Minis and Banners

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Minis and Banners

Post by faust_33 »

While browsing Ebay I came across this Human team up for sale. I don't know if the original owner just never got around to finishing the paint job, but I kinda like the minimalist paint job on these. Simple base paints and wash, makes them fieldable and identifiable in probably way less time. Something you don't see too often. Maybe people are too scared to post those sorts of paint jobs due to inevitable comparison with the masterpieces some people post.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/fn4AAOSwX ... -l1600.jpg

I also ran across someone selling the old team banners. Have those ever been scanned and made available to print? I'm kind of tempted to print up some to add some 'stadium flair' to our games.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blood-Bowl-End- ... SwX9FZGYaw

Reason: ''
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Minis and Banners

Post by harvestmouse »

Regarding the banners, probably. They're certainly not worth paying that sort of money for. I have definitely seen 'extra' banners for 2nd ed. A google search will tell you in seconds though.

2nd edition banners however will not fit current pitches. 2nd edition endzones were 2 squares deep and the squares were smaller than recent rules and much smaller than the newly released rules.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

harvestmouse wrote:Regarding the banners, probably. They're certainly not worth paying that sort of money for. I have definitely seen 'extra' banners for 2nd ed. A google search will tell you in seconds though.

2nd edition banners however will not fit current pitches. 2nd edition endzones were 2 squares deep and the squares were smaller than recent rules and much smaller than the newly released rules.
Thanks harvestmouse. Yea, I felt like $30 was too steep for me.

I wasn't thinking of placing them in the endzone. More like printing out some signs to stick on the sides of the pitch. I don't know, as I haven't fully fleshed out what I want yet. Maybe I'll try finding similar enough fonts so that I can create my own team banners at some point. Perhaps an homage to the originals.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

I painted my very first lead D&D type 25mm figure in the summer of 1977. With the old TESTORS glass bottle model paints and piss poor brushes I got from the Western Auto. I like to tell people I have better gear these days, but my skill level has'nt improved. :lol:

I paint sorta like those humans. Neat. Clean. Nothing wrong with that style. Mean to say, I will lose interest if I can't paint, as collecting and painting are first with me, even tho I belong to a long time league, The Thursday Night Hero's. I think I would have fun just running our league, as I don't usually make the playoffs, and I like doing the news letter, and keeping track of he league stats and what have you.

But as to that painting style? Looks good to me.

Rick Sanchez lives!
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

In my opinion, those humans look less washed and more dipped to me.
The very deep dark recesses on some is kind of a giveaway.

Since my eyes are getting worse and worse, my painting skills, never really been good, get worse.
So yeah, dipping is a very nice way to get minis that are looking good enough on first glance.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I've never used the dipped method. That's probably why they look different to me. It looks like the Humans were painted the base colors, and it's the same shadows over the whole mini, so good call on "Dipping".

Yea, I kind of like them. They remind me more of game pieces, like pawns or something. Still not sure if it's something I would be satisfied having on my table. I have less and less time to paint these days though, so maybe I should try the dipped method and if I find I have the time, add more highlights, etc.

I took a look at my old team of High Elves, and it looks like I never got around to anything other than the base colors plus some wash in the recesses. I can't remember if it was just because I didn't know how to do it, ran out of time, or got really bored.

I've been picking up the new teams for BB, but I'm trying to pare down my overall collection a bit. I used to buy enough minis so that one could field a whole team with 16 linemen if they chose. I think I'm better off space-wise to just use proxies, if someone really needed more Linemen than I have minis. Like say 'That's not a Blitzer, it's a lineman' or 'this coin on the sideline is an extra Lineman'. Also, in the past I had basically every BB team out there. I'll likely be proxying some teams this time around, like 1 team of Elf minis being used for Dark Elves, Elven Union, Wood Elves, etc.

