Zzharg Madeye conversion – help wanted

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Zzharg Madeye conversion – help wanted

Post by spubbbba »

I’m in the process of painting up all the star players and one of the outstanding ones is Zzharg. He never got an official model, just an illustration and many people use one of the WHFB chaos dwarf blunderbusses. I don’t want to go down that route though as it is a little dull and am not a huge fan of those models.

Chaos Dwarfs in both WHFB and Blood Bowl have gone through quite a few different design aesthetics over the years. This gives me some freedom to incorporate the elements I like. I also want him to look like a Blood Bowl player rather than a soldier and be clearly a star even if you removed the weapon.

I’ve based my conversion on a combination of the plastic Dwarf team and Khardron Overlord Grundstock Thunderers unit. I like the pose but am struggling with the head and shoulder pads. I don’t want the scale armour and certainly not the skirt from 3rd edition, but I do quite like the beards so am keeping that, but they may need to be a bit spikier.
I plan on adding a greenstuff football to the blunderbuss and making the armour a bit more chaosy.

The first idea uses a chaos space marine possessed head in the style of the 2nd edition range. I could add or horns in reference to the forgeworld range or hair such as some of the 2nd edition had. Another option is adding a helmet, either in a football style or a spiked one. Alternatively I could do a mask similar to the hellcannon crew that leaves his mouth exposed.

The other model has a helmet from the juggernaut riders more in the style of the classic mini-chaos warrior. The horns could be swapped with something a bit smaller or removed so he’d look more like the infernal guard.

Another option would be to take a dwarf head and chaos it up a bit, add the tusks or big hat so he looks more like the Forgeworld characters.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Zzharg Madeye conversion – help wanted

Post by Regash »

What a coincidence, I'm right now trying to get models for all sar players as well.
Since I've converted my my Chaos Dwarves from classic Chaos Warriors (just shortened the legs, see here), I went the same route with Zzharg.
The only problem I have: I don't have a decent gun!

(Sorry for the crappy pic, I only have the camera in my mobile phone!)

I've used a slightly modified WH40K Dark Eldar gun as it was the closest to chaos looking I had but it doesn't really has the right feel to it.
What is that gun you used?

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Regash wrote:What a coincidence, I'm right now trying to get models for all sar players as well.

I've used a slightly modified WH40K Dark Eldar gun as it was the closest to chaos looking I had but it doesn't really has the right feel to it.
What is that gun you used?
Yeah, I saw your thread with the skaven before but couldn't find it again.

I used the barrel from an iron drake and the rest from a Grundstock Thunderer. There is a bit on the bottom of the gun that is a bit blank and I will have to do something with that, maybe chaos it up a bit. But it feels large enough to be a blunderbuss and is suitably elaborate for a star dwarf.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Regash

Post by Regash »

spubbbba wrote:Yeah, I saw your thread with the skaven before but couldn't find it again.
Yeah, I decided to withdraw that thread until I had them all and only post 'em, when they're painted.
spubbbba wrote:I used the barrel from an iron drake and the rest from a Grundstock Thunderer.
Thanks, I'll go look at some bits on ebay then! :lol:

Regash

Post by Regash »

So here is what I'm waiting for right now...

ImageImage
ImageImage

Those combined with some shortened legs should make an awesome Zzharg.
Will post pic when done, now off to get the chainsaw glued to a skeleton to make Hack Enshlash... :orc:

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Regash wrote:So here is what I'm waiting for right now...
Those combined with some shortened legs should make an awesome Zzharg.
Will post pic when done, now off to get the chainsaw glued to a skeleton to make Hack Enshlash... :orc:
Looks good, that helmet and those shoulder pads will make for a cool star.

Regash

Post by Regash »

I just hope the Chaos Knight body and the Dwarf arms will correspond without to much drama... :-?

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The body should be ok, the only thing to watch out for is that head might be a little small for Dwarfs.

I have made some changes, am thinking of going for the hellcannon look. Not 100% convinced on the head and might get one from the blood warrior unit with the exposed mouth.

Regash

Post by Regash »

spubbbba wrote:the only thing to watch out for is that head might be a little small for Dwarfs[/img]
Well, all of my Chaos Dwrves are converted from old Chaos Warriors by, more or less, just chopping their legs. So, apart from the Dwarf arms and cannon, everything else on my Zzharg will be Chaos bits.
I also ordered another Chaos Knight head to go on my WIP Hthark, made from a horses body and a Chaos Warrior torso, arms and head.
But the head I had left looks so feeble, so I ordered one with much more horns! :lol:

What I think strange abour your model is the way he holds the gun.
It just looks to big and to heavy to be held upwards in a relaxed stance like that and with only one arm.
As you are working with bluetac (or so it seems on the pic) maybe try some other poses and see if you like 'em better?
And also, yeah, the head... But for me it's mostly those ridiculous braided beards, they just don't work for me.
But if that fits the overall look of your team, go for it!
It's gotta suit your gusto, not mine!

Regash

Post by Regash »

Okay, here's my final but unpainted version of Zzharg.
I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Image Image

I think he'll look like a star when playing for these guys.

The dwarven arms and cannon work really well with the Chaos Knight parts.
Only the old CK lower body had to be filed down to make a match to the newer torso but that was a piece of cake!

And here is my Hthark alongside one of his already painted Bull Centaur colleagues.
I will probably need to add some Greenstuff as neck to make the head blend in more, as the CW had their heads in a hunched position and the new CK in an upright position (see ZZharg!).