Is the Rumour true? 2510 mentioned in the rulebook somewhere

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Is the Rumour true? 2510 mentioned in the rulebook somewhere

Post by Babs »

There is a rumour that despite editing by Andy and James, that somehow a 2510 date slipped through, despite the current year meaning to be the 2494/2495 season.

I've looked through both the BB rulebook and DZ season I and can't see it. Can someone tell me where it's found, or is it a spurious rumour that has no basis in fact?

Reason: ''
=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Is the Rumour true? 2510 mentioned in the rulebook somew

Post by harvestmouse »

Well in all previous editions the BB year was relevant to the actual year. 2487, 2488, 2494. As really the last full release was 3rd. It would make sense to bump it to be relevant to the current year.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Using past method (real+500), it should be 2517.

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Steam Ball wrote:Using past method (real+500), it should be 2517.
Yup, especially since the (real life) Blood Bowl winners in the past have been acknowledged as the actual champions.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

Personally, I prefer the reboot to 3ed year. The real team names does not really fit the fluff.

If they had created 20 years worth of fluff, then sure, but I guess they did not have time. Would have been a good idea with each DZ season release to increase it by a few years, until the current one. Maybe they will start in DZ3?

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

It could really complicate things if they move time on too much for some of the star players.

Humans only have a few good years in them and other races have similar or shorter lifespans. Of course you could have some magic reason for them still being about I guess. There's also the option of making stars not be unique and instead representative of an archetype, but then that causes issues when stars get cancelled out if both teams take them.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

The coolest move (with the understanding that coolness is extremely subjective) would have been to give the impression that we're checking back in on an ongoing world. So while the dwarven and elven stars are still around, Griff has retired, Zug is even more grizzled than was previously the case, Fezglitch has been rebuilt as some sort of cyborg, Zara has been supplanted by a younger slayer, and so on. People generally enjoy "20 years later..." sort of stories, and it gives a bit of a wink at the fact that GW have been away from this world for years.

It is 100% understandable that GW wants to keep Griff around, but it still feels like a missed opportunity to acknowledge the fact that this edition is pretty far removed from the earlier ones.

MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

I agree that would be cool. However, I guess they went the "minimum changes" way that everyone was asking for, which was (imho) the right decision. Otherwise we would have had more G&C from the beginning as some stars retire and others pop up.

Between a reboot to 2493 / keeping all the"real world winners" (and having to explain Griff with 50+ years) / new stars (and maybe other changes) in 2517 fluff I prefer the first one, hands down.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Yeah, the sense I get about the reboot was that the designers didn't want to have to recreate all of the Star Players, as that would have had a significant impact on gameplay, especially tournaments, but couldn't justify all of them still being alive and playing if the game was 25 years advanced. (Especially with the casualty rate of Blood Bowl.) It's hard to marry the fluff with real-life year progressions.

Milo

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Gruff, son of Griff? ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

There could have been a dozen illegitimate Griff Oberwalds Junior.

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

Gaixo wrote:There could have been a dozen illegitimate Griff Oberwalds Junior.
How do we know they are his off-spring? Do they all have chickens on their heads?

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Milo wrote:but couldn't justify all of them still being alive and playing if the game was 25 years advanced. (Especially with the casualty rate of Blood Bowl.)
Star Players never really die on the pitch. :roll:

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

So I take it is a spurious rumour?

I was trying to find it in amongst the descriptions of stars in DZ1, perhaps as an award they'd received? (I have no idea where this date would be, but I thought that'd be the logical place for it to slip through...)

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

I thought you'd started it, since I hadn't heard it anywhere other than this thread.