Anyone Painted Black Scorpion Miniatures?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ragados
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Anyone Painted Black Scorpion Miniatures?

Post by ragados »

So glad I am not alone in having issues with Black Scorpion stuff.
I have four teams of theirs and have had mixed results. It seems they switched resin types in the last 9months - year from a darker grey that was awesome to a much whiter looking resin that is a LOT closer to trollcast. I have been using one of their cowboys as a test piece after basically having to restart with my first two painted teams (elves and amazons). I will be v cautious before priming my Orcs and Chaos.

I HIGHLY recommend a primer that is formulated for plastic and will eat a little into the resin, just like with trollcast. Even with this, a nail lightly over the figure will probably take it off (before folks scream, I did a comparison 4 figures plastic, fanath resin, metal and BS resin - it was the only one to come away with my finger nail like that). I will be posting a more in depth post on my blog in a few days (www.ragados.com) but basically - prime with a 'for plastic' primer (Krylon has one that I use), then paint it fast and be generous with the gloss varnish.

I should say the dark grey resin had none of these problems.

I've been moaning a lot about this with the other players in the league and one recommended waiting longer for the resin to dry after cleaning to ensure all the moisture was out of it (partially porous)... I tested this out (3 weeks in a hot, 0% humidity apartment in Cali...) and there is no difference.

As for the models:
The sculpts are nice, the mould lines can be a bit rough and crotch/pantseat sculpt is definitely rough. For the price point though you just can't beat them.

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I'd be curious to try Tamiya Fine Surface Spray Primer on them ... I have used that on a number of resin models (from Trollcast to Finecast to Bones to other resins) and it has stuck even to the fingernail test every time. Love that stuff.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I literally just finished painting the Amazons today:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37194&p=763773#p763773

I received them in June but have no idea how long they'd been on my supplier's shelf. They were light gray resin.

I cleaned them up with a knife but no soap or anything, then sprayed them with normal GW Chaos Black and went directly to work. I didn't have any trouble at all with paint flaking off.
Maybe you just got a bad batch? I hope they didn't fundamentally change their recipe or anything. I've been recommending them to friends.
ragados wrote:The sculpts are nice, the mould lines can be a bit rough and crotch/pantseat sculpt is definitely rough. For the price point though you just can't beat them.
Galak is a classy guy, and didn't point out in his reply that Impact! beats Black Scorpion on price-per-model for a lot of their teams.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Djay
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Djay »

It makes me feel a little less insane now that someone else is experiencing this. I haven't had a chance to paint since I made this post as I've been busy purchasing and moving into a house, but I'll try to remember to update this with my results and maybe some pictures if it still flakes off.

ragados
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ragados »

Took a little longer to write up than I had anticipated but:
http://www.ragados.com/2016/09/priming- ... anced.html

@rolo, Galak - Impact minis are fantastic and I have a team of Black Rock Dwarves, but I think they are still a little pricier for a team (and sadly not stocked by my FLGS)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

ragados wrote:@rolo, Galak - Impact minis are fantastic and I have a team of Black Rock Dwarves, but I think they are still a little pricier for a team (and sadly not stocked by my FLGS)
For a team the Impact line is cheaper than Black Scorpion, as most Impact teams are for a full 16 (or more) players, as opposed to BS's 12 players, but they're not helped with the cost of shipping from the US. For example, Impact's Amazons (16 players, full positionals) is [currently] £29.14; the BS Amazons (14 players, full positionals) is £31. If you wanted a full 16 woman squad you'd have to pay £39 and end up with 2 unneeded players.

Check out Tritex Games as I believe he's Impact's UK distributor (though I'm not sure what he has in at present).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Darkson wrote:Check out Tritex Games as I believe he's Impact's UK distributor (though I'm not sure what he has in at present).
Hoping to work with Tritex to get him fully stocked up for all the resin teams for the holidays. So yes ... if should give you local shipping.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
ragados
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ragados »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Hoping to work with Tritex to get him fully stocked up for all the resin teams for the holidays. So yes ... if should give you local shipping.

Tom

You do Resin!?!?!??!
<checks></checks>
Damn!!! That's awesome! I'd been going off of Metal prices!... This is gonna hurt my wallet ;-)

spleggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by spleggy »

Having had a lot of problems with priming Impact "Trollcast" figures using GW Chaos Black primer I did a bit of research before working on the Black Scorpion Amazon team.

I think it was a YouTube video that recommended this and it does seem to work very well.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... grey-500ml

=====
spleggy
WYBBL head TO
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Did you wash the Trollcast first, as a mate has painted 2 Impact teams (1 his, 1 mine) and figures from their Chibi range using GW spray paint with no problems?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

Yeah, I used Halfords grey etch primer on TrollCast and it seems to have worked well.