Slaanesh team to fill the leap gap perhaps?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Slaanesh team to fill the leap gap perhaps?

Post by harvestmouse »

Christy42 wrote: I would suspect races not yet official come last. That is how I would do it.

Have we had fluff for BB Slann after the Lizardmen came along, even unofficial to deal with the fat coaches of Lizardmen and the team itself?
Slann (as they were) have been written out of GW lore. Putting them back in again really doesn't do good things to their fluff. Although on paper it's a nice race to have in BB; they weren't aesthetically cool anymore and were replaced. GW wouldn't sanction them being put back in from a fluff point of view. It's just a no no to the careful design work done before.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

harvestmouse wrote:TLDR: You want Slaanesh, make Slaanesh roster with skills (new or old) suited to Slaanesh, cuz they ain't frogs.
This, very much this.

Though if you go this route, make it actually fit the character of Slaanesh, unlike the crap Khorne roster.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

I would also say that Slaanesh seems to be on the way out in their other systems. Given blood bowl has little dependency on Slaanesh I can't imagine they will push a Slaanesh team.

I have no issue with the khorne roster. The mass frenzy seems to work and going pure killy has been done in blood bowl. Admittedly I would reskin all the players into non demons but keep the stats.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Christy42 wrote:I have no issue with the khorne roster. The mass frenzy seems to work and going pure killy has been done in blood bowl. Admittedly I would reskin all the players into non demons but keep the stats.
But surely if Khorne is anything it is being 'pure killy' that's what they are. To make them less killy than standard chaos or pact doesn't make sense. The face that CPOMB was about as popular as a lead diet with a jellyfish meant the whole concept was a REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA and what was produced wouldn't represent 'the killy god'. I do like the mass frenzy though, that does work well.

Simply the Khorne list suffered like (doing this to slann would), it wasn't bespoke, and if it isn't made to measure....what's the point? It's half a job. Cyanide were clueless. It was a 'ok we're doing Khorne, this is what we came up with.... which from initial feedback won't really work so.....make the best of this you can! By the way...no special rules, no extra coding and make sure it's not a broken roster!!! So what they did was make a nice playable roster; rather than something that represented Khorne. Newsflash guys............making a nice playable roster that isn't broken........isn't as hard as you think. "Ahhhh but it's playtested now, we have figures to prove it's playable". Clearly it was going to be nice and playable from the start. You don't really need that much playtesting to tell you that.

You could do a fine Khorne list. Something that plays well and fits Khorne...but it needs to be bespoke. Demons would need their own negtrait to tone down how powerful they'd need to be. Also maybe a negtrait for Khorne itself (leave the ball and kill) type thing.....possibly more reward if they clear the pitch.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

This is how I would do a Slaanesh Team
https://i.imgur.com/rsqkXeT.png

I would not reskin slann to anything. If GW does not like it and wanna make money on it, its still a nice house rule roster that 3rd party can make some pocket change on.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

harvestmouse wrote:But surely if Khorne is anything it is being 'pure killy' that's what they are. T
[snip]
...possibly more reward if they clear the pitch.
+1000 to this whole post.

Also why it was a bad decision for the NAF to include them (but that's an old fight now).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

harvestmouse wrote:
Christy42 wrote:I have no issue with the khorne roster. The mass frenzy seems to work and going pure killy has been done in blood bowl. Admittedly I would reskin all the players into non demons but keep the stats.
But surely if Khorne is anything it is being 'pure killy' that's what they are. To make them less killy than standard chaos or pact doesn't make sense. The face that CPOMB was about as popular as a lead diet with a jellyfish meant the whole concept was a REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA and what was produced wouldn't represent 'the killy god'. I do like the mass frenzy though, that does work well.

Simply the Khorne list suffered like (doing this to slann would), it wasn't bespoke, and if it isn't made to measure....what's the point? It's half a job. Cyanide were clueless. It was a 'ok we're doing Khorne, this is what we came up with.... which from initial feedback won't really work so.....make the best of this you can! By the way...no special rules, no extra coding and make sure it's not a broken roster!!! So what they did was make a nice playable roster; rather than something that represented Khorne. Newsflash guys............making a nice playable roster that isn't broken........isn't as hard as you think. "Ahhhh but it's playtested now, we have figures to prove it's playable". Clearly it was going to be nice and playable from the start. You don't really need that much playtesting to tell you that.

You could do a fine Khorne list. Something that plays well and fits Khorne...but it needs to be bespoke. Demons would need their own negtrait to tone down how powerful they'd need to be. Also maybe a negtrait for Khorne itself (leave the ball and kill) type thing.....possibly more reward if they clear the pitch.

