Even more Chaos - Hellforge Hammers (update May 1st, 2006)

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Even more Chaos - Hellforge Hammers (update May 1st, 2006)

Post by Urb »

I had this guy sitting on my desk for some time now slowly tinkering away at it. Chaos were my first team I've ever played so I wanted to do them justice as my original paint scheme was horrendeous. My motivation was very low but after seeing Sallacious awesome Enforcers of Chaos I was able find some inspiration and get this guy done.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have much time to complete the whole team as other projects have arisen. Hmmm is that even a real word?

Anyways let me know what you think.

I updated this guy too.. repainted the center of the knee pads to grey but it's too grey. I think it should be black like the shoulder pads.. maybe in a few days I'll get that done.

Reason: ''
Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Sallacious
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sallacious »

ahhhhh....competition!!!!
hahaha. Very well done Urb. I love the yellow... man... you have mastered that colour. I am glad I could be of help with the inspiration...lol.

Question... how do you take such awesome pictures? I have a good digital camera... Canon Powershot. What is your secret?

Thunderbowl (Surrey, BC)

Nuffle... stop #%@*ing with me!
Apprentice Blasphemer
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
goonerz
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by goonerz »

Hi Urb,

They look Fantastic! #

a quick question though how did you do the NMM gold so well! i have tried but just can't manage gold! :pissed: the other colours are fine :)

Cheers,
GoonerZ

fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

Superb as always Urb. Now I don't feel like posting up my completed set of Chaos Warriors. They look crud in comparison to yours and Salls.

Musta Surma
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Musta Surma »

Great work, I really like what you have done with yellow. The paint that you use is that from GW or an other vendor?

Success renders the foolish wise,
and failure makes the wise foolish!
mlindsay2706
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mlindsay2706 »

damn...you make chaos proud!!

[size=67]And death climbs up the steps one by one,
To give you the rose that's been burnt by her sun

Point me to the sky above
I can't get there on my own
Walk me to the graveyard
<b>Dig up her bones</b>[/size]
Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

Sallacious - Competition? Maybe a little but it's more that we have to show that Canada has some credible artists as well. I wish I had your talent at graphic design.

oh pictures. I have a Canon Powershot as well. A75. Just the basics. Macro mode, camera about 6-8" away from the model, use a low reflective background, and more than one light source. 3 lamps are ideal. One nice thing about the Canon line is it comes with software that lets you use your computer to take the shots remotely. Invaluable.

Musta Surma - I use GW for the most part but I've been dabbling with Vallejo. I find both lines offer characteristics useful for various techniques.

goonerz:

- GW Leprous brown as a base.
- In the areas I want dark I shade with GW Beastial brown using very thin coats.
- GW Golden yellow highlight
- 50/50 GW Golden yellow/Skull white highlight
- Final GW Skull white highlight.

I do alot of inbetween blending/glazing. I'll write an article on how I do yellows with pictures in the near future.

Fen - I would never say your work is crud. Heck no quite the opposite. I bet many upon many would love to have your painting skills. I have to agree Salls chaos are excellent.

Emi78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Emi78 »

Awesome and very clean paintjob..., I like it very very much :wink:

grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

Looks superb but as criticism the NMM doesnt work as Metal for me.

If you wanna simulate Gold avoid yellow and use browns (bestial and snakeleather i.e.) and higlith with white....maybe a little yellow can work...but not as much as you used. It simply looks yellow...not gold.

Grotuk

goonerz
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by goonerz »

I think tit looks grat, im doing a necro gang and have gone for a colour scheme that reminds me of anime/graphic novel looks with the NMM so far. The gold is yellow but very bold and comic-ish which i like on a fig for BB or Necro, fun games deserve a fun bold colour scheme, keep the realism to brettonian knights and 40k armies i say :D

GoonerZ

Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

Looks superb but as criticism the NMM doesnt work as Metal for me.
Actually I don't try to paint NMM gold for the yellows. NMM is a totally different style than what I paint for the table top. For these figs it's just yellow but I totally see your perspective. I think there's too much yellow on the knee pad things. I should've painted the middle part in dark greys for contrast. My next warrior I'll try that. Input very much appreciated.
The gold is yellow but very bold and comic-ish which i like on a fig for BB or Necro
I find the GW blood bowls figs very cartoony myself. I don't want all my teams to appear this way but a few is ok.

Odium Khan
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Odium Khan »

Clear, crisp, absolutely non-metal-looking colours, Urb. Mission accomplished, as usual. However, this CW is probably my least favourite for some reason. Maybe it's the eyebrows. Or the shoes. Looking forward to the rest.

DOUBT - Formerly Europe's northernmost Blood Bowl tournament.
BUBBLE - Umeå's premiere Blood Bowl league.
fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

Strange, this is my fav of the Chaos Warriors. He edges out 'twin-horn' slightly. But they're both miles better than 'Bucket-head' who frankly looks awful imo.

Eggball
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Eggball »

Another great job, Urb! There have been plenty of compliments and comments on the yellow, so I'll just mention that I like the subtle grey highlighting on the black shoulderpads -- adds interest without looking cheesy. The reds are also very well done.

Bonehead
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Bonehead »

Well done, well done. I like how you did the shoulder pads in particular.

Reading my sig was by about three seconds of total waste of time.