Spike! Journal

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Spike! Journal

Post by Jip »

In our league, wizards and (in)famous coaching staff are separate inducements, so I was (un?)fortunate enough to be in a position to induce the ‘pro’ wizard and Horatio.

Managed to sling out two fireballs at the end of one turn in the first-half, definitely worth it just to watch my opponent panic!

Reason: ''
Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Because the Commish didn't realise there was a limit... :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

I finally got my hands on Spike! Journal #1 and wanted to say how pleased I was with it (The guy at the store also said how he liked it, as I handed him money, not sure if related....). I particularly enjoyed the return of our favorite agony uncle, I hope we get to see him again, in non chaos centric issues (perhaps helping out confused Sea Elves, mainly because they didn't even know they existed until recently!)

Putting a little more rules in would be good, but I am glad the sports parody is coming back into focus.

Thank you for your hard work and being a custodian of the "Ugly" game.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Borak won't feature in every issue, he'll be quite an infrequent contributor.
The in world reason for that is that he writes for the weekly Spike! Magazine and isn't very interested in the Journal as it isn't always about him.
The other reason is that we have other characters we want to use and introduce.

But don't worry. Borak is never far away.

Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy doing it.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
peo2223
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by peo2223 »

I have really enjoyed the first edition (and although I know it has been declined already would love the opportunity to work on a future issue!)

Is there a release date for the dark elves version going public on the horizon?

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Couple of changes in Spike! that I've only just noticed:
  • Lewdgrip gains Dodge and price change to 160k (+10k)
  • Guffle Pusmaw is now eligible for Chaos Chosen and Chaos Renegades (or Chaos and Chaos Pact if you prefer)

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

You're right. The change to Guffle has had people wondering what Nurgle's Rot does when he plays for those teams. The same as what Morg's TTM does when he plays on teams without Right Stuff, I suspect.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Gaixo wrote:You're right. The change to Guffle has had people wondering what Nurgle's Rot does when he plays for those teams. The same as what Morg's TTM does when he plays on teams without Right Stuff, I suspect.
That's a controversial one that'll set the rules lawyers off! :lol:

The comparison with Morg doesn't work though, Morg just doesn't have the option to use Throw Team Mate on a team with no Right Stuff players, so it solves itself.

Guffle, however, can Block, Blitz or Foul someone to death against any team, thus triggering Nurgle's Rot.

With that said, the BB2016 wording of Nurgle's Rot uses the phrase "the Nurgle team" several times, but that doesn't cover what happens if it's used whilst a player with the skill is playing for a non-Nurgle team.

I've seen a NAF ruling (pre-Spike Magazine!, though) that says he's only eligible for Nurgle teams, which makes it less of an issue.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Jip wrote:
Gaixo wrote:With that said, the BB2016 wording of Nurgle's Rot uses the phrase "the Nurgle team" several times, but that doesn't cover what happens if it's used whilst a player with the skill is playing for a non-Nurgle team.
I don't think it has to. Between specifiying 'Nurgle team' and 'open roster slot', it's pretty clear that any team other than Nurgle cannot benefit. If your team roster does not include Rotters then you cannot have an open slot to take one.

peo2223
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by peo2223 »

If your team roster does not include Rotters then you cannot have an open slot to take one.[/quote]

And which non nurgle team would want a permanent player with Nurgle's Rot anyway?!

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Vanguard wrote:I don't think it has to. Between specifiying 'Nurgle team' and 'open roster slot', it's pretty clear that any team other than Nurgle cannot benefit. If your team roster does not include Rotters then you cannot have an open slot to take one.
I've always interpreted anything about open roster slots to mean <16 players. It's an issue I'm having with an Undead team on FUMBBL recently 'cos I keep 'recruiting' Zombies faster than I can fit them into my squad!

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Chaos Chosen and Chaos Renegades can't have a Rotter on the team, so if they Induce Guffle and he kills someone, and even if they have less than 16 players, they can't have the Rotter.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
garion

Post by garion »

A good solid magazine.

