Old GW Teams return to GW store from 8th for one week

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Re: Old GW Teams return to GW store from 8th for one week

Post by bound for glory »

To the member who asked if there were 2 different Bull Centaurs? No, in fact, there was only the star player Bull(Hathac?)

I have about 4 of that figure. You can't really do anything with it; I took the "spike" off one of their hats. And you can kind of "twist" the figures torso to make it look a bit different, but other then that, its the same star player. Can't do much with it...

Reason: ''
Rick Sanchez lives!
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

bound for glory wrote:...No, in fact, there was only the star player Bull(Hathac?)...
Hthark the Unstoppable.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

MagicElmo wrote:I can see Chaos Dwarfs been hugely popular because as of yet, I haven't seen a 3rd party miniature company been able to make some closely as nice.
the willy one is a great proxy!

do you miss the big hat?

neilnickson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neilnickson »

bound for glory wrote:To the member who asked if there were 2 different Bull Centaurs? No, in fact, there was only the star player Bull(Hathac?)

I have about 4 of that figure. You can't really do anything with it; I took the "spike" off one of their hats. And you can kind of "twist" the figures torso to make it look a bit different, but other then that, its the same star player. Can't do much with it...
Did this with one of mine, but definitely limited.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nightwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nightwing »

Spoke to GW manager at our local store today about these. He says normal practice for these type of 'model to order' things GW have done previously is a week to order, then a month-ish to produce and ship.

Or, more likely, a month to dig the old ones out of the back of the stock room in the factory :lol:

Scrumpy Scramble (2017), Foul Bowl 2016, SAWBBowl 2017- International Glowworm Award
Auld World Masters 2017- Most Casualties
Chimera Cup 2017- Most Touchdowns
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

neilnickson wrote:Did this with one of mine, but definitely limited.
simple and nicely done. i may do this to one of mine when i get the chaos dwarf team that i will be ordering on saturday. :)

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagicElmo »

It's amazing how memory can fail someone. I always thought there was at least one other bull centaur in the 3rd edition beside Hthark.
Maybe I just remember some good conversions and thought them as official miniatures (simple but beautiful conversion there above by the way).

As for the Chaos Dwarves from WM.
Huge fan of their miniatures, they actually brought me back to BB in a way really.
I never knew there were such great 3rd party miniatures until I stumbled across their miniatures (I really left BB for good quite a while ago).
Bought a team, just to paint and collect, then downloaded the rules and suddenly ended up having 3 teams from WM (with one more on it's way shortly and already planing to buy at least one more).
Even bought some other 3rd party teams later and then happy to see BB return and ending buyng the GW teams on top of that.
Sorry, I'm rambling on here.
No it's not the hats (I do love them though), as I also do like the new Chaos Dwarfs from FW and what Cyanide did with them in BB2.
But the Chaos Dwarves from WM, just didn't convince me 100%.
Now they came very close of me buying them, but it's the Hobgoblins that definitely ruined it for me.
I might get the Minotaur from WM for my (hopefully soon to own) Chaos Dwarfs team!

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

MagicElmo wrote:I can see Chaos Dwarfs been hugely popular because as of yet, I haven't seen a 3rd party miniature company been able to make some closely as nice.
I myself would be very keen to get them as long as they don't go crazy on the price (hope to be able to add two Dwarfs for sure).

If these would be the only teams they re-release, I wonder it's because the new versions of those are coming very late and as Darkson said, they want to give people the opportunity to play more teams at tournaments?

EDIT:
I'm a bit rusty, but didn't there used to be two different Bull Centaurs in 3rd edition?
Or was it one and the other was Hthark (OMG, why did I remember his name)?
Oh I don't know. The Greebo one has a chunky charm and the Meiko one is great

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

MagicElmo wrote:It's amazing how memory can fail someone. I always thought there was at least one other bull centaur in the 3rd edition beside Hthark.
Maybe I just remember some good conversions and thought them as official miniatures (simple but beautiful conversion there above by the way).
Centaurs as rostered players arrived in the LRBs, so the only model at 3rd ed was H'thark. There were a number of pointy hat centaurs from the Warhammer range of models however, so some conversions probably came from there instead.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagicElmo »

That's amazing! I could swear Bull Centaurs were always part of the team, well I'm obviously wrong.

I actually out of curiosty started looking for some pictures of the 3rd edition Chaos Dwarf team and noticed that one Hobgoblin variant is missing.
Maybe they couln't save/find the mold for it.

Curious now what will be available for purchase from the 8th.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Not sure if I will bite on this. I'm a stickler about scale, and leaning towards the newer minis as they are closer to a set scale. Well, other than the two refs, but I kind of view them as 'pawns'.

At any rate, it will likely depend on the price.
Chaos team: while I like these minis, I think I have all of them including the claw mutant already. Depending on what the new Chaos team looks like, I might end up selling them off.
Chaos Dwarves: I really like the funny hats on the Chaos Dwarves, so there's a chance that I keep these minis even when new ones come out. I'm pretty sure I don't have a full set of Hobgolbins or 2 Bull Centaurs, so this one I could very well end up buying.
Dark Elves: while I'm sort of partial to the old minis, I think a new set could probably improve upon the old. I also backed Tom's recent Kickstarter and will have some elves coming my way that I'll end up using as either Pro Elves or Delves. It also has always bugged me that the positionals are screwed up, including a thrower but not a runner. Yea, I know why, but it still bugs me. I have a full set of the old minis anyways, so definitely a skip.
Horkon - not crazy about the mini, have it, maybe more than one, I'll pass.
Trophies - pretty sure I'm missing one of the trophies and it was always expensive on Ebay, so this might be a likely purchase.

Other stuff? For the right price, I'd pick up a Lizardman team as I only have some plastic D&D minis as proxies. I can't imagine a new set would vastly improve the look of them, so probably worth it for me to buy. I could be tempted by a Khemri set too. Everything else I think I already have, or don't really care for the old minis, like the Pro Elves and the Amazons.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I wasn't (aren't) a fan of the 3rd edition BB figures - in the main I found the poses poor, especially the linemen, so not overly worried about the figures themselves.
I expect I'll try to pick up a trophy pack though - I know I'm missing at least one of them, if not more.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

According to my checklist, I only have 1 of the trophies, the Chaos Cup. Weird, as I thought was missing only one and instead I need 3. Guess I'll have to go through my boxes to make sure that's right.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I ended up getting 1 Chaos Centaur and the Trophy pack. Most of the items were more expensive than I was hoping, but about what they should probably be priced at nowadays.

I rifled through my boxes and I have enough minis for a Chaos Dwarf team, once I get the 2nd Chaos Centaur. I checked the size of the old Chaos Warrior minis against the new minis and they look a little puny. Which means I'll hold out for a new Chaos team when they come out someday. I already mentioned my plans for the Delves, plus I have all the old minis of them.

Was hoping there would be a surprise, like lizards, but nope.

MagicElmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagicElmo »

Couldn't resist, so I went for the Chaos Dwarf Team.
Just need a Minotaur now.

I would have liked to be able to buy two Chaos Dwarf Blockers seperately, but since I don't play competitivly anymore (just for pure fun) I don't really mind.
Guess my Hobgoblins will have to pull some weight! :lol:

EDIT:
My starting roster (exactly 1 million):
- 2 Bull Centaurs
- 4 Blockers
- 5 Hobgoblins
- 3 Re-rolls
- 1 Apothecary