Best and Worst Blood Bowl models ever

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Re: Best and Worst Blood Bowl models ever

Post by BillyDee »

Considering how bad some of the WHFB plastics were back then, 2.5D monopose shite, the BB stuff could have been much worse.
My absolute fave is 1ed ogre, then 2ed skaven and elves (especially arm down skaven thrower and bug eyed blitzer).

Favourite GW minis of all time are the mkVI "parrot beak" SM plastic kit from waaaaay back...

Reason: ''
"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

BillyDee wrote: Favourite GW minis of all time are the mkVI "parrot beak" SM plastic kit from waaaaay back...
RTB01-4LYFE

Also, painting a 2nd Ed Skaven team at the moment.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Fassbinder75 wrote:
BillyDee wrote:Favourite GW minis of all time are the mkVI "parrot beak" SM plastic kit from waaaaay back...
RTB01-4LYFE
Wombles.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Two of the best old-school Big Guys are the old Ripper and Morg models.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

rolo wrote:Two of the best old-school Big Guys are the old Ripper and Morg models.
Oh yeah, I absolutely LOVED when Trolls looked like Ripper did.

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Having just painted some you can count me in for the 2nd Ed Skaven love. I really like the old 2nd ed Griff (Gregor Meissen he got rebranded to I think)too, just the right look to me.

I never liked the 3rd ed minis although there were a few standouts that were good. The plastic humans were good for example but the High Elves were horrible. Never liked them and never will.

IU like most of the new stuff although the big guys aren't to my taste (although the Mino is very very awesome...)

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

spubbbba wrote:I like the style of the 2nd edition elfs and skaven, though the sculpt quality doesn’t quite hold up. From the new stuff I liked most of the plastics aside from the chaos warriors and there is a tendency for blitzers to not be obvious enough. Forgeworld has been very hit and miss, not a fan of Morg, Hakflem, Grim or the Rat ogre, but I like Zug, Glart, the deathroller, skaven booster and the mino.
Yea, I'm about the same with the Forgeworld stuff. Love Glart, the Skaven Booster is good. Most of the rest I either didn't like, and/or didn't even bother to pick up. I heard the new Deathroller was a pain to put together?

Much like Glart, I'd probably preorder a Gobbler Grimlich mini on day one.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

besters wrote:
Baxx wrote:
Digger Goreman wrote:and all the 2016+ plasticrap....
This is the first time I've heard anyone complain about the new plastic range.
You've possibly not being listening?
Been heavily invested since the relaunch November 2016.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

My only complaint on the new plastic range is that the positionals are identical, difficult to reposition, and on the Orcs slightly non-intuitive (people keep asking which ones are Black Orcs and guessing the Blitzers).

Oh, and that nearly two years after re-release, I'm still waiting on the booster packs, a critical part of completing two teams, while they spend their time releasing optional star players which no tournament or league are ever going to allow.

But I have few complaints on quality or detail. Humans have a few too many spikes but that's easy enough to fix.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
SadGlad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SadGlad »

I hate all third party models but since you asked about Blood Bowl models I think the Vampire team is pretty bad. The models are tiny! The Amazon team is quite bad too, it’s almost no difference between a blitzer and some of the linewomen.

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

There are so many bad models, third party or GW, but there’s also so many awesome ones.

I think that the Willy Miniatures/RN Estudio/etc stuff looks great, but I will NEVER own one of their teams because they are just too damned big. Smaller models like the GW Vampires I can handle. Mummies/Flesh Golems that are larger than Ogres are silly. Some other teams from other third party manufacturers are the same. They look pretty cool but are just comically huge or too cartoony. Absolutely cannot stand it. :-?

My previous favorite sculpts are the 5th Edition Human team. Super cool. I can’t decide what my favorites are for the newer stuff. Probably just the new Human team, lol. I’m also a sucker for 3rd Edition stuff, but only a few of the teams.

Winning... it beats losing.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

TheAzman wrote:I think that the Willy Miniatures/RN Estudio/etc stuff looks great, but I will NEVER own one of their teams because they are just too damned big. Smaller models like the GW Vampires I can handle. Mummies/Flesh Golems that are larger than Ogres are silly. Some other teams from other third party manufacturers are the same. They look pretty cool but are just comically huge or too cartoony. Absolutely cannot stand it. :-? .
It's funny, I originally wouldn't buy the Willy minis because they were too big, but NOW they look pretty much perfect next to the recent GW minis.

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

faust_33 wrote:
TheAzman wrote:I think that the Willy Miniatures/RN Estudio/etc stuff looks great, but I will NEVER own one of their teams because they are just too damned big. Smaller models like the GW Vampires I can handle. Mummies/Flesh Golems that are larger than Ogres are silly. Some other teams from other third party manufacturers are the same. They look pretty cool but are just comically huge or too cartoony. Absolutely cannot stand it. :-? .
It's funny, I originally wouldn't buy the Willy minis because they were too big, but NOW they look pretty much perfect next to the recent GW minis.
I still think that the mummies/flesh golems/tomb guardians are still too big. Mummies and the like are supernaturally strong, not giants the size of ogres. It’s ridiculous and I can’t stand it. They still look alright, mind you. They just need to be shrunk down.

Winning... it beats losing.
BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

TheAzman wrote:
faust_33 wrote:
TheAzman wrote:
I still think that the mummies/flesh golems/tomb guardians are still too big. Mummies and the like are supernaturally strong, not giants the size of ogres. It’s ridiculous and I can’t stand it. They still look alright, mind you. They just need to be shrunk down.
This in spades. Mummies are magically strong, not physically strong. Should be "human" sized...

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

There's an old thread about mummy size.... I am in the camp of 5st = Big guy size. I used to use the first Willy mummies because they looked 5st next to third edition models. Later, because of space in my bag, I use the gw tomb guardians as mummies....

GW third edition mummies... tooooooo small....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"