What happened here?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bwood42
Rookie
Rookie

What happened here?

Post by bwood42 »

I used to read this forum quite avidly. Real life caught up and I was away a while, but now I'm back into a BBowl league and came here to see what was up... and it's a ghost town! What happened to this place? Where has everyone gone?

Icepelt Hammerblow was my friend! I miss him!

Reason: ''
Respectfully,

Brad
BloodBowl On Chattanooga
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: What happened here?

Post by lunchmoney »

A lot of people went to chaos (discord) and hatebook, I guess.

It didn't help that the site went down for a few days (a couple of years back now) and everyone just stopped bothering to check.
Plus the software is woefully out of date and only the owner, Doubleskulls, can do anything about that -I've tried contacting him in an effort to letting me update things but I've never had a reply 🤷

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

It's a resource for tournament listings. It does that job very well. That's about it

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
bwood42
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bwood42 »

What's the discord site?

Respectfully,

Brad
BloodBowl On Chattanooga
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

https://discord.com/

Create a server, invite people to join, chat.
I find it absolutely mental way to promote a tourney, which some do, as any particular message gets lost in the noise quickly. But lots of people like it.
At least it doesn't require a real name, or any pertinent information that can be used to ID a person (something I have issues with fb about).

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

bwood42
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bwood42 »

lunchmoney wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:37 pm https://discord.com/

Create a server, invite people to join, chat.
I find it absolutely mental way to promote a tourney, which some do, as any particular message gets lost in the noise quickly. But lots of people like it.
At least it doesn't require a real name, or any pertinent information that can be used to ID a person (something I have issues with fb about).
I use discord! We have one for our local league and I'm in the NAF one. I was wondering if there was a specific one most folks from here went to?

Respectfully,

Brad
BloodBowl On Chattanooga
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

If there is I don't know about it.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

Forums are by far my preferred method of conversing about a subject, but they seemed to have just fallen out of popularity in general. Redit Bloodbowl is probably the closest to the experience of a forum of the major platforms. In many ways the problem is that the community has splintered in to separate areas like Facebook, discord, or the comments sections of YouTube.

Facebook discussions are bad because they branch and are bad at archiving discussion plus we all have "real names" there so that detaches us from our online and NAF identifiers, plus it's split over several groups for different aspects.

Discord is better, but communities are separated over individual leagues, tournaments, interests area, podcasts and unless you find an invite from somewhere else you are unlikely to find a server. Plus all the notifications can get annoying so you turn them off and then miss important stuff.

This place just got quieter and quieter in a feedback loop, with less to see there was less reason to visit and now even important things in BB don't get a mention. This used to be my go to for news now there is no point.

This is sad because I think forums with their structured discussion layout and their archiving is simply better than the alternatives, but without the traffic have become insignificant.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Mystic Force - I agree, with forums you can search things and follow the thread of what's happening, not with Facebook. I said something similar a couple of years ago and was told that I'm in the minority, that is undoubtedly increasingly so, but it doesn't mean I'm wrong!

It's a shame, but these things need a critical mass and we've fallen below that unfortunately. The FUMBBL still look quite active.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Mystic Force wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:46 pm Forums are by far my preferred method of conversing about a subject, but they seemed to have just fallen out of popularity in general. Redit Bloodbowl is probably the closest to the experience of a forum of the major platforms. In many ways the problem is that the community has splintered in to separate areas like Facebook, discord, or the comments sections of YouTube.

Facebook discussions are bad because they branch and are bad at archiving discussion plus we all have "real names" there so that detaches us from our online and NAF identifiers, plus it's split over several groups for different aspects.

Discord is better, but communities are separated over individual leagues, tournaments, interests area, podcasts and unless you find an invite from somewhere else you are unlikely to find a server. Plus all the notifications can get annoying so you turn them off and then miss important stuff.

This place just got quieter and quieter in a feedback loop, with less to see there was less reason to visit and now even important things in BB don't get a mention. This used to be my go to for news now there is no point.

This is sad because I think forums with their structured discussion layout and their archiving is simply better than the alternatives, but without the traffic have become insignificant.
+1 on this!

Everything seems to be so much scattered nowadays. Unfortunatly.