ref stripes

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

malki
Veteran
Veteran

ref stripes

Post by malki »

just about to finish the human ref mini, everything done nice and dandy apart from the stripes!

Are there any tips to getting the stripes good apart from holding the brush steady as possible and taking a deap breath!

thanks,

Reason: ''
KLK

Post by KLK »

is easier paint black stripes over a black surface.

KLK

Post by KLK »

sorry. I mean black stripes over a white surface...

sineater40k
Experienced
Experienced

Post by sineater40k »

KLK wrote:sorry. I mean black stripes over a white surface...
Well painting black over black WOULD be easier, not to mention it would hide any niggling little mistakes :)

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Expect to have to go back and touch up spots, or cheat and use a pen.

ImageImage
squiggoth
Super Star
Super Star

Post by squiggoth »

I always do white stripes over a black basecoat, and after that touch up the black and highlight it.

I have no signature and therefore I suck.
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

I do black on white, much easier to get the paint to cover. Its extremely important to get the paint to the right consistency. Thin as ink, but still covering well. Don't make the stripes too thin. if you are painting stripes around something (arms, bodies) it might be useful to add some marks with a pencil for orientation, so that you don't end up with a too narrow space for the last stripe.

<------ (for more pics of the elf ref, click [www] and browse into the Chaos Gallery)

Oh, and the stripes don'T have to be too regular if the shirt has some wrinkles, that's OK. If the shirt is stretched (arounf the belly for example), you might wanna try to have thicker stripes at that part as well.

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

I also find it easier to paint a thinner rough stripe first, then make it the right width after. It's a bit easier than trying to get one uniform stripe on the first go.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
malki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by malki »

thanks, all tips are helping, i'll be taking a deap breath, with paint bush in hand, later today!

Grasshopper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Grasshopper »

Or you could use the Car Detailing method and put little strips of tape on and then not worry about being too steady. Take off the tape afterwards *POOF* perfect line.

Like a fly marrying a bumblebee, I told you I'd shoot but you didn't believe me
WHY DIDN'T YOU BELIEVE ME!
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Grasshopper wrote:Or you could use the Car Detailing method and put little strips of tape on and then not worry about being too steady. Take off the tape afterwards *POOF* perfect line.
When you paint stripes on walls, the recommended procedure is to paint a coat of the underlying colour first in order to prevent paint from leaking in at the edge of the tape.

For example, if you have a white base and put on the strips of tape, first paint a coat of white at the edges. When dry, paint the black. Remove the tape before the paint has dried up to reduce the risk of pulling off flakes of colour.

Obviously, I have no idea how this applies to miniatures, but it seems sensible to me. :)

FUMBBL - http://fumbbl.com