Karak Wanderers (Dwarf team)

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

This team was painted to replace my existing dwarf team which was speed painted and I have always thought could look a bit better.
This came about because I love dwarfs, possibly my favourite Warhammer race (it really would be a hard choice between dwarf, chaos [Nurgle in particular] and Kislev). But to date GW have never really got the models quite right to my eye, they have always been just short of the awesome artwork.
That's been fixed now with the new Ironbreakers/Irondrakes and Hammerers/Longbeardsbox sets, not to mention the characters and gyro-copter.

So I set about by picking up a box of each along with the slayer character and a gyro-copter to figure out how to build a team.
Below is what I came up with, which was finished in time for the NAF Champs and went on to win me my second best painted award in as many trips to this tourney.
Very pleased with that, it means a lot to win best painted anywhere, but at a 160 player tourney and against some very stiff competition it means even more.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to talk a bit about how the team was built because not only are the models nice but it is worth considering that many of GW's current plastic kits loan themselves very well to building BB teams from.
To put that in some context, Jervis didn't recognise these as GW models at first when he saw them at the weekend, seeing them without weapons and shields, and out of context, threw him for a loop and he thought they were from one of the indy manufacturers. I think that says quite a bit about the quality of some of the indy teams on the market, but also about what can be achieved with some of the plastic kits and, to be honest, very little conversion work or imagination.

And for what you get the price isn't always that bad either.

So, if you are still here, here are some pictures, and after an introduction like that the perfect place to start would be with two Avatars Of War plastic dwarf slayers :roll:

Why AoW dwarfs :?:
Well, the new GW dwarf slayer character is a great model, but I felt a bit too dynamic to have duplicated within a BB team. The AoW plastics are a perfect match scale wise, and being sculpted by someone who once worked for GW and has put his stamp on the GW dwarf range, the style matches very well also.

After blagging a couple of frames of unused models from a club mate with a huge dwarf WFB army I selected the legs I wanted to use based on which allowed for the greatest amount of metal work, this being a major feature of the team as a whole.
The arms come from the GW Ironbreakers and are used to give the slayers that bit more coherency with the rest of the team. Slayers may not normally wear armour, but I felt it was worth this break from the norm to add that coherency and as a nod to the idea of football armour/padding.

Next up, the Blitzers:

These are made exclusively from Hammerer parts. The helmets, the style of the arms, these are both things that make the models stand out clearly from all their team mates. Also the idea fits; in WFB Hammerers are the elite guard of dwarf lords and nobles, so it fits that that the glamourous role of blitzer in the BB world (which is after all a parody of the WFB world where football has replaced war) would fall to this elite cadre.

This also guided my choices for what parts to use on the other positionals. I decided that I'd stick with the scale mail armour of the Hammerer/Longbeard models for the blitzers, runners, star players and sideline staff, and use the heavy plate armoured torsos of the Ironbreaker/Irondrakes as linemen.

Onto the Runners:

So, as with the blitzers these two boys wear scale mail. I feel this represents well the higher mobility and AG of these positions, and makes them very obvious on the pitch.
Unlike the blitzers these two boys have arms from the Ironbreakers set. This gives a strong visual link with the slayers and the line, and further helps to make the blitzers unique.
Another simple way to mark the runners was to give them both bare heads; it makes them visible and I feel explains their lower AV, something replicated by necessity on the slayers and by design on one of the star players later on.
There aren't any bare heads on the Hammerer/Longbeard frames useable though as the only ones included are specific to the command models; drummers and the like, so the heads used are both from the Ironbreaker/Irondrake box set. Not a perfect fit it must be said due to the designs of the torsos, but an easy trim to make fit on plastics.

Finally, both of these models wear catchers mitts taken from the plastic human team from the BB starter set. Another touch to set them apart and attempt to show their role within the game.

Number 1 wears a bandana as a reference to his previous incarnation in the original team, along with an honourific seal on his shoulder to represent Fan Favourite, an attribute picked up during the club perpetual league.

Next up, we're on to the linemen/blockers:

Numbers 7, 8, and 9.

Numbers 10, 11, and 12.

Numbers 13, 14, and 15.

These are simple models, no conversion required. Lovely.

It is a simple matter to cut away weapons, and a bit of work can remove any sign they were ever there at all.
On all of the empty hands I've drilled a small way in to the top of the fist, creating a divot which can then be attacked with a needle file to create a natural look.
The lower, inside part of the fist has had the remnants of the weapon hafts carefully trimmed away also and a more natural look created again by attacking the palms and fingers with a needle file.

