WARNING about minitures seller.

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Re: WARNING about minitures seller.

Post by bound for glory »

Why the hell is the guy doing business? I was doing him a favor and bought items from his store. I thought, "why not give an american money?"

This guy is a F'ing joke. My wife Just checked and pay pal refunded the $140. Guy did'nt want my money, I will NEVER bother with him again.

Reason: ''
Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Company announced this week that they are permanently closing the company.

This last week was a bit of a blood bath of miniatures companies. Tor Gaming, Spartan Games, On the Lamb Games and Sgt Major Miniatures all announced ceasing operations over the last week.

Sorry you caught them at the end John ... but glad to see you were able to get your money back without issue.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

I tried with $140 to give the guy business. I certainly would'nt have sent him money if I knew the guy was set to fold...

Rick Sanchez lives!
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Being honest I should give Impact! my business. I will begin to "fill out" some of the teams that Phil made for his Elf Ball. I know I need a few of his "Knoll" figures and maybe those "Desert Dogs"(which are quite nice miniatures)(off topic, but I have my music of "shuffle" and "Where have you been" by Reel Big Fish just came on a I KRANCK THAT BITCH!!) But really buy those figures.I highly recomemend. They make a nice alturnitive human team and the figure themselves are very nice sculpts. Why Phil only made like 5 different models for the set is quite beyond me.

Tom, what is the story there? Some of the desert and Knolls(which I really like. I honestly would Love to see more Knolls.) only have a few models. Why did'nt Phil make more? Just not enough money to make them? Heck, I think they would sell, meant to say, If he had small runs of the casts, he could at least break even...

Rick Sanchez lives!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Iirc Phil's Phigs were made for his Elfball game, which didn't need that many sculpts, more just enough to differentiate the position types. They weren't made as Blood Bowl figs.

(And that's all I picked up from his old website, so I might be remembering some or all of it wrong.)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Thank you, Darkson. I bought from Phil before I knew Tom or this site. Phil was at a convention and I bought directly from him and got his email address. I then bought from Phil until he sold to Tom.

I still find it strange that he never filled out the teams. Mean to say, when I talked to Phil, he was selling his teams "as Blood Bowl" teams. He did'nt say "these are only good for my game "elf ball". And believe me, I am not trying to argue with you Darkson. Phil was selling his miniatures to Blood Bowl players. In fact, when I met Phil, he was giving out his Elf Ball rules free of charge(Elf Ball was just a few pages at that point). Tom made the game what it is today.

I also find it very strange that Phil never came out of his self imposed retirement. When I met the man, he told me he was planning "properly scaled ogres(whatever that ment), and his take on Hobgoblins. I find it odd that he did'nt make a Blood Bowl figure during the "boom" in 2006-2012 when it seemed like everybody and his uncle were making Blood Bowl figures(I guess you can put Goblin Forge and that company that made that Orc team that I paid $100 for in the "where are they now" file. My wife nearly killed me over that. Now everybody's teams are $105 these days).

Maybe Tom can fill us in on Phil...Tom?

Rick Sanchez lives!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Phil is, or at least was, big into Guild Ball - had a podcast for it.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

Phil was at the Amorical Cup in June. I got the impression that he wasn't incredibly interested in Blood Bowl at the moment.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

bound for glory wrote:Maybe Tom can fill us in on Phil...Tom?
So Phil was never big on thinking you needed different poses for the same positional player. He thought it helped game play to have one figure for each player type. So in his Elfball game he had Midfielder, Hunter, Striker, Defender and Thrower as the 5 positionals (a concept I modified by kept when I bought and revised the game). So when Phil sculpted the figures he only sculpted one model for each Elfball position. Yes he could sell that as Blood Bowl sets and I am 100% sure BfG that he was selling them at a convention or tournament bundled in Blood Bowl style sets. But the reason that there are not more than 4 or 5 sculpts is because of the one-two punch of his believing lack of diversity adds clarify to playing and matching the figures up to his Elfball positions.

So for example the Desert Dogs teams has one of each of the 5 Elfball positions so he sculpted 5 different figures. The Divine Wind team in Elfball does not have a Thower so there was no Thrower sculpted for the team (even though the BB equivalent of a Human team would definitely need a Thrower model).

When I ran my big move Impact! metal teams to resin KickStarter in 2014, I reached out to Phil and asked if he would sculpt a few more models for me so the Desert Dogs and Divine Wind teams could be used as Human teams without repeating the same model more than 2 times per a team set. Phil said even back then that he was strongly losing interest in Blood Bowl but as a favor to me and a thank you for keeping his work alive ... he agreed to accept a sculpting contract to convert metal masters from the existing figures he already had created to make 5 new models for the Desert Dogs and 5 new models for the Divine Wind. So the resin version of the Desert Dogs and Divine Wind on my site has those extra new models from Phil in them.

Not heard from him much since that project. So there were 10 new Phil sculpts in these 2 ranges but the figures are all in resin.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

I certainly did not know the Desert Dogs had new models, as I bought the team from you in 2004.

I will go to IMPACT! right now... :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

That's a pretty interesting story. I think you can add variations and still make the positionals clear. Though I remember back to when I was first starting to learn, and I had to constantly ask "What is that guy? Ok. What is that guy over there?". A minute later, pointing at one of the same figs "What is that guy? Does he have block?". So in that respect, I can partially understand.

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Played against GW Amazons last night and seldom had a clue what I was looking at. The one exception was a blitzer represented by Lucky Luc! Gave me a new appreciation for color-coded bases.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

Gaixo wrote:Played against GW Amazons last night and seldom had a clue what I was looking at. The one exception was a blitzer represented by Lucky Luc! Gave me a new appreciation for color-coded bases.
i have that team, and yes... color codes bases are a must.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Off topic, but Tom, are the new devine wind and desert dogs figures avaible as single figures?

Rick Sanchez lives!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

bound for glory wrote:Off topic, but Tom, are the new devine wind and desert dogs figures avaible as single figures?
No ... sorry.

They were sculpted for the exact reason to create a single resin team mold that had a full Human team in it with no mini more than twice. So the only place these minis are for me to cast them through a resin mold with all the other figures for the team. I could sell a set of the new single figures ... but the cost to do so would be that of the entire team as the rest of the minis would need to be scraped.