Omni-Elves and friends - update after 6 years!

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Xanthier
Experienced
Experienced

Omni-Elves and friends - update after 6 years!

Post by Xanthier »

I've managed to start up a relaxed casual 'league' at my local gaming group, so figured I should probably start working on my actual teams. I used to play prolifically at my local store around a decade ago, so it's certainly been a while! Having sold my only ever completed team, Chaos Dwarves, I figured I'd start the other end of the spectrum this time and opted for my main team to be Elves - Dark Elves specifically, but I'll be converting up positionals for all the Elf teams so I can use them at whatever for other games.

I used a mix of Dark Eldar parts, namely Kabalite warriors, Scourges and Wyches, plus some Dark Elf hands and High Elf Shadow warrior heads, with some Witch Elf parts mixed in. Pretty nice to have a fully plastic team, makes them light to carry etc etc. I removed all of the extra sci-fi cabling on the armour, removed the gems and extra spikes and generally tried to make them look sleeker and not just like Dark Eldar, which the Shadow Warrior heads help immensely with.

They're currently drying at the moment, having been base coated a few minutes ago. I'll be going with a green mottled look with orange and cream spot colours and black clothing. Umming and ahhing on a name - I'm currently learning towards Elf Insurance. Any other ideas?

The team itself has started out with the usual 4 blitzers, a runner, 2 rerolls and linemen to fill out the roster. They've had one game so far against a human team rocking 2 blitzers, an ogre and a smattering of other positionals with 4 rerolls and managed a TD by turn 4 in the first half, equalised on turn 7 when the humans managed a 3+ dodge, two 2+ GFI's, a 3+ pickup, a 3+ pass, a 5+ catch (failed then rerolled with catch), a 3+ dodge, two 2+ GFI's, a 3+ handoff and two more 2+ GFI's to score, all with no rerolls left. That was a tad harrowing. My runner was smashed to pieces, poor bugger, but he'll only be missing next game and dump-off was what got me another TD in the second half, quickly followed by a 3rd, securing a 3-0 TD, 1-1 CAS victory.

Thanks to all that SPP, I now have a blitzer with dodge, a blitzer with mighty blow and a lineman with guard, normal, doubles and doubles respectively.

I also tried out a Chaos team against a norse team and so say it was bad would be putting it mildly. Every 3+ roll with a reroll needed to score, failed. I managed to stun 3 norse, but otherwise couldn't get through armour at all. I managed to cas 1 norse lineman near the end of the second half, at which point I had 2 beastman injured (one with niggling now) and a chaos warrior injured. Furthermore, the norse knocked over and fouled a Chaos warrior at the end of the game, killing him. It was incredibly disheartening to say the least, but thems the breaks I guess, losing 100k in the first match is somewhat painful for the team, and I was simply going to restart them since they'd only gained 3 SPP from the first match - a pass and the cas.

Regardless, I think I'll keep going with them even though now it'll take me 3 to 4 more games to buy back the Chaos warrior, and I'll be starting game 2 with 4 beastman journeymen and only 2 Chaos Warriors on the pitch...

Reason: ''
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Re: Omni-Elves and friends.

Post by voyagers_uk »

keep faith, Chaos start slowly and the Elves have potential, I look forward to seeing them clothed in spite

How about "S' Elf Help" or "S' Elf Harm" or even "S' Elf Service"

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

On the plus side, your miniatures have fantastically captured dynamics imho better than anything out there... well done....

Neutrally, it is not inherently your fault that half the BB teams suffer from poor power design....

It is bewildering to put chaos dwarves and elves on opposite spectrums as they are both Timmy Power Gamer creme de fromage.... Perhaps from a mechanical standpoint they are opposites, but the spamage (spammag4; starting skills) is ridiculous in a "game"... Having "the training wheels on" (as you saw when you switched to chaos, AND played against another timmy power FAVE) makes one a poorer coach/student of the game....

You have great modeling talent... Hope to see it applied to a more balanced team one day.... :D

Keep trying with other, more balanced, teams... read bbtactics and fummbl websites... and lend an ear to Mattgslater, he's a tactics guru....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

And ignore Digger's comments on teams - he bemoans the "timmy" teams whilst promoting two of the best in the game.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Xanthier
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Xanthier »

Cheers guys! Those are some nice names there, loving those.

For me Chaos Dwarves and Elves are pretty different as the first, for me at least, was a bash team and Elves, again for me at least, are not and tend to be somewhat more dodgy and actually running places fast. Looking at most teams they seem to fit a 'timmy' description in at least one way - which would be the all round teams?

Overall previously I've played Chaos Dwarves, Dwarves, Humans, Undead, Necromantic, Orc, Lizardman, Skaven, Wood Elf, Dark Elf and Chaos Pact, though usually only one to three games with each aside from CD, Undead and Necromantic.

I've also managed to complete the proof of concept model for the Elves, Blitzer #2. The scheme came together nicely, though oh god I don't know why I did that number, I need to do that again for all the rest...

ImageImage

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Looks good.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

great scheme

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Looking great!
I might steal that scheme, or at least parts of it, for my upcoming delf team

cdwat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cdwat »

Colour scheme looks fantastic :)

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Note the lack of substance and sense in that blaggard darkson's ignorant reply and ponder why that belligerent non-playing waste of time is let loose to take up bandwith with simpleton nay saying....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Omni-Elves and friends.

Post by voyagers_uk »

Tbh Digger, even I am getting fed up with the Timmy nonsense you throw down. Which seems to apply to any team you dislike people playing. At least Heff keeps it simple. I always thought undead were too strong and too simple to play but never moaned about people using them

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I've been waiting for him to elaborate upon the Slann reference in his sig. I can't for the life of me figure out how spamming Very Long Legs is liable to attract the Timmys. :D

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
DizzyXI
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DizzyXI »

Digger Goreman wrote:It is bewildering to put chaos dwarves and elves on opposite spectrums as they are both Timmy Power Gamer creme de fromage.... Perhaps from a mechanical standpoint they are opposites, but the spamage (spammag4; starting skills) is ridiculous in a "game"... Having "the training wheels on" (as you saw when you switched to chaos, AND played against another timmy power FAVE) makes one a poorer coach/student of the game....
So... first of all while timmy is called the "power gamer" in the classic Spike Timmy Johnny trifecta, this means something different from what you think it does. Timmy is the player who likes a spectacle, typically characterized by big creatures (the term coming from MTG card design). Timmy would probably play Chaos Pact with all three Big Guys, or maybe goblins for the crazy antics; to go by the basic meaning.

I think Spike is what you are going for, the player who focusses on winning at all costs. You might find that information handy for other rants. :D
Digger Goreman wrote:Keep trying with other, more balanced, teams... read bbtactics and fummbl websites... and lend an ear to Mattgslater, he's a tactics guru....
I am curious why you suggest reading tactics books to avoid what you are calling power gaming. Typically they tend to be Spike focussed, or Spike-Johnny a lot of the time. Unless finding as powerful a combo with a supposedly "bad" team is morally superior to doing the same during team selection? A player should carefully gauge the power of each list before choosing it, to avoid the terrible wiff of using the rules and options available in the game cheese? An interesting perspective to be sure.

On topic: I love the minis Xanthier. The conversions have come out beautifully, and I really like the helmets having this "white hood" feel which contrasts with the rest of the mini and to me has a very executioner vibe. Excellent work!

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

great first post Dizzy

Lychanthrope
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lychanthrope »

voyagers_uk wrote:great first post Dizzy
Ditto :)