My Chaos Dwarfs - Spring is coming to Uzkulak (Nov 2 -11)

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Slackjaw
Experienced
Experienced

My Chaos Dwarfs - Spring is coming to Uzkulak (Nov 2 -11)

Post by Slackjaw »

Heya, got inspired by dines thread and concidering my orcs are completed and im sick of green in general, I decided to whip out the short guys and see what can be done with em..

I had the idea from the start of them living in the cold, harsh north being general badasses playing on icefields. On the image attached the base isn't done, but it turned out pretty neat in the end, think I'm gonna stick with it.

Still toying with the idea os adding fur under their shoulder armor, hanging down on their upper arms, but I might be blocking out too much contrast color if I do that, not sure.

Let me know what you think, 2 more guys are on the painting table with magnetized arms, waiting for custom made claw-goodness.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
Something Tough - My Ork Team (Completed) & Troll
^^ Vorgash New Order, tLoEGBBL silver followed by 4th place. Third times the charm! (or whatever!)
Something Ice Cold - In Progress!
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: My Chaos Dwarfs - a start...

Post by inkpwn »

Awesome results as allways slackjaw :D
I was begining to wonder when you would finally start this thread.

Slackjaw
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Slackjaw »

Thanks mate!
Blame those damn Orcs and the league finally starting :D

^^ Vorgash New Order, tLoEGBBL silver followed by 4th place. Third times the charm! (or whatever!)
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

they look very good, but the pictures are a bit burned so it is not easy to see the bases.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Very very very nice, and as they are chaos dwarves I will not even be snide about them

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
pressie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pressie »

Nice :D wish I could get my colours as crisp.

http://tripleskull.blogspot.com/

Coach of the Liverpool Blood Bowl Eirie Downs League. Join our Facebook group to join the league.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1850859 ... oup_header
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

nice paint work, but too much white.. the base needs to be rocky with patches of snow, rather than "iceberg" I think...

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Pitch Invader
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pitch Invader »

They look nice! I've been wanting to do a team with a black & white uniform for awhile: nice to see it looks good.

Are you going to get an Ice field pitch for them? If so, the base rings might be better in a blue-grey? I tend to like black base edges regardless, but if the bases & field are stark ice, and the uniform has a lot of black, the base edges being black would visually compete against the black of the uniform.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Cool! (pun intended :P )

Looking forward to see the whole team finished. :)

Slackjaw
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Slackjaw »

Slackjaw wrote:On the image attached the base isn't done

So yeah, it wasnt done, but I agree with mr pitchy 100%, the base DOES compete with the minis black, trying a "whole" base color first thing in the morning when the beer wears off. Even if I make a pitch or not, the base looks like it's part of the uiform, I see that now.

AND, Norsy, I think your point is valid, but I don't see much other options, I've never liked the "patchy" ice bases some people make, and I wouldn't know how to achieve that anyway... should I scrap the ice altogether and just try some pale grassy stuff? Tundra something? And how about the fur coming under the shoulder? good or bad?

Heff: Glad you can shift your pow when the chaos part is involved :)

Thanks, Dr V!

Very happy about all the replies, that's why I love this forum, can't do it without you guys! (beer talking again eh?!)

Getting a night sleep and I'll get back to this, your input is invaluable.

/T

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

fur under the pads could work, but:

a) what colour would you paint it? and

b) doesn't that just mean more work for you? could be good for filling joins, but seems extra work for no real benefit.

as for Norsy bases, how about the one my avatar is on.. do you like it?

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Slackjaw
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Slackjaw »

I figured some fur would give them more of a frosty look, wich I think they lack a bit atm.
Colors I had in mind, brown with kinda light highlights, or white with a blueish wash. Something like that.

And I do like your base, what's the secret?
Norse wrote:the base needs to be rocky with patches of snow, rather than "iceberg" I think...
This ^^ Appeals to me more and more.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

no secret as such, just sand and gravel painted up like regular soil, then small patches of green flock and static grass, then finally a few patches of white flock (or whatever the hell GW calls that stuff)... in some places I did that two or three times so the snow looked deep and was very white, in others I only did a light dusting to make the green flock underneath slightly more visible.. kind of like tundra I guess..

I did wonder what it would look like if I just mixed up my own batch of 50% snow, 30% flock and 20% grass and save some time, but never got around to doing it...

I only finished 3 members of the team before the Norse roster was changed anyway.. :roll: :blue: :pissed: :lol:

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

I'm glad my post inspired you to work on those chaos dwarves! They sure look really cool, love your colorscheme.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
Slackjaw
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Slackjaw »

I've been reluctant to post since I still only have my phone to take pictures with, but what the hell.

Decided on a "Spring in Uzkulak" basing theme, with melting ice showing the fresh grass and some berries underneath, I think it works.

Also, team name: Uzkulak White Death

First, three CD's done, still haven't painted their megnetized arms and claws, getting there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.