WiP log - Khorne chaos team

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Malfeasor
Rookie
Rookie

WiP log - Khorne chaos team

Post by Malfeasor »

I have ordered a whole lot of bits and pieces, and am going to create a chaos team with a khorne theme. I am not sure if this has been done before (undoubtedly!) but I reckon it will be pretty cool.

For the minotaur, I am using the chaos daemon prince boxed set, and I am going to make him similar to the one below, minus the wings (and weapons of course):

The beastmen are all going to be represented by bloodletter daemons, and I have ordered the boxed set of 10, as well as some tzeentch horror arms to convert one (or 2) into having extra arms.

The chaos warriors are going to be based on the skullcrushers of khorne (the new ones riding the juggernauts). I have ordered the heads, torsos, shoulder pads, weapon and shield arms, and insignia from the boxed set. For the legs, I am using archangel heavy legs from hitechminiatures.com. I envision the finished warriors to look something like this:

These legs are not completely ideal, however they are the best armoured legs I can find that will pass as medieval-esque. It's either these, chaos terminator/khorne berserker legs, or plastic chaos warrior sprue legs all identical.

If anyone knows of any other legs that would be suitable (like foot-knight legs in plate armour) please leg me know.

Any advice about any of this is appreciated.

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Khorne Chaos Team

Post by Shteve0 »

Welcome aboard, Malfeasor! Look forward to seeing your progress.

I posted some ideas on this theme a few years back, but a load of much cooler bits and minis have come out since then. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28047&hilit=Soundboard+khorne

Also, I don't know when the Avatars of War are bringing out their new Khorne ("War") models, but they may have some suitable legs? The ones you've picked out look awesome though, bru.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Norse
Da Organiza

Re: Khorne Chaos Team

Post by Norse »

the plastic daemon prince mini is gorgeous, but WAY too large for a mino... trust me, I would know... :roll:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Malfeasor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Malfeasor »

Hmmm, good point, it is pretty massive.

I have been looking at the Avatars of War daemon herald of war:

It's a pretty cool model, and suitably khorny.

Malfeasor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Malfeasor »

I've solved the legs conundrum:

2 khorne berserkers legs, 1 chaos raptor legs, and 1 possessed legs. Should look alright.

I've probably got another couple of weeks until everything arrives here from around the planet. Then we shall see progress!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

Mephisto
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mephisto »

I think this is the best way for you to go:

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.de/20 ... olves.html

http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.de/20 ... cters.html

Without weapons and backpack.

Malfeasor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Malfeasor »

So in amongst exam preparation I have made a small amount of progress. Let me apologise in advance for my awful photography. Hopefully during the course of this WiP log I will learn to take better photos.

Here is a couple of the chaos warriors so far. I have got some avatars of war warriors of apoc legs coming, but they are sitting on chaos space marine legs for the moment. The claw guy on the left has had a couple of additions from the forsaken sprue.

Here are a couple of the bloodletters (beastmen). The guy on the right will be my ball-carrier, and has got an extra arm (tzeentch horror arm).

And lastly my daemonic minotaur, represented by the avatars of war daemon herald of war. I didn't like the original pose, so I pinned him up a little straighter so he stands tall. I realise that the abs look terrible; it's my first ever attempt at using green stuff (thanks Shtevo for supplying it), and I will probably chip it off in due course and have another go.

More to come in the next few weeks! I need to have the team completed by about mid-August.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Very, very cool, congrats!
And you GStuff work is spot on.
Looking forward to see how this develops.

BTW your "ordered bits", were bought from a "bits seller" (from ebay and alikes), or does GW actually sells sprues of their new stuff?

Cheers!
A.

Malfeasor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Malfeasor »

I got bits and pieces off Ebay, and I found someone on warseer.com who sold me a few warriors of apoc legs (luckily, otherwise I would've had to buy a box of them).

I got all the skullcrusher of khorne bits from bulletbits (or something) on Ebay, but I wouldn't recommend him. Crap communication, excessive postage cost and the bits weren't shipped for 2 weeks after I paid, even though he advertises 1 business day turnaround. I'm happy with the bits though.

