4 mini companies down. Moment of reflection from Impact!

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

4 mini companies down. Moment of reflection from Impact!

Post by GalakStarscraper »

When it was one company, I thought bummer. Then 2 (wow that is not good) ... but now that we are up to 4 miniatures companies announcing they are closing their doors forever over the last week (Tor Gaming, Spartan Games, On the Lamb Games and Sgt Major Miniatures) ... wanted to give a state of Impact!

We had a record Gen Con this year with sales up 50% from last year and 25% over our best year. We have run 11 successful KickStarters in the last 12 months. The only debt we have is $1400 left to pay on a loan to buy our 3-D printer which will be fully paid off by end of year. Sales have been steady and so far I've not needed to put out an S.O.S to pay the bills. If our KickStarter in September gets to Stretch Goal #4 (and your help making that happen will be greatly appreciated), we will actually be in awesome shape for the year.

I've seen a lot of companies saying debt is bad. I want to say debt is only bad if you are going into it just to pay the day to day operations. Debt to acquire new equipment that would do more good now than having it later or debt to take advantage of a unique business opportunity is good business as long as you've done your homework to make sure its a solid bet and if you were wrong that your company survives it.

I have several friends who have frequented On the Lamb fantasy range as well as both Tor and Spartan and the sci-fi mini world takes a hit from these two going under.

The minis world has changed so much in the last 5 years. Crowdfunding has become so important but sales after the crowdfunding is over is an uphill battle. I very much appreciate all our customers and wanted to thank you all for your business and I look forward to working with all of you for many years to come.

-Tom Anders (aka Galak) - Impact! Miniatures

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Re: 4 mini companies down. Moment of reflection from Impac

Post by faust_33 »

Glad to hear things are going well for Impact!, Tom. Sounds like in the past, things were a bit rockier, but at least you managed to keep things going and come out on the other side. I look forward to hearing about the September Kickstarter.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

faust_33 wrote:Glad to hear things are going well for Impact!, Tom. Sounds like in the past, things were a bit rockier, but at least you managed to keep things going and come out on the other side. I look forward to hearing about the September Kickstarter.
Product diversification and KickStarter both did great things to get through those rocky patches.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Are you going to make much more BB/FF figures? Are they working for you at IMPACT!?

Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

bound for glory wrote:Are you going to make much more BB/FF figures? Are they working for you at IMPACT!?
Yes. First priority is getting all the new 32mm scale figures we had made over the last several months into the backers hands and then the store.

1) The Impact! Pro Elf team
2) The Impact! Dark Elf Team
3) The Impact! Amazon Team
4) Rolljordan Volmarian Dwarf
5) Rolljordan Necro
6) Rolljordan Horned Frog
7) Rolljordan Silvania Elf

Though the last 2 had new molds made a while back ... I threw out all the old castings to make sure that all our 32mm scale miniatures were all made in the new materials we switched to in January that can take any primer (brush or spray) and does not need any special treatment to paint.

The molds for the MK1881 Dark Elf, Pro Elf and Wood Elf should be completed soon and then out to backers and then in our store as well.

Finally today I was working on adding a new 32mm scale Goblin team and a new Nurgle team to our offerings.

So yes ... I am working on new FF items and yes they are still working for me.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Those Rolljordan ones were pretty nice, unfortunately I couldn't do the Kickstarter at the time. I'll have to see what makes it to the store later. I'm also very interested in whatever Willy Kickstarters make it over to Impact!

I've never been a fan of Nurgle, but will check out what you come up with. They are one of the teams that I have never had minis for, but should get them someday. Goblins? I always like to check out the Goblin minis. I think I would be most interested in a set of Secret Weapon Stars. Also some Underworld Goblins. I've thought about converting some Night Goblins, but I'm lazy about converting teams and not that great at it.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

GalakStarscraper wrote:
bound for glory wrote:Are you going to make much more BB/FF figures? Are they working for you at IMPACT!?
Yes. First priority is getting all the new 32mm scale figures we had made over the last several months into the backers hands and then the store.

1) The Impact! Pro Elf team
2) The Impact! Dark Elf Team
3) The Impact! Amazon Team
4) Rolljordan Volmarian Dwarf
5) Rolljordan Necro
6) Rolljordan Horned Frog
7) Rolljordan Silvania Elf

Though the last 2 had new molds made a while back ... I threw out all the old castings to make sure that all our 32mm scale miniatures were all made in the new materials we switched to in January that can take any primer (brush or spray) and does not need any special treatment to paint.

The molds for the MK1881 Dark Elf, Pro Elf and Wood Elf should be completed soon and then out to backers and then in our store as well.

Finally today I was working on adding a new 32mm scale Goblin team and a new Nurgle team to our offerings.

So yes ... I am working on new FF items and yes they are still working for me.
So big sized figures because Games Workshop.

I guess its a great big DERP as to JJ's "2nd ed is where we want to be with ANY new Blood Bowl figures/teams."

Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

bound for glory wrote:So big sized figures because Games Workshop.

I guess its a great big DERP as to JJ's "2nd ed is where we want to be with ANY new Blood Bowl figures/teams."
I am a big fan of loyalty ... but unfortunately for this one ... loyalty to JJ's comment is just a way to have no sales. Lost track of the number of emails I've answered about "are these figures 32mm scale?" and after telling them no ... being told .. "oh too bad I really liked them and was going to order them but not if they are not the current scale".

Loyalty is wonderful ... but at the end of the day ... this is my sole income so I have to go where the customers are ... and they are not with 2nd edition. All loyalty to that original vision would get me would be the ability to add my name to the list of companies closing that started this thread.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

GalakStarscraper wrote:

I am a big fan of loyalty ... but unfortunately for this one ... loyalty to JJ's comment is just a way to have no sales. Lost track of the number of emails I've answered about "are these figures 32mm scale?" and after telling them no ... being told .. "oh too bad I really liked them and was going to order them but not if they are not the current scale".

Loyalty is wonderful ... but at the end of the day ... this is my sole income so I have to go where the customers are ... and they are not with 2nd edition. All loyalty to that original vision would get me would be the ability to add my name to the list of companies closing that started this thread.
With this excuse you sold me TWO teams of amazons and TWO teams of elves just in different size! :pissed:
My poor wallet!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just joking of course. The teams are awesome. :wink:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

As promised ... just posted a thread showing the Nurgle and Goblin teams I can now offer.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44353

So new FF out today!

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

GalakStarscraper wrote:

<sarcasm>WHAAAT? Loyalty to a game made thirty years ago isn't a viable business plan?!?!</sarcasm>

Don't get me wrong, I love the 2nd Ed minis and am pretty agnostic about the size change, but it's hard to fault Tom for giving the customers what they want.

Milo

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Tom, will you be offering the ROLLJORDAN Norse team in resin?

Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

bound for glory wrote:Tom, will you be offering the ROLLJORDAN Norse team in resin?
In the future ... possibly. Working on getting the 7 teams I have from him now out to backers and then up in the store first.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

How bout a time frame on getting the Willy, Bob & Jim, figs in (hopefully in metal)?

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Digger Goreman wrote:How bout a time frame on getting the Willy, Bob & Jim, figs in (hopefully in metal)?
Hmmm ... I have a new order going in this week ... so I'll check on those.