Detailing

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Detailing

Post by mepmuff »

After a long time, I've finally taken the brush in hand again and started painting a halfling team. All in all things are going very well, but I'm a bit nervous about doing some details, like numbering. (If I manage that to my satisfaction i'll also add a shirt sponsor). Anybody have some tips for doing the numbers on confined spaces? Should i use a pen or a magnifying glass or just convince everyone that that smudge is the number 16?

Reason: ''
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

a small brush and a lot of patience...

also, start numbering at 1 and work up...

do not start at 99 and work back.. :wink:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Magnifying glasses are crap. I have one tried it once, never used it again. You use your 3 dimensional view and thus have no clue where the brush tip is. At least for me that's a problem.

Use a good thin brush (i use 5/0)for details like numbers. Thin down your paint until it's almost like an ink.

Use very little paint only on the brushtip ... breathe ... paint ... clean brush, dry the prush, get paint ... breathe ... paint ... who needs yoga? :wink:

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

this is my best ever number...

and yes, I do bite my nails... :oops: so would you painting 2 tone bloody numbers! :lol:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Flumox Fleebiter
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Flumox Fleebiter »

Nice number Norse, and I like how your painting makes the orc look 'dirty' if you know what I mean.

Just wanted to stress what Tim said: thinning down your paint is key, so that the paint just flows off the tip of the fine brush. If it's too thick, you'll just get gloppy lines that'll look like heck.

Grasshopper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grasshopper »

And if all else fails... there's always Transfers. :-?

Like a fly marrying a bumblebee, I told you I'd shoot but you didn't believe me
WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME!
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

When I'm doing detail work such as numbers, I often find that it helps to draw it on the figure first with a pencil, then painting over the pencil marks. I did this on my Space Marine army, where I used a lot of Celtic Knots, and it works well.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Post by NightDragon »

You also need a very steady hand. Are they 40K Orcs Norse?

NUFFLE SUCKS! NUFF SAID!
Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
[img]http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=4dd13d90-202c-2355-3cbb-46081754461c&size=[/img]
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

NightDragon wrote:You also need a very steady hand. Are they 40K Orcs Norse?
they were before I started... plus a few bitz of WHFB Orcs too... but mostly 40K ( I have a huge unpainted 40K army, I just stole a few SkarBoyz and replaced their arms/hands)