The Question what kind of tournament do you want to go to?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Which Would be your preferred Tournament option with the current ruleset?

Tiered tournament with access to star players
11%
Tiered tournament without access to star players
28%
A non tiered tournament with access to star players
22%
A non tiered tournament without access to star players
28%
A wacky ruleset with strange effects, unusual rosters or weird custom players
6%
One of the BB variants (sevens, deathbowl, dungeon bowl, steetbowl etc)
No votes
I would rather just do league
6%

Total votes: 18

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

The Question what kind of tournament do you want to go to?

Post by Mystic Force »

So in an effort to keep the volume up in here it is time for another one of my polls. This time it is about what kind of tournament you would prefer to go to right now. We have all seen the discussion on the in game effects of the latest version of the rules, but I am interested in what effect this is having on peoples gaming choices. For proximity factors or significant events coaches will attend regardless of rules used just to get together and play, but given a choice of events to go to, what would you choose? Has the latest ruleset pushed you towards only playing league? Or has it opened up the tournament possibilities. How have you preferences changed in a response to the meta?

So vote and get a discussion going!

Reason: ''
I am a pro "fun" guy.
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: The Question what kind of tournament do you want to go to?

Post by besters »

I tend to go to tournaments i can make and have no preference on tiering or star access, so therefore don't have a category to vote in.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

besters wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:38 pm I tend to go to tournaments i can make and have no preference on tiering or star access, so therefore don't have a category to vote in.
My initial thought was the same but flipping it around if I could pick what would I want?

I think no stars and some sort of tiering. The issue becomes more how do you tier teams under the new rules? I can see value in a none-tiered event to gather some data but it still has the issue of people not wanting to take races they perceive as weak; and thus not getting any data for them anyway.

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

This is the great thing about exploring a hypothetical we can just choose based on the actual criteria rather than have to deal with pesky things like how far do I have to drive or how many people are available to play in the local area. I will go to any tournament within 1 1/2hrs no question (pending commitments I cant get out off) I would probably go to a tournament up to 2 1/2 hrs depending on other logistical considerations how many games someone else to travel with etc. I would go to a tournament 4hrs away as long as its straight BB and I do not have to get my head around a variant I have never played or its a time of year where weather might become a factor and it has been a while since the last tournament. More than that it would have to be something special. At no point would ruleset be an issue if there were two tournaments equal distance it would probably come down to knowing some people who where going.

But without all those constraints I would probably make a choice, and it will likely start to show up in TO choices of what to put on, will the coaches preference and the TOs preference match? That's an interesting question of itself. It is also clear that what the ruleset chooses will have a significant effect on what is brought by the people coming aiming to end up at the top rather than those who are choosing because they want to play a particular team. Why each choice is made can depend on what a coach values, and that is the question I am hoping to elicit answers for really in the discussion section, informed by the voting part.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Jayward
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jayward »

In the hypothetical where I had multiple tournaments to choose from, I'd certainly choose no stars. Generally prefer tiered, but have voted untiered because I think it's what the game needs at the moments

Smooth seas never made a skilled sailor
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

All other things being equal I would, currently, prefer no stars and non tiered. More matches played at that level are needed to get the needed data so the tiered tourneys can do accurate tiering (assuming the TO's goal of tiering is to make all teams as equal as possible).

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Tiered tournaments, with tiered access to stars.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

No tiers, no stars, no thinking, ideally :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler