Spike Magazine - Which Team is most sorely missed?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Which Team would you like to see, that didn't get featured in Spike yet?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 pm

Chaos Renegades
18%
Dwarf
9%
Elven Union
4%
Goblin
9%
Human
13%
Orc
4%
Skaven
24%
Underworld Denizens
18%

Total votes: 45

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Spike Magazine - Which Team is most sorely missed?

Post by faust_33 »

Spike Magazines are coming out as new teams/minis are being released. But what of the old teams?! Which one would you be most interested in seeing covered first? Cast your Vote in the Poll, or simply abstain.

Reason: ''
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Spike Magazine - Which Team is most sorely missed?

Post by Bakunin »

Ogre's needs new starplayers.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

It's not on there (sacrilege!), but I'm really interested to see what they do with 'flings, given the changes Goblins got.

Definitely not a 'fling coach (managed one tournament with them and won't be picking them up again any time soon!), but the Zara/Karla combo makes them so much more difficult to play against so if they get something Doom Diver-esque as well, they could start to be a reasonable threat.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

Slann...
:D

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

What I believe Faust means is that the teams on the poll have been released as plastic kits already, but before we started doing the Spike! Journals, so at present they don't have an accompanying Spike! Journal.
Halflings and Ogres will get a Spike! Journal if/when we release a plastic team for them. We haven't done them yet.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

JT-Y wrote:What I believe Faust means is that the teams on the poll have been released as plastic kits already, but before we started doing the Spike! Journals, so at present they don't have an accompanying Spike! Journal.
Oh! :roll: That makes more sense, cheers.

For me, it would have been better to have (re)started from the first teams and gone from there, so I'd say Humans and Orcs.

That way, they're not racing ahead and 'forgetting' the first few races. Don't understand the format switch from Death Zone to Spike! Magazine, but saw somewhere someone suggesting that GW gets itchy feet every year or so with publication styles, so there may be a third iteration (Death Zone>Spike! Magazine>Something Else) in the not too distant future.

Also, there are already minis for the existing teams (those without additional content), so surely that would be a relatively easy thing to do without waiting on new teams to be sculpted? I'm assuming it takes less time to create rules and content than it does to plan, sculpt and produce minis. Again though, that's an idiots' assumption (the idiot being me)!

I wonder if the recent success of 3rd party Halfling teams might have caught GW's eye and pushed them up the pecking order a little; genuinely interested in any new positionals that Stunty teams might get, given the success of the Doom Diver (everyone always forgets the poor lil' 'Ooligan alongside that wonderful flying gobbo, don't they!) in the new addition.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

JT-Y wrote:What I believe Faust means is that the teams on the poll have been released as plastic kits already, but before we started doing the Spike! Journals, so at present they don't have an accompanying Spike! Journal.
Halflings and Ogres will get a Spike! Journal if/when we release a plastic team for them. We haven't done them yet.
BINGO!

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for buying Spike! Magazine. For me, I find the fluff interesting, but also helps me with planning Star Player miniatures for the team. I chose Skaven, because I'm definitely interested in more background on them and also really curious what other Star Players might be out there that we haven't seen.

I'm also really interested in the fluff on the Chaos Renegades and eager to see any additional Star Players for the Goblins and Human teams. Skaven are my number one choice though.

MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

Would be great to have a Spike! for already released races in between new races releases (so 2 Spikes per quarter). That would still take a couple of years to complete, so nothing too rushed. I guess it is mainly a resource issue. Maybe they can hire more people! :-P

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

I think people would snap up Spike's for the early releases - and to some extent I would think those Spikes would be some of the easiest to write fluff for.

I guess the question would be whether GW would want them to be released as part of a package of items. I guess a Goblin release for example could be timed to be released at the same time as the FW troll and second secret weapon pack and team cards....but not sure the other teams have as many gaps in the range.

Will also be interesting to see if the Denizens and Renegades will get their own box sets (though the 0-1's on the renegades set makes that seem a little unlikely)

For Human's I think it could be an opportunity to add a couple of new positionals to help cement them as being the jack of all trades, master of none (perhaps 0-2 blocker, and 0-2 safety which would be slightly upskilled linemen)

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Jip wrote: For me, it would have been better to have (re)started from the first teams and gone from there, so I'd say Humans and Orcs.

That way, they're not racing ahead and 'forgetting' the first few races. Don't understand the format switch from Death Zone to Spike! Magazine, but saw somewhere someone suggesting that GW gets itchy feet every year or so with publication styles, so there may be a third iteration (Death Zone>Spike! Magazine>Something Else) in the not too distant future.
I don't know anything but my take on the shift was Death Zone was a way to get all the rules out and then draw a line under BB from a GW perspective. Forgeworld may have carried on in a more limited way but at least the rules were out.

When BB proved wildly successful (as we always knew it would be) the strategy shifted to a more long term plan. 4 teams a year with a rulebook for each one is a model that BB has earned.

To answer the question I'd like to see Spikes for any and all teams. Maybe they could publish an extra spike once a year? Maybe the pre-christmas slot could contain 2 Spikes, 1 for the hot new team and 1 for the left behinds?

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Can you fix that quote please Raveen?

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

JT-Y wrote:Can you fix that quote please Raveen?
Done.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
JT-Y

Post by JT-Y »

Cheers.

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I would think that any Spike for a race already released would do pretty well. Maybe not quite as well as a Spike associated with an unreleased team . . .. but still when enough to make it worthwhile. Just my view. No doubt GW will have their own view on this and will know where it falls in their schedule (5 year plan!).

For the record - I would buy any and all of them.