Orc booster back

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Orc booster back

Post by Digger Goreman »

Thanks for an enlightening response. Given three+ decades of watching others play Warhammer/40k, and wondering about those huge arse models... makes more sense now.... Still an elfed up way of doing things....

Wish they'd left BB alone.... :-?

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

Heck man I and my entire league wouldn't be playing BB if GW didn't get back into the game.

I don't think it's a loss that there is an optional booster for folks really interested in cool extra sculpts. For those of us just looking to complete a team - 2 GW standard boxes are still cheaper then most third party 16 man teams.

Forgeworld has a different purpose then the core GW production line they are making cool looking minis first and ones that fit specific needs in the rules second. Some BB sculpts are going to be shuffled over there because of resources involved in a game line that doesn't sell a lot of models. But I don't think that's a loss if what's produced doesn't exactly scratch the need competitive players have- particularly as the overall company offers other options.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

The Orc booster is a disaster. If they insist on adding a 3rd thrower, it should be on top of the 2 blitzers and blorcs, not replacing one of them. It's gonna be insanely expensive to buy if you want the full team with max variety in poses.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

TopsyKretts wrote:It's gonna be insanely expensive to buy if you want the full team with max variety in poses.
And exactly when did you ever strike a bargain from GW?
The whole hobby is expensive as f**k and I'm used to the GW policy of milking their customers as hard as they can.
For quite a while now, people say that GW stands for Greedy Witch.
Coincidence? :wink:
And, tbh, ForgeWorld has always been expensive enough to cause physical pain.

Another reason to stick to converting teams from their other ranges.
Not exactly a bargain either but still cheaper and way more fun!

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

I got out of WFB because of the cost, just be grateful you only need a few minis 12 for $35 is a pretty good deal on the whole. Forge World is expensive and inaccessible I would love some of their stuff, but that price is steep! But some of the things I seem\ people spend money on for hobbies puts it in context, $100 for a single magic card, $4000 for hunting gear to obtain a few hundred dollars of meat. So as you only need a single team it is really not that bad! (obviously need and want are a little different....)

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Mystic Force wrote:...$4000 for hunting gear to obtain a few hundred dollars of meat.
Wonderful life, being vegetarian ;)

Maybe I could use the hunting gear to stalk... the wild carrot?

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

The extreme vegetarian hobbyist probably has a garden of artisanal carrots, fertilized by sun dried kelp. Whereas you could probably pop down the shop and buy a bag for $0.69 or local equivalent currency.

I was once trying to interest a group of Magic and former Magic players to consider playing Blood Bowl, I was worried about the cost being a barrier to entry obtaining a team getting a pitch and some dice.... While we were playing the first game they were discussing some of those Magic card prices at which point I realized I was worried about the wrong problem. It was assembling and painting that was going to be the real issue, I have a bunch of team, like I am sure most of us here do, collected over the years, lending out at my house not much of a problem, letting them leave my eye sight that's a definitely not going to happen! At least now with GW around availability is a little easier to deal with, even if you have cursed their name in other fields. At their current prices I would not be collecting any armies from their system, Blood bowl a little easier to swallow. Forgeworld, I would get some stars/secret weapons if there was nothing else I was wanting at that time but I am cheap and would go with extra box sets to complete a team. And as we are seeing a team every few months my hobby budget is now dedicated to Spike! a new boxed team and a back fill of a prior released team to fill out a roster/convert for stars.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Regash wrote: Another reason to stick to converting teams from their other ranges.
Not exactly a bargain either but still cheaper and way more fun!
I've heard so many mention conversions. Are there any photos of succesful conversions for the new human and orc teams?

Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

I had good luck converting an Orc Team from the older Battle of Macragge 40k Starter set, which were dirt cheat to get.

Eventually I also added parts from Orc Boyz I had available.

Here is also my DakkaDakka old thread where I was posting the WIP work. Could not figure out how to post here the pictures without attaching them.
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/p ... ge#1101551
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Those are excellent orc conversions, well done! However I'm looking for conversions that will fit with the new minis, yours are much older.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

They market the orc box + booster as "Full Roster" on Forge World... For 45£, however you would pay more than double that to get an actual "full roster". Even if you don't want the troll or gobbos, you're still having only 3 blitzers. Is this false advertisement?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AT/The- ... oster-2018

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

TopsyKretts wrote:They market the orc box + booster as "Full Roster" on Forge World... Is this false advertisement?

It's 16 players. I.e. a "full roster". Not the most optimal version of one, but they're not lying.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

http://blood-bowl.wikia.com/wiki/Gouged_Eye
Forgeworld have it listed as the Gouged Eye. There is no troll on the Gouged Eye roster.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

nyahoi wrote:
TopsyKretts wrote:They market the orc box + booster as "Full Roster" on Forge World... Is this false advertisement?

It's 16 players. I.e. a "full roster". Not the most optimal version of one, but they're not lying.
Not a legal 16 player roster one since it contains 3 throwers (and they are very obviously throwers).

Also those forge world "bundles" are annoying. The price is the same as the component pieces separately. Surely bundling should provide at least a minor benefit to the customer? That is a separate point though.

I feel like out of any producer Games Workshop should be producing a "this is an efficient way of getting a full roster" pack for each team. Feel free to have extras like the turn counters or whatever in there but I really feel like I shouldn't need to buy 12 extra players to get 4 more (or 4 extra to get 1 more if I go the forge world route).

The Skaven team works quite well in this regard and putting in extra skellies with the Undead is great. I think the latest range of GW models have been great quality. This is just something that did get missed.

It is annoying for me as I don't want to explain to friends I am trying to get into the game that they need to double up on sets they have already both simply for the 4th blitzer. I reckon that may be a killer as the guy interested in Orcs is not a massive fan of conversions.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Christy42 wrote:Not a legal 16 player roster one since it contains 3 throwers (and they are very obviously throwers).
Completely missed that! :lol: