Shadowing: Second Season vs previous

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Shadowing: Second Season vs previous

Post by lunchmoney »

Just played my first Second Season match using a player with Shadowing.
I think it's not as good anymore; it's had a stealth nerf to an already underused skill.

Shadowing in 2016 edition didn't appear until Death Zone and it was the same as CRP/Icepelt edition:
Opposing coach rolls 2d6 +own MA -Shadow Player MA. If 7 or less the Shadow can follow.
As an example Shadow MA7 vs Average MA6 - a roll of 8 or less will result in Shadow working. 26 in 36, or 72% chance of working.

Second Season:
Shadow Player rolls 1d6 +own MA -other player MA and a result of 6 or more will let the Shadow Player follow.
Using the same example (MA7 vs MA6) - a roll of 5+ is needed. 1 in 3, or 33% chance of working.

Please tell me I'm wrong somewhere.

Reason: ''
Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Shadowing: Second Season vs previous

Post by Lyracian »

lunchmoney wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:09 pm Just played my first Second Season match using a player with Shadowing.

Please tell me I'm wrong somewhere.
I can say "you are wrong" does that help? :D

There was some pictures put up on Discord and FUMBLE for the calculations
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 163#747163

Main change is that you can no longer use a TRR to aid in escape. That is quite good for the Tentacle change as you are more likely to hold on to players for those crucial escapes that would have seen re-rolls used.

If you assume the playing being Shadowed would also use a TRR shadowing is only about 20% worse not 40% worse that it is now. The +1 MA they gave the Assassin this edition does not really help. This is now probably one of the weakest skills in the game.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Those images to save having to go looking.
638053.png
638052.png
Definitely made a weak skill shit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

lunchmoney wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:35 am Definitely made a weak skill shit.
LANGUAGE!

Yes it can join Arm Bar and most of the passing options on the list of skills we never see used during 2020.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Lyracian wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:29 pm
LANGUAGE!
It's English and in the dictionary. What's the problem? ;)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

lunchmoney wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:06 pm It's English and in the dictionary. What's the problem? ;)
Calling a skill faeces is hardly descriptive. A
Look on the bright side at least there are worse skills than Sneaky Git now. :D

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

HMP just called.
Said something about taking the trophy....

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

plasmoid wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 pm HMP just called.
Said something about taking the trophy....
Yeah; at least Shadowing still works.

Passing skills are so bad this edition.

EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

I'm going to say something that sounds a little crazy. I think Shadowing is a better skill now for a lot of players.

It has been added as a general skill and I believe the designers want players taking random skills (a design decision I endorse) on the cheap. Yes, for the fast players that used to sometimes live long enough to take it as like a 5th skill it was better. But, I don't think the intention is for this skill to be used by fast players. This is now a slow player/lineman skill.

I think this skill has been re-implemented as a sort of "foul appearance" answer to dodging. Let's say you have a line orc and you roll on the random table hoping for a cheap block or wrestle. You get stuck with shadowing for 10K. Sack him, right? Nope. He is an even better marker than he used to be. Mark that gutter runner with him. On a 6 your Orc sticks with him. Same with Movement 8 catchers. Those speed positionals don't want to punch your AV 10+ line orc, they want to dodge away. 17.6% of the time, no matter how fast they are, they won't be able to.

Zombies, Rotters, Dwarf Blockers (I can't see passing on guard, but maybe as a second skill), Skeletons. It's not a terrible random skill at 10K for any of them.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

EastCoast wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:19 am Zombies, Rotters, Dwarf Blockers (I can't see passing on guard, but maybe as a second skill), Skeletons. It's not a terrible random skill at 10K for any of them.
Lets look at the other random skills you could have got - Tackle; Kick; Wrestle; Dauntless...
There is even Block but Dwarves already have that.

Every random tree has good and bad skills. Sure for 10k I would keep them for a game, maybe two, but they are getting binned fairly soon. At best they see out the rest of the season before being consigned to the scrap heap. The same can be said for a lot of skills. What are you going to do with a Pile Driver or a Diving Catch player? They are going to stand on the line to die and get replaced as soon as is practical.

Go the other way and get this on an MA 7 Elf who is looking at 4+ to follow that Lineorc around it becomes more useful. It is still not a skill I am going to be looking to pick up on a team under 2020 rules.

EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

Agreed, you'd never want a second skill on him, but in terms of doing a line orcs job which is being annoying and getting punched in the face, he still does both pretty well. Throw him on the LOS when you defend, Nuffle will have him sorted out for you soon enough. In the interim maybe he surprises and opponent and forces them to burn a reroll.

I quite like the levelling system. I don't think I ever took shadowing in any of the prior rulesets... I don't think I ever had a fast player live long enough. So I kind of like that it gets into the mix here.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

We are into round 3 of our table top league (with team having been allowed two pre-season friendly games) and are starting to see a mix of random skills on players.

One of the Black Orc coaches is really upset with his Pile Driver and Thick Skull but he got Guard and Juggs on two others.
https://tourplay.net/en/blood-bowl/roster/5788

There is a Sure Hands Skeleton and a Leaping Ghoul on the Undead. There is also a Leap, Jump Up Nobel Blitzer as well as a Sure Hands Peasant.

Coaches are really enjoying the mix of skills.

I would still fire the shadowing guy though! :lol:

EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

That's awesome though. I like the fact that pursuing random skills is now a viable strategy. I do think I'd dump the pile driver orc before a shadowing one though. Hmmmm... Pile driver is a free foul action... should pair with sneaky git, right?

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

Sneaky Git will work with Pile Driver but it is still an expensive Black Orc you are risking getting sent off.
If you are heavy on Bribes could be a strategy...

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

Talking of Shadowing Halfing #7 got both scores and MVP in my league match tonight.

He took a random General.

This turned out to be Shadowing and was thus fired.