New Slann miniatures project?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Would you be interested in a high quality team of Slann miniatures?

A) Yes. Sounds ace.
84%
B) No. Naff off.
10%
C) I would rather have somebody create... (List preferred team below)
6%

Total votes: 169

007hor
Rookie
Rookie

Re: New Slann miniatures project?

Post by 007hor »

Our team will become the Grenouilles Bleus in our family league.

Reason: ''
That was liquid football!
hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

am tempted with the idea of the Darting Dendrobates
Just so paint their skin in different colours for positionals based on different poison frogs (all of which are dendrobates by species) probably thinking about it too much!

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

different skin color is definitely the way to go with Slann.. that's how I was doing my RJ team...

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Tablet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tablet »

hissa-lives wrote:am tempted with the idea of the Darting Dendrobates
Just so paint their skin in different colours for positionals based on different poison frogs (all of which are dendrobates by species) probably thinking about it too much!
Not at all......

I was thinking of making Toador a fire bellied toad, have a google as I can't post images at work.
The catchers I'm leaning towards being yellow, with the linefrogs and blizters being more muted browns and greens.

GeordieBowl IX 2017 - Wooden Spoon
hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

Tablet wrote:
hissa-lives wrote:am tempted with the idea of the Darting Dendrobates
Not at all......

I was thinking of making Toador a fire bellied toad, have a google as I can't post images at work.
The catchers I'm leaning towards being yellow, with the linefrogs and blizters being more muted browns and greens.
that'll be a striking Krox!

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

i'm curious to see the size of this star blitzer!
definitly my favorite blitzer of this team (i don't like so much the regular ones already done)
€15,680 EUR raised by 178 backers
4 pledges for 5-team deals left , to reach the perk of the star-catcher.
22 days left

007hor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 007hor »

J-Bone
Somebody on the campaign said; "love shank and his back story is ace! will he be smaller then the other catchers to show he is stunty?"

To which you replied; "We don't want him to be too small as he needs to be a nicely detailed miniature..."

Do you have any idea how big he will be? Bigger than 23mm? Will he clearly be 'stunty'?

I only ask because going by the concept, he has the potential to be one of my favourite FF minis.

That was liquid football!
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

007hor wrote:J-Bone
Somebody on the campaign said; "love shank and his back story is ace! will he be smaller then the other catchers to show he is stunty?"

To which you replied; "We don't want him to be too small as he needs to be a nicely detailed miniature..."

Do you have any idea how big he will be? Bigger than 23mm? Will he clearly be 'stunty'?

I only ask because going by the concept, he has the potential to be one of my favourite FF minis.
Hi 007,

The plan is not to make a skink sized frog in order to make him clearly Stunty. The idea is that he is a small, less agile catcher that has resorted to other methods to getting onto the pitch. As I responded to the original question "but I'm pretty sure his deranged look and razor sharp knives will make him hard to tackle". I don't believe in having to stick to 100% literal interpretations of Blood Bowl skills... Much like somebody having a pogo stick that can count as very long legs I like the idea of this guy being a knife wielding psychopath and it having much the same effect as somebody being too small to tackle effectively.

In short, he will be small but he will not be goblin / skink sized as I think that would make him look a bit daft and would also mean that we wouldn't be able to make a really nice looking, detailed miniature.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
oozeboss
Rookie
Rookie
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Oz

Post by oozeboss »

Norse wrote:different skin color is definitely the way to go with Slann.. that's how I was doing my RJ team...
I really think it's a matter of "diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks".

My view differs in that I see these sculpts as being so good that it simply isn't necessary to go the phibian rainbow in order to differentiate positions. Which means that I can create all mine with complexions (and eyes) based on the glorious Red-eyed Tree Frog (Litoria chloris). found from just north of Sydney along the eastern Australian coastal fringe to mid north Queensland.

Now picture this exquisite colouring contrasting with the monochrome majesty that is the Raiders' uniforms, and it's "Hello Kroakland!".

"Everyone loves the underfrog."
PeteW, coaching the NAF Championship Prize (Slann) team, in a FUMBBL game
"I don't really trust a sane person."
Lyle Alzado
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I don't disagree, I'm not saying you will NEED to paint these guys different colors to differentiate them, but

1) if your opponent has never played vs Slann before it would be nice to make sure he knew what was what very easily
2) how many other races allow you the chance to paint them all different skin colors without looking stupid?

my head coach awaits the arrival of his new recruits with eager anticipation... :smoking:

painted based upon this little guy

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Norse wrote:I don't disagree, I'm not saying you will NEED to paint these guys different colors to differentiate them, but

1) if your opponent has never played vs Slann before it would be nice to make sure he knew what was what very easily
2) how many other races allow you the chance to paint them all different skin colors without looking stupid?
Why not to follow the convention for the color-base, for the skin of the frogs as well?
ie:
- yellow skin for catcher
- red skin for blitzer
- green skin for blockers
etc

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

babass wrote:
Norse wrote:I don't disagree, I'm not saying you will NEED to paint these guys different colors to differentiate them, but

Why not to follow the convention for the color-base, for the skin of the frogs as well?
ie:
- yellow skin for catcher
- red skin for blitzer
- green skin for blockers
etc
That's my plan, but I'll stil use real frogs as inspiration

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

J_Bone wrote:
007hor wrote:J-Bone

Hi 007,

The plan is not to make a skink sized frog in order to make him clearly Stunty. The idea is that he is a small, less agile catcher that has resorted to other methods to getting onto the pitch. As I responded to the original question "but I'm pretty sure his deranged look and razor sharp knives will make him hard to tackle". I don't believe in having to stick to 100% literal interpretations of Blood Bowl skills... Much like somebody having a pogo stick that can count as very long legs I like the idea of this guy being a knife wielding psychopath and it having much the same effect as somebody being too small to tackle effectively.

In short, he will be small but he will not be goblin / skink sized as I think that would make him look a bit daft and would also mean that we wouldn't be able to make a really nice looking, detailed miniature.
This is very much in line with my thoughts. Goblin sized the miniature would lose some detail which could be included in a larger miniature, so even if he ends up not being noticably smaller then the linefrogs I do believe that in this case the quality of the final sculpt will be more important to me then the literal translation of an available miniature JBones frogs team.

(The girlfriend also agrees in that she would think it would look silly if one frog was so noticably smaller yet mean and evil looking compared to the other frogs so in our opinion the right creative decision was made)

((Girlfriend just now mentions that if you really want a stunty to fill the position, there is nothing that speaks against buying an alternative miniature to fill the position. Shank would still make a great cheerleader in that case ;) ))

Only 120 "2x Linefrog" pledges to go before the next stretchgoal is unlocked! Yay! :D
So if all the League deal buyers and the early birds who did not yet do so, order an additional pair of linefrogs JBone will be forced to reveal the next Starplayer artwork ;)

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

anyone who ever tried to Blitz Hemlock would agree he seems to be St4 in any case.. :(

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Norse wrote:anyone who ever tried to Blitz Hemlock would agree he seems to be St4 in any case.. :(
THIS.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.