1995 Blood Bowl PC game and passing

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

prostx23
Rookie
Rookie

1995 Blood Bowl PC game and passing

Post by prostx23 »

Hi,
I recently managed to get this game running on DosBox and soon noticed that the gameplay is very pass oriented. In fact, it seems exclusively pass oriented. All teams (wish there were more, and why in the world is Morg not in the free agent pool?) including dwarves, work to set up the pass and to prevent you from the same. Now these here days, passing is too high risk to utilize as a primary play style. So for the veterans out there that have been playing since the early 90s... in the formative years of the game, was passing more dominant before it was discovered that passing first is sub optimal? Or, has Blood Bowl always been played as a run first game and the people who programmed the PC game simply not know how Blood Bowl was played by most table top coaches?

Thanks,
Mike

Reason: ''
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1995 Blood Bowl PC game and passing

Post by Mystic Force »

I think most of us were to naive to realize that the way to optimize winning for most teams was not to score as quickly as possible, but to hold on to the ball.

GW definitely reinforced this idea in their how to play guides in White Dwarf. And without the contact between people playing like we have these days via the internet and through tournaments. This did not get spread around as an idea when the only people you played were a few friends likely you taught to play and using your minis.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
prostx23
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 1995 Blood Bowl PC game and passing

Post by prostx23 »

I seem to remember that I played Blood bowl, passing first when I first got it. It was, after all, a parody on American football. I remember having a bit more success than not passing, so it seemed ok to me at the time.