Monthly Poll: How did you first learn the Blood Bowl game?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

How did you first learn the Blood Bowl game?

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2018 2:41 pm

Rulebook (read it on my own)
51%
Friend taught me (in person)
26%
Game store mentor
5%
Computer Game tutorial
8%
YouTube videos
3%
Forums/Online Community
No votes
Other
7%

Total votes: 61

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Monthly Poll: How did you first learn the Blood Bowl gam

Post by Mystic Force »

I read the 3rd rule book and then taught my friends how to play, as they did not read the rule book for themselves (they choose not to!) they never spotted the large oversight I had made. Which I learnt when I first played with people outside the ones I had taught. My missunderstaning was the Blitz rule, namely that I had interpreted the rule as the block had to be at the end of any movement, with only follow up allowed if you wanted to, as the only other movement after the block. oops! :oops:

Reason: ''
I am a pro "fun" guy.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well, I went other as to me there's a difference between "friend" and "someone at the same college as me". ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Well, if we're talking about rules which we got wrong when we first started playing Blood Bowl ... which would be a hilarious and never-ending thread, I think ...

Everyone in our college league was convinced that a hand-off was an action by the receiving player. As in, you run up to the ball carrier, make a catch roll; if successful, you have the ball and can keep going ...
It was just so obvious that this is how handoffs work (to be fair, that IS how they work in football ...) that none of us even bothered to double-check the written rules.

Was pretty embarrassing when I tried to do this at a tournament ... would've been a great move too. Opponent totally didn't see it coming!

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Mystic Force wrote:I read the 3rd rule book and then taught my friends how to play, as they did not read the rule book for themselves (they choose not to!) they never spotted the large oversight I had made. Which I learnt when I first played with people outside the ones I had taught. My missunderstaning was the Blitz rule, namely that I had interpreted the rule as the block had to be at the end of any movement, with only follow up allowed if you wanted to, as the only other movement after the block. oops! :oops:
this was one of my errors, I've heard other people say the same thing as well.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

dode74 wrote:
faust_33 wrote:If you originally learned 2nd Ed with friends, then that would mean 'Friend taught me in person'.
Does that not imply that the friend already knew the rules? Taught means he had something to teach, after all. I went for "rulebook" for exactly that reason: there were two of us, and we learned it together.
Good point Dode. Yea, that's essentially reading the rulebook on your own (or with friends). The main difference is whether you had someone teach you or if you learned from reading the rulebook.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Tzalaran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tzalaran »

didn't really learn the game until the first Cyanide game release. Played in a league on it for a year before i couldn't stand it anymore.

got back into it on BB2016 rerelease (well, once my buddy who keeps up with GW stuff told me they rereleased it as we reminisced about games of the past over Space Hulk), and have corrupted my youngest son and nephew to the point that Sundays are our TT game days...

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

I watched the video by Totalbiscuit way back when (I think 2012, I remember looking at the last remnants of BB stock in GWs online store then), where he introduced the game in preperation for the league he ran with Polaris (then The Game Station) that used the decidedly awful first Cyanide client. Not enough to understand the rules completely, but enough to get a feel for the game. I played a bit of Chaos Edition, but as I said it was awful and you don't really learn the game with it. Couldn't get any of my friends in school to start a TT with me, so I went on soon and started playing X-Wing instead. I properly got into the game with the 2016 release on which I just needed to read the rulebook to get familiar again.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

The new cyanide client is substantially better than the original? How so?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

harvestmouse wrote:The new cyanide client is substantially better than the original? How so?
Stability, reconnection and, importantly, they're still supporting it.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

harvestmouse wrote:The new cyanide client is substantially better than the original? How so?
I don't own the new one, but I know it isn't perfect, but good enough to find relatively wide use. The old one? It is barely usable. The interface is utterly unreadable, like something from the 90s with lots of obscure pictograms and either no or slow hover-over labels. The rules are wonky. Difficulty in singleplayer is literaly governed by weighted dice rolls. Input isn't precise (on a boardgame, with a grid!) and that doesn't even touch the difficulty of playing multiplayer.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Deathrain wrote:Difficulty in singleplayer is literaly governed by weighted dice rolls.
That has never been the case. It was based on an adjustment in risk acceptability from the AI. That's why "Hard" turtled and "Easy" tried the wacky stuff. This explains why some people thought Easy was harder than Hard: it tried things no sane human would, and sometimes got away with it because d6.