ChenZhen project log : Orange Block Dice!

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Re: ChenZhen painting log - Dugout done

Post by nonumber »

I was considering a similar combination display/dugout myself for my upcoming wood elf team. Very nicely done.

Reason: ''
"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: ChenZhen painting log - High Elf start

Post by ChenZhen »

Phone ate multiple attempts at this post.:pissed:

My current project is a High Elf team inspired by Sir-Skofis and his plastic team conversions.

Lots of putty work ahead! Updates and photos later.

Edit: Using a computer made this much easier! :D

Plan is to use the Dragon Knights as blitzers, the Bolt Thrower crew (after cutting sword and adding putty ball and hand) as throwers, the leg-less ones with putty legs and shortened armour skirts as catchers (adding catching gloves), and the Unicorn Helmed Knight as Soaren Hightower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: ChenZhen painting log - 1 team in 1 week challenge! - Sl

Post by ChenZhen »

I really enjoy converting teams. I also have a ton of bits and odds and ends, so this means that there are plenty of hobby related distractions to fill up my time. Our local league is starting this Saturday, August 31. I am playing Slann in the league. I received the team in the mail July 22, however, I didn't do anything with them until the Sunday before our 1st Game Day!

So... as someone who champions playing with painted minis, I need to kick it into high gear to paint a team in 1 week. I'll post my progress (and eventually pics) as I go.

Sunday - clean up minis. Remove mould lines. Decide on style of base. Wash minis. Glue to base and putty gaps. Heat wave in Minnesota with no AC is rough!

Monday - Get home from work. Our fans say it is 90 F in our house. I pack up slann and paints and go to the mom-in-laws house (with AC). Prime minis. Paint from 9-11. Get all flesh done. Fourteen frogs, inking in the interest of speed. Calling it a night.

Edit: now with WIP shots.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I am looking forward to seeing these chaps!

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
velvet mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by velvet mark »

Yeah good luck with the challenge. You ll do it! Show us some WIP shots:)

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

velvet mark wrote:Yeah good luck with the challenge. You ll do it! Show us some WIP shots:)
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm taking WIP shots. Edit: WIP shots now added!
Fassbinder75 wrote:I am looking forward to seeing these chaps!
:orc: I appreciate the trade! You made this possible.

Tuesday - looked at the skin, and it wasn't dark enough. Went over it again with a mix of green ink and Future floor finish (an acrylic floor protection product that works great on minis). Mixing it with the ink made the ink thicker. It settled in the recesses of the frogs much more easily (and helps protect the paint job, too). The new darker skin looked much better.

My favorite color is orange, which looks great with the dark green, so team colors were set. Went over all the cloth, armour, and straps with orange.

After finishing for the night I realize that I need to go over a bunch of the orange sections with white first. Too much of the green spilled over. Still feeling good about the challenge. Still have eyes, tongues, and bone details to paint. Need to do clean up on orange bits, and will want to touch up some skin. Bases also need to be done, but it is only Tuesday.

ulvardar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ulvardar »

Amazing result on the skin for just a day of work. So, if I understood it correctly, it's just Thraka Green Ink over white primer?

That's an outstanding challenge, and a pleasure to read your advances.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

ulvardar wrote:Amazing result on the skin for just a day of work. So, if I understood it correctly, it's just Thraka Green Ink over white primer?

Thanks! Yes, it is Vallejo Green Ink over a white primer. The Monday pic shows the result of the first coat. Tuesday I went over it again with the green ink mixed with Future.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: ChenZhen project log : 1 Team 1 week challenge! Slann -

Post by ChenZhen »

Got home from work ready to paint. Started working, but not feeling great, so calling an early night... There goes working ahead of the curve. Hope to be feeling better Thursday and Friday.
:puke:

Stompie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Stompie »

I need to get into this quasi dipping thing. Looks better than my painting!

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Thursday - cleaned up some of the flesh and orange. Fiddled around with colors for the base. I'd like to (eventually) go with watery mud... but with the time crunch, the plan for tomorrow is:

Paint the inside of the base brown
Paint outside base rings
Paint numbers on bases
Paint eyes on frogs

Get ready for T3FL season 1 kickoff!

Pic from today. I did a lot of work, but it doesn't really show! Looking at the pic just confirmed the need to just finish the team, then go back and tweak stuff later.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: ChenZhen project log : Slann in a week - Friday & Finish

Post by ChenZhen »

I got the team to a point they are "finished enough" to play. I still need to clean up some errors, shade and highlight, base properly, and fix the numbers (yeah, just that!), but I feel good where they are at for a few hours work.

Presenting: The Lucha Leap-Rays!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

siggyllama
Veteran
Veteran

Post by siggyllama »

Nice looking team, and I love the name!

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

i have that same frog team and have been at a ose for a color combo...very nice!

Rick Sanchez lives!
velvet mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by velvet mark »

ChenZhen wrote:
ulvardar wrote:Amazing result on the skin for just a day of work. So, if I understood it correctly, it's just Thraka Green Ink over white primer?

Thanks! Yes, it is Vallejo Green Ink over a white primer. The Monday pic shows the result of the first coat. Tuesday I went over it again with the green ink mixed with Future.
The skin has come out great! Ive never tried the vallejo washes but ill have to pick some up. (Local model shop has them for £1 as they are currently in administration)

Really clean colours J, I think it would be a shame not to finish the eyes off though, windows to the soul and all that :) Can't decide if i'd do them yellow or purple...

Well done with the challenge!