Single roll Armour/Injury

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Single roll Armour/Injury

Post by Itchen Masack »

At this weekend's excellent Exiles Speedbowl event (2 min turns) it was quite common to see Armour and Injury rolls to be made at the same time with different colour pairs of dice. The Injury dice were just ignored if the armour roll was too low.

Quite taken with this method, and wondered if anyone would object with it becoming more widespread? For me it would appear to have the obv advantage of speeding up play a little, but also to my mind rolling 4 dice at once instead of 2 could lead to more random rolling? More objects shaken together, more collisions, more random (this may be completely untrue, but it works that way in my head!)

No idea who first used this method of rolling, but for me, it's a great idea. Thoughts?

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Single roll Armour/Injury

Post by sann0638 »

Similar to rolling 2 dice for pick up if you have sure hands?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

Hmmm, i guess, though in reality that has irritated me in the past lol but i could get used to it :)

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Why not go the whole hog? 3 different coloured block dice (for 1d, 2d and 3d blocks) and 2 pairs of different coloured d6 all at the same time for 7 dice every block. Ignore any non-relevant dice.

;)

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

You'd only need 2 colours of block dice? a single and a double? :P I'm not made of money!

gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

I personally dont like it. When I am playing, during my opponents turn I am planning my own turn.
I find it easier to watch one dice roll, assess the skills to be applied or not (eg MB) and then watch a second set of dice rolls (if required).

I dont like having to look at 4 dice, figure which are whcih, apply skills which may or may not apply to either set (eg MB) all whilst my opponent may be picking those dice up before I have figured out what is going on because he/she has already calculated the result.

The assumption is that its "faster" but in a full game I doubt it saves more than a few minutes in total.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I like it, but also sympathize with Gregory. Especially since I'm the referee in a lot of games, I need to know what is what. I think it would work well, as long as everyone is using an agreed upon dice color. Like a darker color for the secondary dice roll. Or maybe everyone only uses white for the first die roll, and all secondary die rolls can be any color other than white (or vice versa).

birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

I went one step further and got actual custom dice made for this express purpose.

Greg's in my league. I have yet to play him, but now I know I have something to look forward to when we do finally play a game! :orc:

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

love those dice

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Urgh... it really pains me to say this... I agree with Greg. I find it annoying as it has a tendency to 'jolt' my brain (for want of a better term). The effort to recognise which dice are the armour dice is tiny, but enough to disrupt my concentration.
I'm also not convinced those doing so get it right every time. I frequently see people getting the numbers the wrong way around when scattering a kick, or rolling the casualty dice. It would be so easy to mistakenly apply the injury dice to the armour roll.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Specific Armour and injury dice would do my head in, thinking about it. Smacks of.lucky dice.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

Can agree that some would find it annoying, distracting, I did myself at first. That aside are there any thoughts on 4 dice being shaken/rolled somehow lead to a fairer throw than just 2 dice? More chance to bounce off one another to randomise the roll?

Think there might be an issue with Piling On and Dual Rolling. If MB was required to break the armour and the known result was only stunned, it could be possible to rr the armour hoping for more?

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

As the TO this weekend I had no issues with it. The only time I would have an issue is if Piling On was in play as you need to see the AV roll and decide to reroll or not before you know the injury roll. But that wasn't on any of the rosters this weekend.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Itchen Masack wrote:are there any thoughts on 4 dice being shaken/rolled somehow lead to a fairer throw than just 2 dice? More chance to bounce off one another to randomise the roll?
Doubt it makes any difference. Can you predict the 2d result any better when 2 are rolled than when 4 are rolled? If not then there's no functional difference.

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

I have suspicions that many times dice are not shaken/mixed very well at all. With 4 dice I would hope that mixing them is unavoidable