I think going that khorne would be a bad idea for the but maybe that is just me. Pitch clearing means one player has nothing to play with. Khorne winning shouldn't be that unfun for an opponent (and will kill off a lot of teams in the process). Maybe Khorne should just not play blood bowl. I would also leave off the demons like with nurgle so that individual players don't need to be that powerful. Khorne cultists and warriors plus big guy of some sort would work.

Anyway back to the topic at hand. Is there a serious possibility of a leap roster and what would the skin be? Doesn't have to be the same as the Slann one but would GW consider it a starter?

cornixt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cornixt »

I think Tzeentch would fit much better for a spindly leaping team, although maybe as an all-daemon team.

Or you could just make a whole team of pogoing goblins/skaven.

Cornixt
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Christy42 wrote:Pitch clearing means one player has nothing to play with. Khorne winning shouldn't be that unfun for an opponent (and will kill off a lot of teams in the process).
I think you need to look at the bigger picture, that being the overall environment. If the overall environment isn't healthy, then it's going to be 'unfun' for a lot of people. As I said under the CPOMB era, Khorne was a terrible idea that could never tick all the boxes and be good for the environment too. In the post CPOMB era, there's possibly a case. Now with PO coming back, well it's back on the fence.

For a healthy environment you need a certain amount of blood, otherwise the AG4 teams fester like a rat plague. So there's a case for an 'extermination team' that would fit the khorne theme perfectly. A team that isn't too concerned about the bowl and more concerned about the blood to win games. Balancewise that's not too easy and would need to be aimed at coaches that don't care too much about their win/lose record. If it were a super popular roster.....then the balance has gone. So it would need to be a below average win rate.

With a pitch clearing roster there's still a game there. 1 team is aiming to maiming. The other is aiming for a traditional win. As I said from the start; I'm not saying we need such a roster, just this is the reason you would include Khorne.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

As a non-Warhammer guy, you can take this with a grain of salt, or as much salt as you wish, but whatever the character of Khorne in other games, you have to design them in a way that works for Blood Bowl. I've seen too many disastrous Space Marine teams pitched, followed by explanations of their role/stats/lore in other games defending impossible Blood Bowl stats to care about other game systems.

So, I feel like a new Khorne team (which I'd love to see, or love not to, because the current one is inoffensive to me) should be predicated on a couple of principles:

1) Blood Bowl lore should mitigate any statistical inconsistencies between game worlds. Bloodthirsters aren't powerful enough on the field? Well, they're the ones that are improperly-bred, or too injured to hold their own in battle, or some other hand-waved thing. Or entirely new strains or species. Anything. If you're saying you have to have a STR 8 player on the field because of lore, you're writing Warhammer fan fiction, not designing a Blood Bowl team. Obviously, it should feel Khorne-like, but we have to be able to make new stuff up.

2) I agree with Harvestmouse that they'll need their own skills and customizations to make them feel like the "pure killy" team. But that doesn't mean they need to be better at it than any other current bashy team. A team that reliably cripples or pitch clears opponents would be a very unwelcome opponent. Frenzy's great, of course, but what about some other skills that make them feel more violent without automatically increasing casualties? A "negatrait" that makes a ball carrier drop the ball and take a (possibly second) blitz action on a failed roll? Less control, more violence, and could be balanced so as to not affect the casualty count much. A skill that causes an Armor roll against a player leaving a Tackle Zone instead of triggering a Dodge? Less chance of a turnover, perhaps, but a risk of injury. Not putting these forth as actual rules, of course, but they might be examples of ways to up the chaotic violence of a team without making every player a killing machine.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Frenzy? New skills? Nah, Ball & Chain for a good number of them. Raw bloody chaos. :P Whirlwinds of death. On all sides.

Asked for Khorne, got Khorne. Kill, kill, kill. ;)

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

The easier way to deal with a bloodthirstier is to not include him on the team. Give them a different big guy.

Pick the players to suit the fluff. Nurgle don't use a greater demon so why would Khorne get one?

When fantasy was a thing Khorne was not that much killy (or at all than any other chaos army except Tzeentch, they all want to kill). They were just less subtle about it. They had the same troops and mass frenzy. They had different demons but does khorne need demons if Nurgle doesn't bother Fielding them?

I don't know what it is about people that they have decided Khorne needs to be strength 8 with clawPOMB or whatever. Khorne wants to kill in close combat (blocks) and tries to do really hard. They are not actually better at it than many other factions fluff wise. Especially when teams frequently consist of the dregs of a gods followers (like rotters). I feel like pitch clearing mechanics are just over describing them (and unfun if every khorne win leads to a deleted team).

But hey. I can't argue that the ball & chain suggestion isn't fluffy!