Pros -
*Previously useless stars have been given skills that make them worthwhile. This is a change I made post CRP as well as too many of the stars were utterly pointless.
*Chaos background art etc... is all great.
*Wizards changes are good. getting rid of lightning was a simple solution to how OP it was.
*Zap being brought back is amazing, I'm so happy about this.

Cons -
*Don't like race specific wizards included in the core rules, they should be clearly marked as optional rules like stadium expansion etc... is. Just like Character inducements should have been, another miss step.
*I do not want this edition rule set (which is unfortunately being drip fed) to end up lopsided, with some races having race specific wizards or full star player lists and others without. I also worry race specific wizards will cause further unbalancing of things further down the line, even if restraint has been shown this time.
*Although I love Zap! I do not understand why it is measured against a players strength? What is the reason for this. A 1d6 4+ roll would have been preferable as it used to be. There is no need to give bash an advantage or stunty teams a disadvantage. Also you have removed the Zap scatter in the event of a miss, which is a real shame. This was soo much fun, and anyone that ever uses a zap is using the sub optimal fluff spell anyway, so why detract from its hilarity?
*Another missed opportunity to fix something that was clearly off to any long time CRP players - the cost of Wild Animals being over priced in the player costing formula. WA is much worse than Bone Head and a little worse than Really Stupid, but WA's are over costed. knocking 10k off the Minotaur would make them a more realistic consideration. Currently they are just too much for an AV8 player. Not a huge deal but just something sadly missed again.

overall though great stuff.

fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

garion wrote:A good solid magazine.

Pros -
*Previously useless stars have been given skills that make them worthwhile. This is a change I made post CRP as well as too many of the stars were utterly pointless.
*Chaos background art etc... is all great.
*Wizards changes are good. getting rid of lightning was a simple solution to how OP it was.
*Zap being brought back is amazing, I'm so happy about this.

Cons -
*Don't like race specific wizards included in the core rules, they should be clearly marked as optional rules like stadium expansion etc... is. Just like Character inducements should have been, another miss step.
*I do not want this edition rule set (which is unfortunately being drip fed) to end up lopsided, with some races having race specific wizards or full star player lists and others without. I also worry race specific wizards will cause further unbalancing of things further down the line, even if restraint has been shown this time.
*Although I love Zap! I do not understand why it is measured against a players strength? What is the reason for this. A 1d6 4+ roll would have been preferable as it used to be. There is no need to give bash an advantage or stunty teams a disadvantage. Also you have removed the Zap scatter in the event of a miss, which is a real shame. This was soo much fun, and anyone that ever uses a zap is using the sub optimal fluff spell anyway, so why detract from its hilarity?
*Another missed opportunity to fix something that was clearly off to any long time CRP players - the cost of Wild Animals being over priced in the player costing formula. WA is much worse than Bone Head and a little worse than Really Stupid, but WA's are over costed. knocking 10k off the Minotaur would make them a more realistic consideration. Currently they are just too much for an AV8 player. Not a huge deal but just something sadly missed again.

overall though great stuff.
Explain how Wild Animal is worse than bonehead and really stupid?

garion

Post by garion »

I'm not going to get in to it too much. They are worse because you only move 50% of the time which is terrible. Big guys need to be positioned well to get in the way mostly then do occasional damage. Minotards as they are widely called, are easily drawn away from then action then left stranded.

Obviously if you are blocking and blitzing they move on a 2+ but I don't want to be using that action with a loner unless it is one of the final actions in the turn, it's just too big a risk. They are just sub optimal.

Also in lrb4 minotaur was 110k and no one took him. He was cheaper than ogre who was 120. And 10k more tham the troll. Both troll and ogre were always picked over the mino back then unless someone was intentionally building a sub optimal team. This was the same in Norse and chaos teams.