Brrr! Cracked ice pants Norse pics

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Eggball
Experienced
Experienced

Brrr! Cracked ice pants Norse pics

Post by Eggball »

.... although I suppose "pants" has a different meaning for those of you in the UK.

Anyways: here are some pics of my frosty Norse, the Ragnarok Ramblers. They are the second full team I've managed to finish. I used a pretty standard Norse colour scheme but tried to make it a bit more interesting with the design on their pants.

Throwers

I know capes aren't popular among TBB folks.... They were used here to make the throwers look like chieftains because in my view the QB is the "spiritual" leader of the team, even if they aren't actually the most important player on the pitch.

Catchers

Mitts are greenstuff and hands/claws from older genestealers.

Berserkers

Not shown, but their capes are different colours (brown, white, grey, black).

Linemen

Snow Troll

This guy will have to do until Ewan's is available....

Re-rolls

Bloody carnage to spur the team on to do better and earn glory so they can get into Valhalla and hack each other to bits all day then drink mead all night. Or maybe it's the shield wall thing.

Reason: ''
Bonehead
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Bonehead »

Absolutely fantastic. I like them. The snow on the bases looks also very cool (no pun intended). Well done.

Reading my sig was by about three seconds of total waste of time.
Cubeface
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cubeface »

All of those minis are painted really well, awsome job!
Maybe you could give a little tutorial on how you made the patturn in blue...

Eggball
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Eggball »

Thanks! I found these pages really helpful for learning how to make snow:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/go.php/go/ ... p/aid/323?
http://www.thewarp.net/war/aerie/confro ... bases.html

But I found out the hard way that you have to add white paint if you're using white wood glue. Otherwise when it dries you end up with translucent stuff that looks like ice. Which can be cool but not what I wanted...

The blue pattern is a base of Ultramarine Blue with shapes done with watered down Ice Blue. I found it's easier if you start at the edges and work inwards. I also did a test where I highlighted the outer edges of the shapes with 1:1 Ice Blue/Skull White and then lined them with Skull White which looked really good. But there was no way I was going to spend ages on some triangles -- I still have to finish my Lizards, Chaos Dwarves, Gobs, etc. etc.

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Those are really great. Instead of capes, though, you could try giving a thrower Leader instead of Accurate for a first skill to show his "spiritual" leadership. Something to give them a little flavor.

I really love the team.

Have fun!
Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

Really nice work- Well done! :smoking:

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
Mick Moon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mick Moon »

very clean paintjob, well done.

I like the bearclaws for the catchers very much.
Is it made of greenstuff?

mattski
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mattski »

Sadly I am in the majority when it comes to cloaks on the field of play but these are fantastically painted. Especially love the Snow Troll!

Great stuff mate...

Carpe Diem
Phreedh
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Phreedh »

Great job mate, they all look amazing! Just one thing... a pity you didn't fill in the joints with greenstuff or atleast not shade them.

Nice one though!

/Phreedh

My dice create suction... =(
browwnrob
Legend
Legend

Post by browwnrob »

excellnt job, much better than i could ever do!

for a second i thought that you got norse to paint you a team and you werent happy with the results ;)

http://www.bbminis.blogspot.com
My Fantasy Football blog with painted minis!

I am selling off full teams that are unpainted as yet but would prefer to sell them painted, I have lots of teams, PM me if you are interested
kaboom
Super Star
Super Star

Post by kaboom »

the RR counter is a real good idea!

and the team look good also!! great job

the come back of the come back
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

it's clear from your cracked ice effect that you are an awesome painter - this is certainly one of the best converted marauder teams I have seen - but I wish you had taken some time to make the joints of the arms to the bodies more subtle.. one problem with using GW plastics is that some of the joints look quite apparent.. some greenstuff to soften the look would have made a big difference I think...

overall an excellent job though..

R

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Eggball
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Eggball »

Agreed -- some greenstuff at the front end to fill in the gaps between the arms and torsos would have made a big difference. It was the first time I've used GW plastics (at least since the very first box of space marines came out WAY back in the day). Also my first time painting human / Caucasian skin so I guess I didn't realize the pale colour would cause the gaps to show so much...

Although it might appear complicated, the design on the pants was not actually very hard to do. (Just time-consuming...) The shapes on the first guy I painted turned out kind of wobbly and rounded, the second guy was a bit better, third and fourth were MUCH better and so on... Beforehand, I wasn't sure if I could pull it off but it turned out to be quite do-able. My point is that I think it's worth it to take on something that seems a bit more challenging that what you can do at the moment, some excellent advice I've seen on TBB a few times.

Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Urb »

Just an amazing paint job. Quite a leap in quailty from your Dark Elves which are very nice themselves.

Excellent work....

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Phreedh
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Phreedh »

You could probably do a very quick fix on the joints by just using the skin tone paint - as it seems it's the wash or shadowing which brings it out even more than needed. And if you do that - why not throw some GS in there as well. ;D

/Phreedh

My dice create suction... =(