Which way do you like your pitch

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Which way do you like the board orientated?

Lengthways only
40%
I prefer to be at the end, but I can do it sideways.
31%
I do not mind the board being oreientated in either direction.
14%
I prefer it sideways, but its okay to be the longway between me and my opponent
8%
Only sideways
2%
Why are you asking me this stupid question.
6%

Total votes: 88

20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Which way do you like your pitch

Post by 20phoenix »

I always feel like my personal space is being violated when someone wants to play sideways and i'm sat on an end. That says more about me than anything else though.....

Reason: ''
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

sann0638 wrote:
Laser Owl wrote:I'm so used to the BB2 standard offset to 45 degrees
Whut? Isn't BB2 lengthways?
Since no one else answered this...

I gather there are various options, with the 45 degree offset possibly being the default view. Which most players (and all streamers/YouTubers) quickly switch to “end-to-end” view. Laser Owl’s response shows us that not everyone knows or cares about switching the viewing angle!

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

If you want to mess with the FumBBL'ers, offer to play sideways but only right to left.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

It's kind of interesting. I don't really have an opinion, more some thoughts.

I've never really understood the "I don't play FUMBBL, as I can't play sideways." brigade. However, thinking about it, playing chess sideways would be pretty weird.

I think logistics really put demands on how you play. If they made computer screens............upways then logically that's how you'd play on a computer. As they're lengthways, shouldn't Cyanide have the default view FUMBBL way? I know I always changed it to a FUMMBLish way playing Cyanide for a better view, then changed it back for action around the endzone.

Where as a busy or cramped real life tourney; playing sideways would take up so much more room..........wouldn't it? So playing sideways could affect more tables. A domino of playing sideways effect.

I started TTing in 2nd edition. In 2nd edition we played sideways.................right? At least I know I and anybody around the Hammersmith store played sideways.

Are there really FUMBBLERS playing TT that find it difficult playing longways? or is this a stereotype? I feel a bit sceptical about that.

Good point about FUMBBLERS and direction. If they struggle with longways, they'll also struggle playing right to left too!

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

I very much prefer sitting at an endzone and found adapting to fumbbl's side on view initially challenging. I've gotten used to it now and even with a change of kitchen table end up with 'fumbbl style' as the default at home. It does annoy me though when monkeytrumpet attempts to play right to left though! If I'm going to play fumbbl style on tabletop, at least let me play in the correct direction :lol:

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

harvestmouse wrote:Are there really FUMBBLERS playing TT that find it difficult playing longways? or is this a stereotype? I feel a bit sceptical about that.
I think it's the comfort of what you're used to, rather than finding playing one way or another 'difficult'. I'd played 2000-odd games on FUMBBL before starting on TT and I didn't miss playing sideways-on, probably because I was learning lots of things at once and the direction of play was rolled up into this 'new' thing.

Nowadays, I'm used to playing lengthways on TT; like everyone else I have a place where I prefer to put my stuff and I feel comfortable with the repetition of it. If I have to play sideways-on then fine (and I don't think it makes a jot of difference to the game itself) but I'd much rather do the thing I always do because I always do it. If Christer suddenly moved the FUMBBL client through 90 degrees then I don't think everyone on FUMBBL would suddenly start making a load more errors, but the comfort of familiarity would be a loss for a while. I still pine for the LRB4 icon set; change always makes nerds sad.

So - lengthways on TT, for me. The new scale provides a few more challenges in doing this, but I'd rather try and find ways around them than change.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Actually you pine for the lrb2 icon set, yer dinosaur! You were never keen on the lrb4 set! You could actually set up a league using them, if you so wished.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I stand corrected, but am a dinosaur. ;)