Another benefit of these models is the ball and socket style shoulder joints.
Normally, when ranked up in a regiment, this won't mean much as the models will fall into very similar stances to add a regimented, shield-wall look, and for ease of ranking the models, but when used to create a BB team these ball and socket joints are a blessing. They allow for sufficient variety of pose and suggestion of movement in the models that all look unique on the pitch and all capture at least some small sense of motion.

You may have noticed that all the players feature circular plates on their backs to display team numbers.
These are a very easy thing to add.
All plastic sprues have 'feet' on them; small, circular nubs that stick out and are designed to prevent the sprues rubbing together whilst packed in a box, which can cause damage to fragile parts.
These feet are perfect for number plates. Simply cut them from the sprue and trim (CAREFULLY!) with a craft knife. Then glue them to the player's back, shoulder, wherever, and instant number plate!

Finally for this post, no dwarf team is complete without a Death Roller:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Ok, so it's a gyro-copter.

I love the model; it's small, compact, and looks incredibly dwarfish and brutal. Whilst trying to decide if I could justify using it I remembered a scene from the film 28 Weeks Later, in which a helicopter flies low over a field full of zombies, tilting its rotors towards the ground and cutting them into sushi whilst risking a terrible accident.
That was all the justification I needed.

The model features the directional rotors from the gyro-bomber (same box set) in place of the traditional gyro-copter fins with drop bombs, for a bit more blending power.
At the front the steam gun was trimmed away so that the ball mount could be reversed in the socket (the standard model features a positionable steam gun, a nice feature but one I didn't need) to give a nice, smooth domed plate on which to place the player number.

And that is it really for the team itself. Very little work required for a very characterful team.

In the next post I'll share the star players and sideline staff.

Thanks for looking, and if you managed to read all of that, you show great fortitude !)

Cheers,
JT.

Reason: ''

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Re: Karak Wanderers (Dwarf team)

Post by JT-Y »

On with the stars:

ImageImage

Boomer Eziason and Barik Farblast.

Super easy to make. The bodies are from the Hammerers/Longbeards boxset and the heads are spare heads from the Gyro-copter kit. I went with these for a more engineers guild look.
The arms come from the Ironbreakers/Irondrakes boxset.
In this edition of the game Ironbreaker unit champions can carry something called 'cinder bombs', so making Barik was a breeze.
And Irondrakes carry big flame cannon things, which as you can see work perfectly for Boomer's bazooka.

The best conversions are the ones yo don't have to convert.

ImageImage

Flint Churnblade and Zara The Slayer.

Flint was easy and I'm very pleased with how he turned out for such a simple conversion.
Again, his head comes from the Gyro-copter, but this time is a bare head to reflect the lower armour value. Very useful that the Gyro kit comes with 4 alternate heads.
The chainsaw was made by simply cutting the barrel from an Irondrake gun and gluing a marine chainsword in its place. A bit of greenstuff to fix up the gaps and cut tubes and bingo; chainsaw.

Zara is this years limited edition White Dwarf model. I just couldn't resit it really, it works so well.

ImageImage

Grim Ironjaw and Morg n Thorg.

Grim is the new slayer character from GW. He's a great model, but I thought too dynamic to use as the standard slayers on the roster. Perfect for a star though.
His arms have been removed and replaced with Ironbreaker arms, as per the other slayers,again to tie in with the team better. And the scenic base the model comes with has been used but reduced a bit in height, which also gave him an interesting offset on the base.

Morg is a standard ogre, but with the forearms from WFB Blorcs which are a great size match and give him some really brutal punching fists. This also gave a bit more metal to paint for a stronger tie in with the rest of the team.
The gutplate is a Longbeard shield, a perfect size match which went on with no issues.
Finally, the mohawk is a left over Avatars of War bit from amongst the bits I scrounged. I gave a lot of thought on how I could make an ogre look like the rest of the dwarfs. Eventually it occured to me that I didn't need to; I could just make him look like an over sized slayer.

ImageImage

Morg's tattoo's kinda make up for the arms and torso's being covered on the other slayers. They are intended to reflect several different races that he's worked for along with a CACK club logo on his right shoulder.

ImageImage

Wizard/Apothecary, Coach and Cheerleader.

The wizard/apo is a runepriest with a clipboard from the dwarf artillery set.
Both the coach and cheerleader are standard command figures from the Longbeards frames. I went with command figures like this because I feel it fits the gnarly dwarf nature well and it meant that out of twenty dwarfs from the two regiment sets only two went unused.

