BB in real life?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

JPB
Experienced
Experienced

BB in real life?

Post by JPB »

This is an odd one, I've stumbled upon when going over the history of football (which, in all honesty, is a term for almost every sport that uses a ball, it's a really diverse and hardly ever defined term except by the very modern era).
During that I came upon this obscure version called Storico Calcio (or historical Calcio/football). It's only played in Florence and there are only 4 teams bashing it out at an annual tournament.
The interesting aspect of this football game is that it has literally “no rules”. Anything goes. And they have to carry the ball from one side of the field to the other where there is a line of goals like an end-zone.
It's kind of fascinating how human beings behave in such an environment, and it's funny because it plays out exactly like BB the boardgame :).

Here's a Youtube video of a full match from 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-B2EFxQ8fU
You don't have to watch the whole 50 minutes but you may check out the, let's say, first 5 minutes, skip a little and then watch the last 10 minutes, just to get an impression. To me it's just funny how much it looks like the boardgame, and it's funny to get an idea of how to possibly imagine the boardgame, would it be in motion. It's really close to the “real thing”. (guess, what the final score is :)).

If you're interested in the background of storico calcio there are some documentaries. They are often made for hooligans (“violence makes us good people” romantic) but this one is OK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDmNGXtKQg. It's a bit cheesy (“As I made my way through the vibrant streets of Florence” :roll:), but it's only 15 minutes and covers all important facts. There are probably more if you mix the terms like calcio/storico/historical/football/fiorentino.

Reason: ''
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Re: BB in real life?

Post by Mystic Force »

A quick visit to wikipidea to learn more had this very bloodbowlesque inclusion
During the early decades, in order to encourage wagering and achieve a bettable winner, there were times when bulls would be ushered into the ring in hopes of adding confusion and inciting victory.
But apparently they do not have the guard skill....
It is also prohibited for more than one player to attack an opponent. Any violation leads to being expelled from the game.
It further seems that the playing style seems to be CLPOMB Chaos as they try to clear the field before trying to score.

Looking forward to watching this on youtube later to see how the description matches up!

I am a pro "fun" guy.
JPB
Experienced
Experienced

Re: BB in real life?

Post by JPB »

Mystic Force wrote:During the early decades, in order to encourage wagering and achieve a bettable winner, there were times when bulls would be ushered into the ring in hopes of adding confusion and inciting victory.
LOL, I just love sport history. It's amazing the things people used to do. :)
Mystic Force wrote:Looking forward to watching this on youtube later to see how the description matches up!
Hope you were not too dissapointed. It's more fascinating than fun to watch. Also the first comment on the youtubevideo was "I'm twenty minutes in. Does the ball ever move?" (just like BB...standard 2-1 grind :))

And it's fascinating that removing all rules, does not result in chaos but players becoming more cautious (which was not that obvious to me at first, but once thinking about it it actually makes sense). They are pretty nervous not to get blindsided.

And of course getting an idea what players standing in each TZ for 6 turns may actually look like in real life.