I'm thinking about making an extra chaos warrior, in case I roll a +ST on one, out of a bigger model. Perhaps the avatars of war marauder champion with the big axe. We'll see.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Axtklinge wrote: BTW your "ordered bits", were bought from a "bits seller" (from ebay and alikes), or does GW actually sells sprues of their new stuff?
All the contrary, GW cancels the supply contract of those that sell sprues, or if they can track them, those that supply the final shop. It was a new condition added to contracts recently. Great, eh?

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Steam Ball wrote:
Axtklinge wrote: BTW your "ordered bits", were bought from a "bits seller" (from ebay and alikes), or does GW actually sells sprues of their new stuff?
All the contrary, GW cancels the supply contract of those that sell sprues, or if they can track them, those that supply the final shop. It was a new condition added to contracts recently. Great, eh?
Evidence of GW's Straw-Clutcher department is hard at work researching new ways to make dick moves.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Steam Ball wrote:
Outstanding!
:puke:

And with that, they're actually giving a big push to those "bits" ebay sellers...

Malfeasor
Rookie
Rookie

Khorne team WiP log

Post by Malfeasor »

Just a quick update. I haven't made that much progress really. I'm still waiting for the legs of my CWs to arrive, but in the meantime I've been trying out some flesh tones for the bloodletters, and learning to use green stuff. Here are the 2 bloodletters I showed last time, and the minotaur, with a bit of paint:

ImageImageImageImage

It has been so long since I've painted anything that I feel like a complete amateur. I don't want to end up with too bright a red colour for my daemon flesh. I am not 100% happy with this, it's almost looking pinkish. However, I would rather this than the cartoon-red of most GW khorne paint jobs.

Here are a few more WiP bloodletters. One I clipped and stood up a little straighter, and sculpted some abs. Green stuff is hard to get used to! I've also been putting shoulder pads on them, with straps to hold them in place. I would like to put buckles on the straps, but I fear that it's a bit beyond me at the moment.

ImageImageImage

There's a couple of "blitzer" bloodletters, which I've repositioned. I cut and extended their back legs, so they'd look like they were running, as in their standard pose, the bloodletters' legs are quite bent.

I am quickly running out of right hands, now. I used an old-school genestealer hand for one of them, and 2 of the largest WHFB ghoul hands for a couple more. I don't really want to just "weapon snip" them, as their hands are pretty skinny, and it's obvious that they're holding something in their fists. A fist makes quite a different shape empty to full: empty, it is almost square, while when holding something it's more like a hexagon shape. I have thought of sculpting some green stuff "knuckle-dusters" but my preliminary attempt failed pitifully. It would probably help if I actually bought some sculpting tools, instead of just using a scalpel for everything.

Has anyone got any tips for converting/making/sculpting fists? I am going to run into the same problem when I start on the CWs.

Malfeasor
Rookie
Rookie

Re: WiP log - Khorne chaos team

Post by Malfeasor »

The more astute among you may have noticed that I have removed the bloodletters' tongues. I figure that they've got sharp teeth, and they play blood bowl, so they would probably lose their tongues in the first team practice. A hard tackle or a punch in the face would make them bite straight through it! So no tongues. :D

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Re: WiP log - Khorne chaos team

Post by Shteve0 »

Shouldn't you be at work? :P

Looking really good, man. On the buckle front, perhaps a few simple chain links would be good? If you took one and threaded a firm strip of greenstuff through, then settled the loop on top of the strap once dry, that might achieve a decent look. Just an idea. You could go a step further and push a small buckle tongue into the drying GS to complete the look (perhaps a small chunk of a clipped, er, paperclip).

Really like the red, by the way - remember the light in the pub isn't all that great, so bolder colours actually stand out much better than muted colours. The number of times I've been really chuffed with a paint job close up, but then find it disappears into muted brown on the tabletop...

Keep up the good work, mate :)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co