My 'ead 'urts

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Phreedh
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

My 'ead 'urts

Post by Phreedh »

I've been on a rather long hiatus from BB... something along the lines of 10 years or so. My roots are in 2nd edition, I still think 3rd is a bit of a newfangled fad but I'm warming up to it. ;)

To cut a long story short - I'm looking to get back into it with a few cow-orkers. Last time I played on a regular basis was LRB5. Realize we can pick any set of rules to go with, but I like to do things "real proper, like".

What do I need to pick up (or download) to have a complete set of current rules (including extras such as Dirty Tricks etc)? Do I need to replace any of my 3rd edition physical components (pitch, rulers etc?). What are the major changes to team lineups - is there any decent comparison between editions?

Reason: ''
My dice create suction... =(
JetSwan
Experienced
Experienced

Re: My 'ead 'urts

Post by JetSwan »

Hey, welcome back. :)
It may be best to buy the new boxed set, it comes with small rulebook and the new larger pitch as the miniatures are now a larger scale then they once were.
Unsure about changes but there's a lot of podcasts like Anything But A One and Both Down which often dive into changes between editions and are a good listen for new strategy, miniature discusion and team breakdowns.
GW release Spike Magazine every once in a while which includes a break down of a team each issue as well as a smattering of new star players, if you'd like to catch up on those changes the Blood Bowl Almanac is worth a purchase.
Much love and I hope you enjoy some games soon. ^^

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

You might find Blood Bowl 7s is a nice re/introduction to the game for you and your pals. It's virtually identical to 'proper' Blood Bowl (only difference really is the kick-off table, pitch dimensions and turn number), but means you don't have to write off 2-3 hours for a game while you're getting back into it. Sevens games can be played in an hour or so.

The LRB is still very relevant, there are only a couple of cosmetic changes with Games Workshop's recent release.

The Games Workshop Teams of Legend probably covers most of the races you remember (they've cut out Slann from the latest edition).

I'd say the only thing you'd need the new supplements for are the new stars and inducements, but that might not be top priority if you're just getting back in to the game.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Google LRB6 CRP PDF to download the rules. (BB Competition Rules v2 - The NAF)

The new rules from GW are mostly the same. If you like it and continue play you can buy the new stuff. You can skip the starter box and buy the Spike Magazines for some updated star players, inducements and positionals.

Your 3rd edition stuff will work fine. 2nd edition stuff as well, but the pitch is to small to accommodate new minis with larger bases. (partially true for 3rd edition pitch as well)

The new fields have larger squares than your 3rd edition fields (33.8 mm vs 29mm). To use them you would probably want to have a new pass ruler (or ban passing). Available from the base box, android app, 3rd party,, 3d-print, or printable online.

If you like and use cards (I do) you will need the starter box. If you can find Team titans special play and Hall of Fame pack you should buy them. The race decks released have a more questionable value, especially the more recent. I think the undead card pack came with just 7 special play cards.

Phreedh
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Phreedh »

Sounds like there are two routes:
- If I'm cost conscious I keep on trucking with LRB6/CR and suffer through minor inconcistencies but enjoy a single tome of rules and no faffing about with cards and crap.
- Plonk up for a boxed set, the almanac(s) and a pack of cards or two and then use the new rules and pitch, suffering from higher cost and info in several places instead of one single book. On the upside, I'll be "gospel compliant". I also get to buy new toys. Shiny! :D

Thanks for your input guys!

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Phreedh wrote:Sounds like there are two routes:
- If I'm cost conscious I keep on trucking with LRB6/CR and suffer through minor inconcistencies but enjoy a single tome of rules and no faffing about with cards and crap.
- Plonk up for a boxed set, the almanac(s) and a pack of cards or two and then use the new rules and pitch, suffering from higher cost and info in several places instead of one single book. On the upside, I'll be "gospel compliant". I also get to buy new toys. Shiny! :D

Thanks for your input guys!
This is the best BB16 summary I've seen yet. :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

A few ways to save some money:
Not buying any packs of cards (I've not actually met anyone who uses them....)
By checking this thread viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43404&p=768202#p768202 for the list of changes between CRP/LRB6 and BB16.
By not buying the two Death Zones (which were combined into the Almanac) unless you want some fun (fun is subjective) league rules (I accept there may be more in them, I've not read them all the way through).
By not buying a new pitch. Your old models will still fit on the old pitch. (Of course, if you dont have any old models or pitch then you will need to get some :) )

The Spike! Magazines have expanded rules of the teams they spotlight (coaching staff, new positionals) but again not needed unless you want to.

The amount you spend is entirely up to you :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Phreedh
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Phreedh »

lunchmoney wrote:(Of course, if you dont have any old models or pitch then you will need to get some :) )
I'm all set with minis, pitches and doodads.

I think we'll go with the LRB/CR route for now as we're not playing in a GW store or anything. I'll take the opportunity to paint up my old Chaos Allstars models (the ones Galak put out in the early 2000s) as proxies for humans. Coloured base rings and all!

Vomikron Noxis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vomikron Noxis »

Phreedh wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:(Of course, if you dont have any old models or pitch then you will need to get some :) )

I think we'll go with the LRB/CR route for now as we're not playing in a GW store or anything. I'll take the opportunity to paint up my old Chaos Allstars models (the ones Galak put out in the early 2000s) as proxies for humans. Coloured base rings and all!
Pleeeeease tell me you're going to be blogging about this! I can't get enough old school BB content, and your blog has been quiet for too long ;)

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Vomikron Noxis wrote:
Phreedh wrote:

Pleeeeease tell me you're going to be blogging about this! I can't get enough old school BB content, and your blog has been quiet for too long ;)
+1. And let us know the link to your blog! I love to follow Blood Bowl blogs.

Phreedh
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Phreedh »

faust_33 wrote:And let us know the link to your blog! I love to follow Blood Bowl blogs.
It's http://ministuff.godzilla.se - and Vomikron is right. It's been quiet for far too long. Not much Blood Bowl content I'm afraid, but there is some at least.

In recent years, my hobby time have been eaten up by the family (productivity peaked when I was home from work with my oldest and then bombed when we got my youngest) and retro computers. I ended up drawing fugly graphics for Commodore 64 demos instead of painting and gaming. :D

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

lunchmoney wrote:A few ways to save some money:
I know for a fact that you are wrong, Mr. Lunchmoney. You met me at Eurobowl, and I do use cards most of the time. Sure, we did not use them in Cardiff but if it had been within the rules I would have not complained. (I think).

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

kyrre wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:A few ways to save some money:
I know for a fact that you are wrong, Mr. Lunchmoney. You met me at Eurobowl, and I do use cards most of the time. Sure, we did not use them in Cardiff but if it had been within the rules I would have not complained. (I think).
I can't be expected to remember everyone I meet, I don't remember what I did last week! :lol:

Ok, I'll rephrase, I've never played anyone who wanted to use the cards in that match and I don't recall ever taking to someone about cards in a league and them saying they use them. ;)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95