Monthly Poll: Nurgle rules

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Given their complexity, would you willingly play or play against Nurgle in tabletop?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:47 pm

Yes
89%
No
11%
What's a Nurgle?!
No votes

Total votes: 54

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Monthly Poll: Nurgle rules

Post by faust_33 »

Last month folks voted on the Most Dreamy Star Player. Hey, it was February/Valentine's Day holiday after all.

Roxanna seems to be the heartthrob of choice, stealing 17% of the vote. A personal favorite of this coach. I promise I didn't rig it or vote multiple times!

Also in the running were Zara the Slayer, Karla Von Kill, and ... Wilhelm Chaney?! I guess hairy guys have fans too!

This month we have a Nurgle poll from Friend of the Polls "Dave". Dave loves to play Nurgle, but laments keeping track of all those mutations and skills across the different players. He avoids using them in tabletop games. He does have good fun with them in computer games, where all the calculations can be taken care of for him.

What do you say, are Nurgle too hard to play in tabletop? Vote in the poll!

Reason: ''
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Monthly Poll: Are Nurgles Too Complex for Tabletop?

Post by Olaf the Stout »

If Nurgle are too complicated for you to play with or against, I'd recommend you find simpler games to play (and Blood Bowl is hardly on the upper end for board game complexity).

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Play with and against... no issues!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

No problem with playing with or against them, I could see remembering to roll for foul appearance to be a pain for new players. Remembering disturbing presence could be a pain as well along with working out who is in range.

The biggest problem I have with Nurgle is the coaches who get into character of their team by not bathing or using deodorant.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Problem with the question as posed.

Thread title is "Are they too complex?"
Poll question is "Would you play against them?"

Almost voted based on thread title rather than poll question, and I doubt I'm the only one.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

dode74 wrote:Problem with the question as posed.

Almost voted based on thread title rather than poll question, and I doubt I'm the only one.
Thank you, hadnt spotted that. Changed my vote.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

What Olaf said, with the caveat that I don't think that for new players.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Seen as i play most of my Blood Bowl at a tournement then yes i wouldn't have a choice in playing against them, think i've only played them once though and drew a game at Cake Bowl vs Heartsbane because i placed my player wrong side of the beast allowing him to blitz through getting a nasty tentical tackle zone on my ball carrier, who was then unable to move to score in the last turn :(

They are more challenging to play against. But not impossible, they just bring a different flavour to the game, a dirty rotten flavour :puke:

But there not too complex and its infact good to see them on the pitch, the futures Nurgle, the futures blight :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Foul Appearance becomes standard by turn 2, just because it gets used over and over again.

Tentacles is irritating because it's used rarely and needlessly complicated; every time it's come into play, either I or my opponent have had to look it up. If you're playing Nurgle, I recommend having a copy of the rulebook around with the Tentacles description bookmarked.

Disturbing Presence does have some complexities, but they're reasonable; yes it does stack with itself, yes it works when the player is prone or stunned, yes it also works on interceptions (it's a catch roll), dump off (it's a pass roll), Bombardier, and so on.
But since grinning at your opponent and informing him that no, the pass was in fact not caught, is one of the greatest pleasures of playing Nurgle*, I see Disturbing Presence more as a feature than a bug.
The only downside is that I had a Nurgle opponent once lie to me and try to claim that DP works on ball pickup attempts. It does not. I say "Lie" because the coach in question had played Nurgle long enough that there's no possible way he didn't know how the skill works. And I found out afterwards that wasn't the first time he'd pulled that nonsense.

* - the other great pleasures are (1) watching your opponent squirm and die a little bit inside when they have to use a reroll on a Foul Appearance roll; (2) catching Gutter Runners, Skinks, and other incredibly irritating players with Tentacles; and (3) in a league, fouling opponents with rotters who were once their teammates.
These seem petty but there are so many low points when playing Nurgle that it forces you to notice and appreciate it when something works.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
stowelly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stowelly »

I also made the mistake of voting "no they are not too complex" rather than: "yes i would play them"

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

stowelly wrote:I also made the mistake of voting "no they are not too complex" rather than: "yes i would play them"
Vote isnt locked; you can change it.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

dode74 wrote:Problem with the question as posed.

Thanks Dode, I'll change both to match. I went through several iterations of the original question. I then had to shorten the original question because it was too long for the Poll.

EDIT: The Poll question is too long for the Subject as well, so I'm just going with 'Nurgle rules'.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Monthly Poll: Nurgle rules

Post by faust_33 »

I tend to agree with rolo on this one. There is some complexity to coaching Nurgle.

I am fine playing against a seasoned Coach who knows Nurgle. I wouldn't want to play against a new Coach or bring someone into the game with a Nurgle team.

I've yet to play Nurgle myself. I feel like it's a bit much to keep track of.

I think there are equally complex teams out there though, such as Goblins. Using Throw Teammate with a Goblin/Troll is cumbersome. As are the Special Weapons. Again, with a seasoned coach who knows their team well, it shouldn't be a problem.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

faust_33 wrote:Thanks Dode, I'll change both to match. I went through several iterations of the original question. I then had to shorten the original question because it was too long for the Poll.

EDIT: The Poll question is too long for the Subject as well, so I'm just going with 'Nurgle rules'.
Thanks - much clearer! :)

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Monthly Poll: Nurgle rules

Post by Lyracian »

I have won two local leagues with Nurgle. Opponents often strugle with Disturbing Presence either being too scared to ever pass or just forgetting about it completly and being upset when they find they need a 5+ or 6+ to catch.