Gouged Eye WIP

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Gouged Eye WIP

Post by nyahoi »

faust_33 wrote:I had forgotten about the skill tabs part.
That's my fault for not updating in so long :D
faust_33 wrote:I don't know that I would trust myself to do that.
I did get a couple of cuts alright!

Reason: ''
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

nyahoi wrote:
faust_33 wrote:I had forgotten about the skill tabs part.
That's my fault for not updating in so long :D
More my fault for being old! I think it just triggered something in my head when I read magnets + bases, and how I was trying to come up with a magnetized storage solution.
nyahoi wrote:
faust_33 wrote:I don't know that I would trust myself to do that.
I did get a couple of cuts alright!
Uh oh. I've been thinking it would be funny to collect 'war wound' stories. Not sure if I would just make a post on this forum or do it through my blog, but it would be interesting to hear people's experiences.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Nice job going on those bases!

Keep us posted with your updates.
:)

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

faust_33 wrote: Uh oh. I've been thinking it would be funny to collect 'war wound' stories. Not sure if I would just make a post on this forum or do it through my blog, but it would be interesting to hear people's experiences.
There'd be some scary pics in that thread :D

Small update:

I've added the player numbers, and MacGyvered something to hold the models upside down, while the resin for the magnets cures.

Then instead of simply cleaning them with some washing up liquid or IPA (in prep for gluing the magnets and priming), I made the mistake of deciding to dunk them in some Dettol instead. Completely forgetting that doing so leaves a strange slippery, wax-like coating on the surfaces of the models.
The only way I've found to successfully remove this is to scrape a sufficient amount of plastic from the entire surface of the miniature. Every nook and cranny! Being glued to their bases this time though makes it considerably harder to reach at everything with a blade.

So that's where I'm at right now. Cursing myself as I redo some fairly tedious work :pissed:

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Oh no, sorry to hear that. I hate those major setbacks.

You might try Super Clean or Purple Power for stripping. I've blogged about the woes of painting and stripping many times here:
https://doubledowndice.wordpress.com/20 ... ping-pt-1/

Super Clean + an Ultrasonic Bath is my new best friend.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Nice write up! We don't them here in Ireland unfortunately. Fairy Power Spray was our go-to until they changed it's formula. AFAIK it's pretty much just Dettol or IPA for safely stripping styrene now.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

nyahoi wrote:Nice write up! We don't them here in Ireland unfortunately. Fairy Power Spray was our go-to until they changed it's formula. AFAIK it's pretty much just Dettol or IPA for safely stripping styrene now.
Thanks nyahoi! I would probably try to combine any strippers with the ultrasonic bath. At first I didn't think it was doing much of anything, but after remembering how much time it used to take, I'd say it helps a lot.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Any new pictures?

Rick Sanchez lives!
nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

bound for glory wrote:Any new pictures?
Not currently as I'm just working through getting them back to their previous state. I'll post new pics once I've reached further steps.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Right, back to this :D
All the models have been restored. After slogging through that though I’ve scrapped the plan of making my own shoulder logos. Transfers will do, as I think I’ve put enough work into these guys now. They're more than due some paint at this stage!

Player numbers added. Changed the '1' so I can use an 'I' in it's place to have enough for a full team.

Added the gouges to the skulls eyes. As somewhat unassuming as this pic is, these cuts were super hard to do at this scale (for me anyway!) The ones here are definitely some of the best of each example :D

Gluing in the magnets. The stands are to keep everything level whilst the Araldite sets. Since that takes a few hours, I didn't want to risk the magnets moving out of place in the meantime.

I’m now currently using the stands above to prime and varnish the undersides of the bases. I’m using 2 coats each of Vallejo primer and varnish. The primer apparently needs ~3 days for a coat to fully cure, so it’ll take a couple of weeks to do the entire team. Some people out there seem to have had trouble with the stuff so I’d rather not cut any corners with it.

After that I’ll just be adding basing sand, then priming the rest of the models finally ready for painting!

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Paint brush already in the work, or still waiting for the primer to set?

Love the little details you keep adding (gouges in the skulls).
I'm sure those will make all the difference in order to make the team stand out.
Keep us posted!
:orc:

Reedar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Reedar »

Very impressive dedication to detail here. I’m enjoyed watching this take shape.

Out of interest where did you get the sprue of numbers/letters from?

Cheers
Reedar

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Reedar wrote:Very impressive dedication to detail here. I’m enjoyed watching this take shape.

Out of interest where did you get the sprue of numbers/letters from?

Cheers
Reedar
Agreed, much nicer than the Gouged Eye team symbols that came with the latest models. I'm curious where the numbers/letters sprue is from as well. Thinking that's a better way to go than the water slide decals.

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

The number sprues are from Slater's. Believe you want the 3mm size. Impact used to sell them but no longer see them on their site.

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/alphabets.php

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Thanks guys! I know it's a bit slow going as I struggle to find the time, but I'm glad its of interest.
Axtklinge wrote:Paint brush already in the work, or still waiting for the primer to set?
Half of the team is fully primed and varnished. The second is sitting with it's first coat of primer, waiting a few days until the next. As I wait on them I'm carrying on with getting the first half ready for paint. Just glued the sand to their bases yesterday, and will be sealing it with a watery PVA wash either tonight or tomorrow.

Reedar wrote:Out of interest where did you get the sprue of numbers/letters from?
These ones I got are from 'greenstuffworld' as they were the cheapest I could find in 2mm. (link here). Some Blood bowl related sites like 'Comixininos' or 'impactminiatures' sell them, but they're available from a few other modelling sites too. A bit pricey, but if you changed some letters to represent '1' (such as 'I' or 'T'), then a sprue will cover two full teams.

Stout Youngblood wrote:The number sprues are from Slater's. Believe you want the 3mm size. Impact used to sell them but no longer see them on their site.

https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/alphabets.php
I used 2mm on these as I wanted to play it safe. 'Plastruct' interestingly also manufacture them using exactly the same mould!