the attacker. However, the player with Dump-Off can choose not to declare on the first block attempt. If the attack then succeeds, then they are not allowed to Dump-Off. If it fails in such a way that the attacking player with Frenzy is capable of making his second attack, then the Dump-Off player again has the choice of making a pass before the second attack goes through.

Sometimes the rule book is clear enough to picture it, othertimes I must admit it takes a bit of visualization to see how it works. :smoking:

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I don't have a problem with Pass Blockers being aloud to move because you don't have to dump off. Take the hit! It makes PB a little bit better.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Da Scum »

...the problem is where's the block that caused the dump-off in the first place, which is rolled after the dump-off is resolved?

If the player suddenly moves, he can't be throwing a block, which is required to activate dump-off in the first place, and which dump-off itself states is thrown after the dump-off is resolved.

It's right out of Rugby, the player is so committed in ripping his opponent's face off that they are a little pre-occupied to notice as they brush the gore off that the ball is no longer there to be found amoungst the entrails. :smoking:

Pass Block is a good skill as is, it doesn't need to violate the laws of physics to do so... :D

My two squigs worth

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Da Scum wrote:...the problem is where's the block that caused the dump-off in the first place, which is rolled after the dump-off is resolved?
As commish I would roll that the player performing the Block may not use his Pass Block skill as he is already in the midst of doing an action. This saves a bunch of headaches, such as:

Player 1: Pass Block
Player 2: Dump Off, Diving Tackle

Player 1 blitzes Player 2, who uses Dump Off. Player 1 responds by using Pass Block to try for an interception. Player 1 must dodge away from Player 2, but Player 2 uses Diving Tackle to stop the dodge. Now we have a prone player blocking another prone player who is also performing a pass... it's just too silly.

Keep it simple and it'll make everyone's lives easier.

-Balrog

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I would still allow the pass block player a chance to intercept the ball, which ever direction it is dumoed off.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Da Scum
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Da Scum »

Well sure, if he's in line to actually catch it. Of course this can lead to the wierd situation of him catching the ball, making the block, blowing the block and then dropping the ball and that is a WHOLE load of arguements. As now he's caused a turnover to immediately start his player's turn...I think...AUG! :roll:

Having it stick to actual physics of Rugby solves the problem...except in the above mentioned situation, in which case it would have to be ruled if it was ever a real turn-over, and for which team. :smoking:

Besides, it would look wierd him throwing a block when he's not even standing next to the player he's required to block. It's as silly as slipping on the ice with no one checking you... :smoking:

aristodeimos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aristodeimos »

I would agree with Balrog on this one. He should not be allowed to use Pass Block during mid-blitz. Keep it simple.