Trying to play more games.....

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

molmutius
Rookie
Rookie

Trying to play more games.....

Post by molmutius »

Having returned to Bloodbowl in November after 20 odd years and not really having much opposition.
In April I popped a card in the local Bishops Waltham post office to see if there was any local opposition out there.
Nope.
I entered the Albion Coast Cup and somehow wasn't bottom of league after the 6 games. I really enjoyed the 2nd day when I managed to get 3 points to take me off the overnight bottom of the league.
I chatted to a few "local" players about leagues. Portsmouth is too far away (time wise. 38 minutes on. Google maps) and Southampton isnt that easy to get to either (L plates on the scooter and a car that you're never quite sure if it will be your last drive)I was informed there was also a gaming club in Waterloovile. On a sunday. And that I can post on a Sunday on its Facebook page to see if there is someone up for a game.
Now the biggest issue I have is that I generally Scooter about everywhere so I can't travel with my board/don't want to as I think it will slowly succumb to wear and tear. Does anyone have any recommendations about cloth or neoprene pitches out there. Brands, costs where to purchase.

Also when I played Juck he had some handy weather cards to remind you of the weather (very handy when I got a "3" to catch only to think I dropped it because it was raining (4+), to then notice that the weather had changed to nice weather (we had had 6 kick offs by then and the weather must have changed by then)) so are there any links to where I can print them out, these weather cards?
And also lots of people had cards to show how many squares you needed to count so you didn't need to use the range ruler. Where can I find that?

Thanks very much.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Trying to play more games.....

Post by lunchmoney »

molmutius wrote: And also lots of people had cards to show how many squares you needed to count so you didn't need to use the range ruler. Where can I find that?

Thanks very much.
First result http://www.arosbb.dk/default.asp?p=pr
Can print that on a small page. Other options are out there.

After a while you won't need it anymore as it well become second nature.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

Shameless plug
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tion&hl=en
It has passing and interception chart.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

For a mouse pad type pitch check out Deep Cut Studio http://www.deepcutstudio.com
I have one of their prototypes from when they wanted them tested, and really liked it.
I'd have bought some since, but they've gone to the new, bigger sized pitch which is of no use to me, but if the size isn't an issue I recommend.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

You can play anyone, anywhere via VASSAL - just take your laptop with you: www.garykrockover.com/BB/

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

What benefits are there playing VASSAL over FUMBBL or Cyanide? Certainly playing online will improve your gameplay.

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

harvestmouse wrote:What benefits are there playing VASSAL over FUMBBL or Cyanide? Certainly playing online will improve your gameplay.
I won't call them "benefits" but I'll point out some differences. I'm definitely trying to compete with FUMBBL or BB2 or even tabletop; I'm just simply offering more ways to play this great game:

1. You can play by email (my preferred method of play). Turns flow quickly and smoothly because of the (mostly) asynchronized turn structure. If you can't make the obvious choice for your opponents action during your turn, then you pause the log and await his/her response. This has *rarely* come up in all of the pbem games that I've played.

2. You don't have to be online to do your pbem turns. If you're offline, do your turn and save your log locally and then email (or dropbox it) once you're connected again.

3. You *can* play live online and you're not restricted to anything - everything goes. You don't have to connect to the central server either, you can play P2P. Make your team as you like, play your league/one-off as you like. It's like having a tabletop version of the game with all (up to LRB6) figs and star players. It's a big sandbox.

4. VASSAL doesn't enforce *any* rules or give you any tips (ex: 3+ to dodge if you move to this square). So you *have* to know how to play the game. Great if you want to learn it inside and out without a "crutch".

5. It's completely free/ad-ware/spy-ware free. (So is FUMBBL).

6. I think aesthetically it looks *much* better than FUMBBL but that's subjective. Nobody can compete with BB2 obviously.

7. All the stats for the pieces are visible when you mouse over the piece and not on a sidebar. The stats are completely editable as well, including the piece name and number.

8. I'll reiterate: it's a total sandbox. Play with mixed races. Play with 20 pieces on each side or only 3. Play 7's. Play whatever. I'd add dungeonbowl and anything else upon request.

So again - not competing - just giving more play options. :)

-Dean Vernon Wormer
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

GJK wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:What benefits are there playing VASSAL over FUMBBL or Cyanide? Certainly playing online will improve your gameplay.
6. I think aesthetically it looks *much* better than FUMBBL but that's subjective. Nobody can compete with BB2 obviously.
Heh, I think FUMBBL looks better than BB2. Yea, the characters look pretty, but after awhile I get tired of seeing the same animations over and over in the Cyanide game. With FUMBBL, VASSAL, and tabletop, you have to use your imagination to envision what's happening with those little creatures, which can be quite fun.

molmutius
Rookie
Rookie

Post by molmutius »

Thanks for the replies. I've looked at some other pages on the archives on this site.

The interception app is downloaded on the phone. Thanks for that.

The board advice looks good. As the only others I found were from Comixininos's website (both have pricey p&p) but for the love of the game.

I do try and avoid computers especially gaming. I'm enough of a recluse already but doing turn by turn via email seems quite good idea. But I've I've only got a tablet and a phone..... And I can feel myself cooking in WiFi after a while.

Thanks once again.

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

Another option for travel is that little magnetic BB set that Coxminos (sp) has on their website. I think I read one review of someone that bought one (a favorable review) so I know that they actually exist (or once did). It's a bit pricey though as I recall. I've thought of just making one myself which wouldn't be terribly difficult.

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Didn't he have to remove that as he hadn't got permission from the guy that made the graphics?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:Didn't he have to remove that as he hadn't got permission from the guy that made the graphics?
AFAIK he found some agreement with the guy.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Regash wrote:
Darkson wrote:Didn't he have to remove that as he hadn't got permission from the guy that made the graphics?
AFAIK he found some agreement with the guy.
And you'd be wrong.

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

CyberedElf wrote:Shameless plug
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tion&hl=en
It has passing and interception chart.
+1 for this one. Very useful.

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

lunchmoney wrote:
molmutius wrote: After a while you won't need it anymore as it well become second nature.
Really? Clearly you pass the ball too much. Or I am just a slow learner :-?