ImageImage

Team tokens.

From top:
Turn/Score marker (there are two of these), made from the Ironbreaker standard top.
Reroll markers (8 in total) these are made from the Irondrake standard top. 6 extra were picked up from a bits store on eBay. This logo was emulated by Alex and graces the centre of the teams own pitch.
Prone/stunned death roller marker, made from a couple of axes and a longbeard shield, because there is no way that gyro-copter will lie down on a standard pitch!
Fame and weather markers. Nice and small to fit the trackers on the teams custom pitch. They are standard toppers from the longbeards set.

And finally, the ball, painted and based to fit the scheme of the team, because at this stage it'd be daft to overlook.

And finally the team pitch, designed by Alex at FF Fields. A superb job as ever.

And that is the lot. Thanks for looking and any questions, please ask.

Cheers,
JT-Y.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Read it all... with relish! An amazing team. Have you ever gone into any details (on the forums? blogs?) about your painting process? I'd like to know how one gets to be able to paint like this...

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Spectacular painting on... well... dwarfs....

Oh, how youth wastes its talents.... :wink:

Seriously fantastic painting.... :smoking:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

Absolute joy to see your work. Top shelf work and beautifully unified team look :)

JT-Y

Post by JT-Y »

Thanks guys.

I don't tend to go into much detail on painting, it's something I can show easily but not so easily put into words. There are much better sources out there for learning the techniques and understanding them, better than I could do.

What I will say is that the overall colour was, in many ways, a happy accident.
I aimed for a highly polished, new brass look, but off-set with a bit of an anodised look.
Purple works well as a subtle shade on brass and gold, and I over did it a little deliberately. Then when I showed Alex the first model finished to test the scheme so that he could do the pitch, he picked up on the purple and really ran with it. There is a fair bit of green in there as well which isn't instantly obvious; it'd show if it wasn't there though. I originally had that in mind as a secondary colour, but after seeing the pitch that all changed and I went back and strengthened the purple and decided to use it on the cloth as well.
Honestly it looks much better than the green I had in mind.
It always pays to run a colour scheme past someone else before committing in full to it, whatever you're painting and however strong an eye you have for colour theory. In my case I know I tend to default into certain hues. And with something like this Alex is great to work with because his take on it is to emulate what you've shown him in a 2D format, which as here can produce some very distinct ideas.

That also meant that the brass itself went a little brighter, which is good because in bright light the models actually change colour depending on distance and angle; they can look grey, green or even bright silver, the brass is only really visible up close or in dull light.
That owes more to the paints qualities than anything else; Foundry metallics are very strong and when you get the hang of them produce very realistic finishes, and the Vallejo washes really add depth.
The purple wash is an old GW ink and/or Foundry paint.

The base colours were over brushed on in layers, then washed, then drybrushed, before shading and hilighting normally.
What that does is give a very hammered texture to the metal surfaces.

Beyond that, it takes about 30 years of dicking around to learn it.

TheDancingClown
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TheDancingClown »

Using the sprue feet for number plates is a great idea. I looked at a sprue last week and then realised how tiny they are which only increased my admiration for the painting once I could picture the scale of the models.

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Utterly Brilliant, one of the best teams i've ever seen, you even managed to make a Gyrocopter look beautiful :o and i love the way that even the armour has a rustic purple to it.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Agreed - can't think of a better team I've seen. Incredible attention to detail. A worthy NAF Championship best painted team. Great stuff. Thanks for the pics.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
AllyRdr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AllyRdr »

One of the finest teams I've seen.

Ever.

My own dwarves just shuffled back into their case, looking embarrassed.

@AllyRdr - for occasional inane rubbish
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

JT-Y

Post by JT-Y »

I was skeptical clicking that link, but this one is safe.

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

:o Hugely impressed!
Absolutely awesome painting !

W

Fighting signature size creep ;)
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Very, very nice.

JT-Y

Post by JT-Y »

TheDancingClown wrote:Using the sprue feet for number plates is a great idea. I looked at a sprue last week and then realised how tiny they are which only increased my admiration for the painting once I could picture the scale of the models.
The discs are about 3mm diameter, so yeah pretty small. The scale of these dwarfs is actually about spot on for 28mm. GW go large on a few ranges, but dwarfs don't seem to be one of them.

An even easier way to make discs like this is with plasticard (sheet styrene) and a hole punch.
If anyone sees my hole punch please let me know. It's left home and severed all contact.