What positionals aren't worth maxing out on?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Glowworm

Re: What positionals aren't worth maxing out on?

Post by Glowworm »

TBH, anyone agueing with Digger about Undead/Necro is just plain wrong.... so go sit in your wrongness!! :wink:

Ill throw Slann Krox (Kislev Bear if you must) into the ring, seen some very successful Slann teans with no big guy.

Goblin Bomber?? Itchen never uses one and hes a top coach with goblins (not so much with Bretts after this weekend it seems :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Reason: ''
legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

There are a ton of 0-1 positions that aren't used and I think that is how it should be. There are specialty pieces, like the big guys, or the secret weapons.

Using only 1 of the 0-2 positions seems fair as well. The fact that we are allowed to have 0-2 Throwers seems to be more of a holdover to people that hate having odd numbers more than anything else.

It's the positions that you could, in theory, have a lot of (0-4 Catchers) but that is rarely if ever, viable. Ghouls, Ogres, and Vampires seem like borderline cases, Human and Wood Elf Catchers do not. I hadn't realized that Slann Blitzers might be in the same boat. If it weren't for the fact that Slann's are good enough, I would love to see them get a pair of throwers and a pair of blitzers, instead of 4 blitzers.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

harvestmouse wrote:Switch the question around a bit. Are there any teams with throwers where you would max out throwers? Pro Elf sorry Union Elf is cheap enough....but I still wouldn't take 2. I can't think of one thrower I'd max out on.
I play Norse, mostly, and get grief for taking a Thrower. I just like to know that the passing option is there if I'm taking too long to get the ball upfield.

Disclaimer: I don't play Norse well!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Taking the Norse catcher out of the roster and replacing it with a faster runner made a practically useless positional totally useless.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

harvestmouse wrote:Taking the Norse catcher out of the roster and replacing it with a faster runner made a practically useless positional totally useless.
Ah, that's before my time, I've only been playing for a couple of years.

I took an AG4, Accurate Thrower and two Catch, Diving Catch Runners to Elflympics last year and it was glorious!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Goblin Ooligan.

This guy should have been a Secret Weapon/Dirty Player dedicated fouler but nope - as is, he is nearly unplayable imho.

The Doom Diver, on the other hand, is a must play now - though the Flings should have gotten some rostered TTM help like this while the goblins got some SW relief instead, but whatever...

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
TheJimintheNorth
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TheJimintheNorth »

SunDevil wrote:Goblin Ooligan.

This guy should have been a Secret Weapon/Dirty Player dedicated fouler but nope - as is, he is nearly unplayable imho.

The Doom Diver, on the other hand, is a must play now - though the Flings should have gotten some rostered TTM help like this while the goblins got some SW relief instead, but whatever...
GW have mentioned that they're looking to tweak some rosters when they get a full release (ala the Gobbos) so Halflings seem like a prime candidate if only to add a smidge more diversity to the roster.

20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

SunDevil wrote:Goblin Ooligan.

I think the Doom Divers influence is exaggerated. His OTTD threat is easily countered which relegates him to a hero toss when your drive has gone down the toilet. I'd much rather have something on the pitch that helps prevent the drive going down the toilet in the first place, usually Fungus.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Strange one, but ghouls on a necro team.

7 positionals is enough.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

nazgob wrote:Strange one, but ghouls on a necro team.

7 positionals is enough.
I have even seen Necros played effectively in a league with no Ghouls at all. Not necessarily to my taste, but it clearly worked. Lean TV and great SPP retention. A Wight was made into a Runner.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I have also seen DEs played well (also in a league) with just the Blitzers and Linemen. Again, not necessarily to my taste, but it clearly worked.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

harvestmouse wrote:Taking the Norse catcher out of the roster and replacing it with a faster runner made a practically useless positional totally useless.
The Norse Runner is just a player with a bad case of split personality (another good example is the Knights on the Bret team). Am I a Blocker? Am I a Runner? Am I a Receiver? Yes and no to all questions. Such players are high maintenance, requiring care in both play and development.

I rather liked the original Norse team, I don't necessarily think the current team is better (more powerful).

I take at least 1 Thrower, the passing option seems good for this team, and it allows the Runners to take other, more valuable, skills.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

My apologies if I have said this before on this thread.

IMO the clearest case for ditching positionals is the Slann team. I have played them very successfully in both leagues and tournaments without any Blitzers, and without the Krox. The reasons for this are simple:

- Blitzers and Krox play no essential role on the team (which bases its game on relentless attack on the ball).

- A Lino + RR is much better value than a Blitzer (same price).

- Lean TV allows the team to start with (and retain) 5 RRs (essential for high performance, as there is no RR skill for Leap).

- Practical experience showed me that versions of the team with Blitzers and/or Krox performed less well.

A more subtle benefit of this system in leagues is that SPPs become well spread on the Linos, which suits this team.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

Smeborg wrote:
The Norse Runner is just a player with a bad case of split personality (another good example is the Knights on the Bret team). Am I a Blocker? Am I a Runner? Am I a Receiver? Yes and no to all questions. Such players are high maintenance, requiring care in both play and development.

I rather liked the original Norse team, I don't necessarily think the current team is better (more powerful).

I take at least 1 Thrower, the passing option seems good for this team, and it allows the Runners to take other, more valuable, skills.
Depends on what you want from the runner. I think A access and MV 7 is worth the cost on the runner. Overpriced but it is so valuable for a Norse team. Easy access to blodge and side step make them pretty valuable as well as adding the only bit of speed for covering/scoring.

Dauntless also comes in handy to unlock certain formations though I forget about it too often it is a happy little extra.

Currently I have a Dodge, sh, as runner and a Dodge runner. Maybe tackle next on that one. I do miss my s4 av6 runner. Brilliant glass cannon. Unfortunately not around in games for long enough to justify it.

I have passed with this team but only as a break glass option. I am also not sure how much I have been able to pick the passer in these cases.

20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

Smeborg wrote:My apologies if I have said this before on this thread.

IMO the clearest case for ditching positionals is the Slann team. I have played them very successfully in both leagues and tournaments without any Blitzers, and without the Krox. The reasons for this are simple:

- Blitzers and Krox play no essential role on the team (which bases its game on relentless attack on the ball).

- A Lino + RR is much better value than a Blitzer (same price).

- Lean TV allows the team to start with (and retain) 5 RRs (essential for high performance, as there is no RR skill for Leap).

- Practical experience showed me that versions of the team with Blitzers and/or Krox performed less well.

A more subtle benefit of this system in leagues is that SPPs become well spread on the Linos, which suits this team.

Hope that helps.
My playstyle with Slann is different, using the DT and tail on the blitzers and Krox to restrict movement rather than throwing bodies at the ball. Even with that philosophy I don't think i'd ever go to 4 blitzers as its too costly.