Who else is excited about the new Almanac rules?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Who else is excited about the new Almanac rules?

Post by EastCoast »

Yeah, I know it's mostly a rehash of the Spike Magazine content, but 1) I'd rather haven the consolidated rules and 2) The new star player league rules look great.

I think GW is finally addressing a long standing issue of getting expensive star players on the pitch. Where as the BBRC often seemed to take it upon themselves to determine the "right way" to build a team, GW is leaving that up to the players. The biggest pros:

1) The most expensive Forgeworld Models see the pitch
2) The nature of the draft can really boost some lower tier teams
3) The removal of loner after two seasons will be a huge boon for Stunties. Gobbos with a non-loner Ripper, or Flings with non-loner Deeproot are mouch more interesting.
4) Some of the more popular stars will get rostered meaning they'll still be in your league, but you want be seeing them every single week.
5) This really helps build a team narrative and history.
6) We'll see expensive stars deployed at an even level whereas in the past if you were field Morg, for example, you were also staring down a huge TV gap and were very likely to take an epic ass beating.
7) Much better introductory experience to the Stars for new players who may have been wondering "How do I get Griff Oberwald on the pitch", where in the past the answer was pretty much, "you don't" in leagues.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Who else is excited about the new Almanac rules?

Post by lunchmoney »

There are actual new rules in it?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

Yeah, I don't believe the new Star Player team building rules (specifically the long term contracts) exist in any current Spike! magazine. Or at least I haven't seen them. They definitely weren't in the new Death Zone.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

EastCoast wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:07 pm Yeah, I don't believe the new Star Player team building rules (specifically the long term contracts) exist in any current Spike! magazine. Or at least I haven't seen them. They definitely weren't in the new Death Zone.
I have not see what they have printed this time around but they were part of the 2016 Death Zone series; number 2 I think. Removing loner after two seasons is new. Not got the Almanac so cannot really comment on how they compare. With the old rules you payed an upkeep cost each game to keep them playing for you.

It is nice they have some new run rules but unless a local league adds them it will the same as weather tables and "a load of balls" in DZ. More pages of text that never actually get used.

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

As I was only expecting Spike! content I was not planning to get it, but since finding out about the additional stuff i will pick it up.

I am a pro "fun" guy.