New Team! (It's... not Nurgle!)

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New Team! (It's... not Nurgle!)

Post by Mystic Force »

Not to take this t0o far off topic...

I said a few years back that I was going to stop buying GW stuff not for any ideological reason, but simply because the price had reached a point were it broke me and it was not that I could not afford it, but rather I could use those dollars on something else instead which had a net greater value to me. At that time I declared the only way I was going to be giving GW my money again was if they re-released Bloodbowl.

So they did, and I have and I must commend them on the fact that they choose a very reasonable price point for teams. If it where higher I would have only purchased teams I want, at this price I will most likely buy every team released. I do not need all the dice and pitches, but rules and cards I will obtain. My only slight complaint is that the Forgeworld stuff is not so easy to pick up. I can order it (I still have a bank account in England that makes paying a little simpler) but its not the same as walking into my local game store and going "oh I need that"

Overall well done, and I am one of those weird people who DO like the armoured warriors playing sports models of yesteryear.

I got my step son in to playing the game, he said he wanted Nurgle or Chaos, so I guess you made the decision of which team he gets! So that will be at least 2 sets I will buy, maybe a 3rd to split between us and model some mutations on......

Reason: ''
I am a pro "fun" guy.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Mystic Force wrote:...I must commend them on the fact that they choose a very reasonable price point for teams. If it where higher I would have only purchased teams I want, at this price I will most likely buy every team released.
Agree that it's a very reasonable price point for teams, but they're not full teams.

Seven races have team boxed sets released, or previewed, so far. Elven Union, Dwarf, Goblins, Skaven, Orcs, Humans and Chaos. Underworld are also available, but that's a (more expensive) mishmash of several kits.

Of those, only two (Dwarf and, based on a comment earlier in this thread, Chaos) are full teams, with all positionals. I'm including the Goblin secret weapons on the 'missing' list, some may disagree.

That means, for most teams, the £20 becomes either £40 for another box, or a visit to the ForgeWorld website, if I want the other positionals. And then I've got a load of models leftover that I don't need.

Common responses to that:
You can just convert some linemen to X positional
Sell the other models online (anyone in the market for a billion Lineorcs?)
The team boxes are just an intro for new players
Use the spare linemen for team X, Y, Z

It doesn't seem very fair on new players or inexperienced hobbyists to leave them already at a disadvantage, before they've even rolled a block dice. I've definitely played new coaches who have used 2 Black Orcs and 2 Blitzers, because they just assumed that's what everyone did (because that's all that came in the box).

I guess there's an argument that the community should guide newer coaches (which I believe it does very well), but why should we be the ones to let them know that the 'team' they've brought is missing key pieces?

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

@Jip: yea, I bought two (or more) boxes of everything. I'm crossing my fingers that we get some plastic boosters to finish off positionals on all teams. Dwarves are fine, but Humans and Orcs really need a booster. I bought the Skaven booster from ForgeWorld, but that's super expensive when you live in the U.S. I can't buy too many of those, so it would have to be for a team I really want to complete.

Your comment about new coaches is disheartening. I can't imagine anyone running Orcs with just two BOBs or Humans with just two Blitzers. Sub optimal teams are going to make it even harder for new coaches. I think the best way around that would be to release boosters around the same time as a team and advertise in both. 'Want to beef up your Undead team? Pick up the Undead Booster Pack!'

I am sort of curious how many coaches these days go straight into Blood Bowl from tabletop though? Most people seem to have played the computer game, and at least there they would have learned that it's best to take all the positionals.

gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

I think Elven Union is regarded as generally fine as is out of the box for most TV 1000 teams.

Goblins on the other hand need two trolls and a positions pack (and some minis not in the current positionals pack) I believe to be 'complete'

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't most of the old GW metal teams from previous editions similarly constructed 2 of each positional? My league mates who have old metal teams only have 2 of each positional (skaven, and orcs.)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

faust_33 wrote: I am sort of curious how many coaches these days go straight into Blood Bowl from tabletop though? Most people seem to have played the computer game, and at least there they would have learned that it's best to take all the positionals.
From experience of Facebook, lots. Thanks to GW!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

gjnoronh wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't most of the old GW metal teams from previous editions similarly constructed 2 of each positional? My league mates who have old metal teams only have 2 of each positional (skaven, and orcs.)
not exactly... for example, the 3rd ed metal orc team had 3 blitzers in the box if i remember correctly. maybe the human team as well. it's been too long since i've opened a NOS 3rd ed team to remember the others. but, the way things are is still pretty close to how things were back then.
i will also say that even with having to buy 2 boxes of plastic minis and a big guy separately, i'm still paying less than i have for most of the indie "full teams" i have bought in the past. true, most of those teams have 16 unique sculpts, but honestly, the older i get, the less i care about that.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

Faust wrote:
I think the best way around that would be to release boosters around the same time as a team and advertise in both. 'Want to beef up your Undead team? Pick up the Undead Booster Pack!'
That is a really good suggestion - except that often this doesn't fit within the sculpting time frames. Although, I would be interested to know if the setup for plastics was much longer than resin and therefore if the resin casts from Forge World could 'catch up' to the production time of the plastic and this be achieved. Certainly a great idea!

Mystic Force wrote:
I am one of those weird people who DO like the armoured warriors playing sports models of yesteryear.
Don't worry - I do too - sort of. I think 2nd Edition had the right idea - a cross between the two. I think Gary Morley's interpretations were a little TOO Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I'm disappointed that the Chaos Chosen Warriors aren't more ... Chaotic.
I would have liked something a little more this:

They could have less armour, and still work. (See #4 on the LHS, his arms are bare).

...and now we're back on discussion! Full Circle!

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

I like the warriors very much because they are an original concept and quite different from anything I already own.
Being a collector (going for my 200th BB team) that is very important to me.
They look very easy to convert and personalize.

Also having a playable team in a box is for me a big thumbs up.

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

For reference.

Human Linemen:

ex-BBRC member

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

i didn't catch that the Chaos Warriors are wearing shorts until seeing this pic... hmmmmmmm

Finks Finkster
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Finks Finkster »

Babs wrote:Image

For reference.

Human Linemen:

To be Devil's Advocate, before in the previous sculpts, Beastmen wore practically no armour besides a few with their pauldron or shoulder pad. However to represent their durability they were still AV8. I am not sure if intentional but it certainly goes well with the theme that the Beastmen are so tough they don't even need armour, that in the new sculpts this is also reflective of the Chaos Warriors/Chosen. I mean, they are supposed to be supernaturally bulky and ripped thanks directly to the Chaos Gods so I would imagine that despite lacking armour that is some serious amount of protective muscle they got going, akin to the beastmen and their natural durability. Just my 2 cents.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

i actually really like the look of the new beastmen. just not sure how i feel about the chaos warriors wearing hot pants... :lol:

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

the shorts just need break-away snaps and this team could be a male stripper squad...
Magic Mike: Blood Bowl Edition!!!!!!! :lol:

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I have a solution. Just paint their legs. IF you paint the shorts and the legs pink, then people will just think they are wearing some awesome spandex!

You could also green stuff a kilt on them?

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

You could also green stuff a kilt on them?
Now, THAT's an idea - except you'd need to sort out their heads/helmets. No Scot worth their salt would wear a helm!

ex-BBRC member