Converting Nurgle team from new 40k Nurgle models?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

reroll
Rookie
Rookie

Converting Nurgle team from new 40k Nurgle models?

Post by reroll »

Hi all,

I can't be the only one looking at the new Nurgle 40k plastics (I have just the sprues from Dark Imperium so far) and thinking I can make a BB team from these excellently detailed, cool models, right?

Poxwalkers as Pestigors (they have horns!), Death Guard as Warriors. I'll use a few zombies as rotters. And don't know yet about the Beast - maybe the 'shell' of a bloat drone, with a scultped snail with tentacles as the body inside the shell (maybe too big - I'm sure I could easily find something).

So, who's already done it? The big question is which 4 Death Guard are the best for removing the bolters from really. (Maybe the brand new modular sprues for the new unit of 7 Marines would be best).

Any tips / suggestions?

Thanks.

Reason: ''
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Converting Nurgle team from new 40k Nurgle models?

Post by spubbbba »

Have you considered using the putrid blightkings instead of the plague marines?

The marines look like they have some high tech parts that would be hard to hide and you also have the backpacks. These might look odd if left on or leave a void if removed.

How about plague bearers for the rotters or pestigors? They have a horn and you can can also mix them with normal BB models to make rotters.

The plastic chaos spawn has a lot of bits so could be the beast or combined with the drone.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I like both ideas, never seen a 40k team done though, like Spubbbba says, it would be hard to turn the futuristic models into something that represents a fantasy model, unless your looking to build a 40k team in the blood bowl universe, which although i dislike from a "fluff" perspective, if done right, i would still like to see it and wouldn't be adversely apposed to play against (like at a tournament) it either.

The Blight Knight idea would be the one I'd go for though if I ever get around to it, especially now that the new boards have bigger squares to fit larger models into them.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

I think J-Bone has been doing this on his Nurgle team - I'm sure he's put pictures on Facebook or Twitter.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

howlinggriffon wrote:I think J-Bone has been doing this on his Nurgle team - I'm sure he's put pictures on Facebook or Twitter.
Yep they look really good, the kit bashed beastmen/plague bearers are sweet (well rotten).

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
reroll
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reroll »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Anyone know how I find J-Bone on FB / Twitter? Keen to see these pictures.

I have 3 of my 4 warriors made so far (bar a tiny bit of green-stuffing). The 4th one will come not from the Dark Imperium set, but from the push-fit Death Guard, when my order arrives. I have left the backpacks off, and will be plasticarding over the small hole that leaves on some of them to make a place to paint the numbers on.

I have one Rotter made so far using a Poxwalker - one who had no weapons. The rest will need weapons removed (like the Death Guard Warriors), and again some of the push-fit ones will be used when they arrive - it’s all about picking the ones who will look best once weapons are removed, and also picking the ones where weapons can be removed.

For Pestigors, I’m stealing an idea above (thanks Spubbbba) - using Plaguebearers. These guys are out of stock currently, which is what is holding up my order.

Haven’t thought about the beast too much more yet.

Re the Blight Kings idea, yeah they would look good, but I’ve seen that done already and I’m not paying out even more! I had the Death Guard already (got them cheap). I don’t think they look too futuristic with weapons and backpack removed, but time will tell :)

reroll
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reroll »

Okay, I see the J Bone Chaos team on the actual BB FB page now. Very nice.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

reroll wrote:Okay, I see the J Bone Chaos team on the actual BB FB page now. Very nice.
Can you post a link? I've listened to their podcast and curious how several of his teams have turned out.

reroll
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reroll »

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0111727104

Hope that works. If not, just go to the official Facebook Blood Bowl page (which is just called “Blood Bowl”, and look at the latest posts.

What podcast are you referring to?

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

reroll wrote:https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0111727104

Hope that works. If not, just go to the official Facebook Blood Bowl page (which is just called “Blood Bowl”, and look at the latest posts.

What podcast are you referring to?
Thanks, the link works. JBone is one of the hosts on the Double Skulls podcast.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Four Nurgle Bestigors, all built.
Knocked up using some Plaguebearers and the Chaos Beastmen kit.
They’re getting painted quickly, mostly using washes, so will be tabletop ready pretty soon.

Ryggyl Moonflaw

Ylgaulatts Twiceblight

Skuldrich Fuseflare

Malgros Deadspit

Knocked up my rotters using Plague Bearers. That's a pretty simple weapons snip and some reposing, but let me know if you want to see those, for some ideas.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Jip wrote:Four Nurgle Bestigors, all built.
They’re getting painted quickly, mostly using washes, so will be tabletop ready pretty soon.
I told you on Facebook and I told you here. I love the job you are doing with this team, and I can't wait to see them in the field :)

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Jip wrote:Four Nurgle Bestigors, all built.
Knocked up my rotters using Plague Bearers. That's a pretty simple weapons snip and some reposing, but let me know if you want to see those, for some ideas.
They are looking really good. GW's beastmen models are not the best, but combining them with the plaguebearers is really effective.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
reroll
Rookie
Rookie

Post by reroll »

Now I need a box of beastmen too! Their heads on my Plaguebearers bodies - genius

Thank you. Yours look great :)

And thanks re the podcast name as well - I listen to 3DB and BD, but not that one - will subscribe

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

If you’re patient and have a bit of luck, you might be able to find some on eBay to save you buying a whole box, that’s what I did.

Anything but a One and the (now discontinued) Orca-Cola Cast is worth listening to, too.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.