Converting An Orc Team

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Draig
Experienced
Experienced

Converting An Orc Team

Post by Draig »

Heya folks. First post :D. I have been away from BB for a long time. I played a lot when 3rd edition had just been released but not much since, focusing mostly on WH Fantasy where I play Orcs. So I decided it was high time to dust off my block dice and make a new team to play with. I signed up for the NAF as well so you may see this team posted over there too.

With a pretty huge collection of Bitz kicking around, I decided to use the new 40k Nobz as the basis of my linemen / blitzers. There are plenty of nice extras on the sprues and the shoulder pads are very blood bowl ish. The only disadvantage was the one piece torso/legs, which was simply sawed in half in each case to give me more positioning options.

Heres what I have done so far. They all still need filling, some moul line cleaning where I missed them and a bit of GS detailing.

Linemen

I followed the new ogre poses on these and some American Football photos. Pretty happy with the way they came out though some were a little fiddly.

Lineman 1 Front

Lineman 1 Side

Lineman 2 Front

Lineman 2 Side

Lineman 3 Front

Lineman 3 Side

Blitzers

For the Blitzers I wanted a more dynamic pose. I added a Jaw plate and a bit more armour, with larger shoulder spikes to make them stand out. Only one finished so far...

Blitzer 1 Front

Blitzer 1 Side

More to come when I manage to get my hands on more Nobz!

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

good start

you going to paint them red and white?

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Ah, yeah! Knuckle-draggin', ground pounders... gotta love 'em....

Good start.... I know you'll enjoy these when they're finished.... :D

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Master Wang
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Master Wang »

I would be lying if I said I'm not a little jealous those Nobz sprues weren't out when I was making my team last year. I went for that kind of look with the linemen but yours are better. Plus I really like all the pads on those guys.

Looking forward to seeing more!

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

I would be lying if I said I'm not a little jealous those Nobz sprues weren't out when I was making my team last year.
hahahaha... and if i remember that i had to convert my orcteam about 6 years ago mostly from metall mini.... :roll: :wink: Those plastic bits are just great now. Its quite a near-standard now to convert teams.

@Welcom back Draig!
Very nice conversions. Just keep the pictures of the making of coming like i did with my orc-team once. (Check out my website... section "bb-projects" ... if you like)

Traveller

zakspeed
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zakspeed »

They look fantastic!
Are they 'pure' nobz sprue or have you used bits from other kits as well?

apricotsoup
Experienced
Experienced

Post by apricotsoup »

Great work so far, loving the poses which is the thing most of these orc teams usually lack.

I wonder what your plans for black orcs are considering the size of these, unless you just add some warhammer blorc parts like the helmets.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Great job!
They look realy cool.
Keep us posted!

Cheers
A.

Brage97
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brage97 »

Hi!

The linemen look good.

I'm just a bit concerned about the blitzer, is his head attached to the body by his ear? Maybe he should be looking slightly more forward?

Akuu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Akuu »

Yeah excellent beginning ! Try to keep the same way for every player and the team will be a fear for everyone.

Can you tell me what kind of bits did you use for these convertions ? I'm very interressed as I'm doing an Orc team with my unused WH40k boyz.

For the blitzers and it's only my point of view you should make them run or block, I'll try to post photos soon

Great job :)

Draig
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Draig »

Thanks guys.

Grumbledook - Not planning on red and white. It looks nice, but every Orc team I see has that scheme. I'm thinking about it still but white / grey with red in very small quantities might be the way I go.

Zakspeed - Mostly Nobs bits if I remember, my bitz box is a bit of a mess with WH, 40K and BB all mushed together.

apricotsoup (dammit now I'm thirsty) - Thinking of trying out the Blackreach Warboss. I have a few kicking around and can scavenge more. Like you said, the trouble with using nobs is that they are pretty big already. Either that or I have a few 40k Warboss bodies that I could use, though the metal is less fun to convert.

Brage97 - Yeah, its barely hanging on right now. When I do the filling and detailing with greenstuff I'll redo his neck so it looks a bit more natural.

Akuu - The idea is he's doing both. The linemen are all static, but the Blitzer is doing a running shoulder barge. Maybe the photos aren't the best angle but hes much more dynamic than the line grunts. As for Parts I honestly think it was mostly Nobz bits, but by box is a bit of a lucky dip. I'll be buying a new box soon to do the other 3 blitzers so I'll let you know then.

More to come in a day or so when I get down to the store for more bodies!

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Draig wrote:Grumbledook - Not planning on red and white. It looks nice, but every Orc team I see has that scheme. I'm thinking about it still but white / grey with red in very small quantities might be the way I go.
yer I was kinda joking/hoping you wouldn't ;]

Akuu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Akuu »

Draig wrote:
Akuu - The idea is he's doing both. The linemen are all static, but the Blitzer is doing a running shoulder barge. Maybe the photos aren't the best angle but hes much more dynamic than the line grunts. As for Parts I honestly think it was mostly Nobz bits, but by box is a bit of a lucky dip. I'll be buying a new box soon to do the other 3 blitzers so I'll let you know then.
Ok, I took a look again to it after reading this and yes it's blitzing with the shoulder. I think the "problem" (if we can call it a problem) comes from the legs. The body is charging but the legs are walking and by the way break the result you wanted to make.
Nevermind, this kind of conversions are pretty to look at and we must applause the work.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

and here's me who just finished rushing out a team made out of a box of Ork Boyz and a box of Black Orcs...and they're...umm...red with bits of white.

In fairness, I think a lot of people choose that scheme because Blue doesn't really work with green skin, yellow is a PITA to paint, black is tricky to make look good, White is VERY hard to do well and Green would look silly.

I went with Red simply because it was quick and easy.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

seen a couple of orc teams in blue that look good

though the yellow on trav's and norse's team mark them out somewhat

guess i'll have to think about what colour scheme to do mine when i'm done