The seller has more than just the Humans available. I wasn't as crazy about all of them, but I did kinda like the Dwarves and the Elves.
Orcs: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bWsAAOSwl ... -l1600.jpg
Cheerleaders: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BgIAAOSwc ... -l1600.jpg
Elves: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GkgAAOSwl ... -l1600.jpg
Undead: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ly8AAOSwh ... -l1600.jpg
Dwarf: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NHAAAOSwA ... -l1600.jpg
Goblin: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jfUAAOSw~ ... -l1600.jpg
Trolls: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G2MAAOSw8 ... -l1600.jpg

Regash

Post by Regash »

faust_33 wrote:Also, in the past I had basically every BB team out there.
As soon as my Slann Frogs from J_Bones camapign arrive here, I have that goal accomplished, including Bretonnia and Khorne.
(I will never ever add the Apes-team! Never! :orc: )

The pics you linked in this post do not look dipped, though, but properly washed in deifferent colors, as you can see the Greenskins have a dark green shading instead of a brownish, which is kind of typical for dipping.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Hmm, wonder if the Human team was one of their early teams and they went with washing techniques later. Or vice versa?

I don't have Slann, Norse, Amazon, Vampires, Chaos Pact, Khorne, Underworld, or Pro Elves. I guess I was missing more than I thought. I'm pretty sure I have enough proxy minis to make a full Chaos Pact and/or Underworld team.

Impact had some Slann minis on a recent Kickstarter that I liked, but I've never played frogs yet. They also have team that could be used for Vikings/Amazons, which I may very well pick up someday. not much interest in playing Vampires. Khorne, not sure about, but I'll wait to see if they even release them in the new set of rules. Pro Elves, I found the old BB minis to be ugly, and way too expensive on Ebay. Now that they are Elven Union, I'll just wait to see what the new minis look like or proxy.

Chaos Pact and Underworld are teams that I think would be pretty fun to get to the table. So I'll probably be looking at trying to cobble together a team once I get most of my new minis in better shape. I'm still cleaning up and assembling most of them, but hope to start priming at some point. And then the inevitable painting begins....haha!

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

$30 (plus pretty steep shipping for something which can fit in an envelope) is way too much for those banners. You can get the graphics, or make your own, and print them out on high-quality paper.

I do kind of like those paint jobs. Simple, but effective. The blank bases are kind of hard to look at though.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Regash

Post by Regash »

rolo wrote:The blank bases are kind of hard to look at though.
I tend to skip basing too and just paint them green... :oops:

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

"Bases". Ha, now I'm going to go off on another tangent! It's another area where I feel people sometimes go a little crazy. Black bases, yea, no good. Prettying up the base is one of the best things you can do for a mini. Of course, they now have transparent discs you can also base with, but I haven't seen them in person and can't make a comparison.

Back to bases. My first fully painted team (High Elves) had bases that were painted a light green like grass. Then I got the idea to have different bases for each team. Skaven would have dirty brown bases, Chaos would have lava/rocky bases, etc. I found some article on line how to make your own rocky basing material, and decided I would use that for Chaos. The material turned out okay, but trying to get it glued to the base proved a real chore. I added some glue to the base and dipped it, allowed it to dry. Later when I went to paint, the stuff came off on my brush, total mess. Also in my storage container, the basing stuff continues to fall off, and again a mess.

Long story short (like that ever happens with me)...I've looked back at those old High Elf minis and thought "That doesn't look so bad" and "It's clean!". So it's a really good chance that I'm going to skip any basing materials when I get to painting the new minis. I think instead of a solid color however....I'll try stippling some other colors onto the base to give it more of a ground effect. I'll have to research some ideas on how to best do that though.

Back to Banners. Haven't had much luck with an image search, but I imagine I'll find something or some close enough fonts. I actually came across a decent use for them other than on the pitch. I have all my teams in separate plastic containers. I cut out some small strips of paper and labelled each container (e.g "Humans") so I can quickly see what is what. Now I'm thinking I could use different fonts (or team names) to label each of those containers instead. Would be cool.

outcast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by outcast »

I really like those trolls - does anyone know who makes/made them?

"Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good." - Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

outcast wrote:
I really like those trolls - does anyone know who makes/made them?
Looks like Games Workshop's Ripper Bolgrot to me, with a reposed right arm.

outcast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by outcast »

"Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good." - Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

faust_33 wrote:Of course, they now have transparent discs you can also base with, but I haven't seen them in person and can't make a comparison.
I love the transparent bases. I know it's "lazy" and each figure would individually look better with a fancy base. But, all together, as a team, on any pitch, playing a game, they are great. Not some dwarfs with astrogranite following under them wherever they goes on the green field. I also like the clear bases because I can write the players skills with a wet erase marker on the base. I then made a snow pitch so the writing is easier to read. (I'm okay with little words floating along beneath each player for some reason.)