Paint the best figs first?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Paint the best figs first?

Post by juck101 »

Ok just about to finish lizard team and think painting amazon next.

Now Q what is best way and timescale to paint figures. I aim for about 3figures a week and paint best positions first. rare to finish a team :cry:

Always try to paint a fig in about 3hours but lizards are taking about 6-9 each. Is that a bit long??

Reason: ''
...the pope said to his aid...
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

In order to stave off bordom in painting a team, I try to mix up the positions I'm painting. for example, rather than painting three lineman in a row, all of who are the same figure, I would paint one lineman, one blitzer and one catcher, to mix things up.

Of course, I usually don't paint one figure alone on a team, either. I try to paint about 4 or 5 at once, so that it moves a little faster.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
Djengis_Khan
Legend
Legend

Post by Djengis_Khan »

I paint rather slow I think and am usualy happy if I can paint a model a week.. and sometimes I don't paint for a week.. (test week or something..)
now with my gobo's I paint 2 a week.. but I'm getting the hang of it and in the beginning I painted them more slowly..

Djengis 8) 8) 8)

The Future of Dutch Blood Bowl.
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

I'm more of an assembley line painter. I sit down and paint flesh colour at one sitting, uniforms etc. Its not golden demon work, but it gets the job done.

btw, what figs are you using for the Lizard Men?

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

I usually paint all the same poses at the same time, to get throught he linemen faster
then do the postional players one at a time.

ImageImage
misterwister2000
Rookie
Rookie

No Right Answer Here

Post by misterwister2000 »

There is no correct answer for this question. Because I am anal retentive, it takes me weeks (or months) to finish a team. For me, it doesn't make sense to pay all this money for high-quality models, paints, and brushes, and then slop paint all over them like a two-year old. However, I recommend painting at a pace that suits you. If you care more for gaming than painting, speed things up a bit. If you're like me and you want near perfect models (commensurate to your skill level, of course), take your time. Be warned: it's tough taking time with the models because your imagination wanders, leaving you guessing at what they'll do on the pitch once the team is flocked and sealed.

juck101

Post by juck101 »

cheers for advice.
In general I used to paint three at a time and mix colours as i go. But i have found actually no quicker to paint many in one siting becasue i go for around 8highlights for most colours. Cant blend very well wet paint, so no quicker for me

2Chairface - lizards mix of warhammer lead and BB figs. Got some converted warhammer skinks that look mean. When i get a decent amount of stuff to host on net will put them up.

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

I assembly line ALL of the line men, for example I'm painting up a Rotters team right now and I have decided to use only the two Rotter beastman figs for all of the beastman positions. Having only two different figs makes it somewhat less exciting so I want to get through these asap.

Then I'll paint my rookie Rotters then the beast of nurgle and then the converted Rotters mutations.

This is the general order I paint the figs though, get through the less exciting then finish strong because thats what I want to do...accualy finish.S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
FlameKnight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by FlameKnight »

With my human bloodbowl team I painted up to 2 models a day, but my paint jobs are rather basic and do not have any highlighting or shading, just basic colours.

"In Nuffle We trust"
Line Judge, Reformed Church of Nuffle
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

juck101 wrote:2Chairface - lizards mix of warhammer lead and BB figs. Got some converted warhammer skinks that look mean. When i get a decent amount of stuff to host on net will put them up.
Awesome! Thanks.

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I usually paint in pairs, and try not paint identical ones at the same time either. Blocking out is monotonous enough for me to not do any more than a pair at a time. With the Valks (last team I painted) I started with a pair of (different) linewomen, then one of each Blitzer, followed by a Catcher and Thrower, then repeated in the same order to give me a tourney ready roster of 12. I base them team in it's entirety though, it's too messy and PVA takes too long to dry to keep messing about with sand and static grass too frequently.

Blocking out 12 (or god forbid 16) at a time would drive me insane, and I personally reckon my quality slips if too if I get bored. I guess the bottom line is to find a method that suits you.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I work in pairs or four at a time as well.

I'll try to do the lino's first and then positionals and coaching staff.

Order does change sometimes but not mutch

juck101

Post by juck101 »

yeah blocking multiple always used to work for me. but found out since started a chaos army (slaves to darkness era warriors) that i paint same speed however.

Think the idea is rightly to paint to maximise your fun; which will in turn get better results.

Mostly was intrested as my mate who paints found it very hard to be enthusistic after finishing 12 figures. He paints very well (won a golden demon 98+99) but found it dull at the end. Just weird how I recently been painting one figure at a time and found more effective in time and quality than multiple.