Too much scale creep

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

you like 'em big?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:48 am

I like this new 32mm scale
38%
I don't like this new 32mm scale
34%
I hate this new 32mm scale
14%
I have no oppinion
14%

Total votes: 64

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Too much scale creep

Post by bound for glory »

I'm not too keen on this 32mm nonsense. Mean to say, it looks halfassed next to older stuff like 2nd ed, and why 32mm anyway? It seems to me, that no one is trying to do anything but bigger, these days.

I like the new orc's. The humans are so so imo. I also like the dwarves and skaven. I buy alot of BB/FF figures, but I guess I will be slowing down if this is the way things will be. I really like WILLY miniatures, but I skipped a bunch of their miniatures because of the size problem.

How do you lot feel about this scale creep?

Reason: ''
Rick Sanchez lives!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Too much scale creep

Post by Darkson »

Hate it - new models make the vast majority of my BB collection look undersized, and the new figures won't fit easily on an old pitch, which I use as I don't want to have to play side-on, which I would have to with the new one.
Will be passing on 32mm models, like that really nice Chaos team that is on Indiegogo at the moment.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

While I sometimes miss the character of the old GW models, overall I'm more impressed with the new 32mm models. The Dwarves and Skaven look great. The Orcs are okay, same with Humans. I think with the 'upgrade' parts from FW, both those teams will look a lot better. Though I'm still not a fan of the plates on the Orcs.

The biggest thing for me though, is consistency. Plastic Humans from 3rd edition looked puny compared to later minis. I really didn't like the inconsistency in sizes between the different teams previously. Though the minis produced from Forge World seem to be a bit too large compared to the newest releases. But I also don't plan to buy much from FW.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

The new models are fantastic.

Almost the entire range of old models look garbage. They got value as classiscs and historical value.

I was too young to go all in then so now I feel this is my chance to get the official game and models.

I think the difference in size is ok on a team basis. An older small team don't stand out completely against a newer team. Old pitches don't work well now. But for games with alot of big guys, typically on 40mm bases (even for some new big guys from forge world), the new pitch is fantastic. New pitches also look better and are available in better materials than old (cardboard, plastic mat and mouse mat).

I think the size is ok but larger bases doesn't add much value.

But the game is so old, we can afford a change now. And changes in pitch size is backwards compatible with smaller bases.

Akso some 3rd party models are quite small in scale like black scorpion studio I think. Too small in my view.

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

I love the new models. I was concerned about this but I really don't care, I find it pretty funny when I field my 2nd ed chaos dwarfs against the new models :D

The important thing is the quality of the design really, and for the most part they are excellent.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I like the new models, and the size difference is no big deal in the end. Even before the new BB was released, there was already a wide variety of different manufacturers, some of them offering larger figures than others.

I do like feeling like I'm attending a real sports game, and the immersion is easier when both teams at least look like they're from the same universe. But quality counts for more than size there. I'd rather use (or play against) well-painted 32mm scale models than a half-hearted smaller team. This is compounded a bit by some of the "classic" models coming in a bit smaller than true 28mm scale, which makes the comparison look worse than it really is.

But once the dice start rolling, all that counts is that I can tell what the models are supposed to be. In that sense, arguing about the scale is kind of silly. It's like if chess players brought their own chess sets to tournaments, and someone complained that their opponents pawns were too big.

The only negative (for me) is that increasing the size of the models led to GW increasing the size of their bases, which led to them making a new field which doesn't fit on my gaming table. Well, it does, but I have to play side-to-side like some common FumBBL'er, and there's less room for drinks and snacks. But I solved this problem by playing with my old field, which still works fine even with 32mm bases.

By the way, a lot of the newer Willy models are smaller, much closer to 28mm than their older work. And they look fantastic as always.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

garion wrote:I love the new models. I was concerned about this but I really don't care, I find it pretty funny when I field my 2nd ed chaos dwarfs against the new models :D
Yea, my Chaos Dwarves are one of the few old set of minis I haven't given up yet. They look a little funny standing next to the other minis, but they are only a little on the short side. I just think of them as really evil little dwarves.

The one other thing I'm bothered by is the base size of the minis. The new big guys are all on the same base as the regular players (at least that's what FW and GW give you). Varag Ghoul-Chewer (from FW) is so large, he looks sorta like a big guy, even though he isn't. So now I'm wondering if I should increase all the big guys bases to the next size, so I can at least differentiate that way? Decisions, decisions.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I don't care about size. I have always played side to side. I think the size creep is a gimmick to get people to buy more minis. As a business decision that gets GW more money and in return they can more fully support Blood Bowl (hiring better editors . . .), I'm a fan.

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

I think not only is the scale creep a method to out date smaller, older models, it's also a way of making the newer products all the more grander and detailed. I think they look fantastic, I'm super happy with my new edition humans and the scale we're on now.

It was a change none of us asked for and many of us dismissed (because it was a change) but in actuality I think it looks fantastic.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

As a painter of lesser ability, I preferred the old style less cluttered minis simply because they were quicker and easier to paint, as painting is more of a chore than a pleasure for me. I am unlikely to rebuy teams I already have that I have painted, because "I am not doing that again".

So I would say I dislike the larger size, but I am not going to stop buying minis because of it.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
charlesanakin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by charlesanakin »

The reason for the size increase is simple. The models are being 3D printed and even slightly larger allows for more detail (with cost efficiency). The old GW models are just awful for the most part and 3rd party ones will adapt. I really don't care much about the size a nice looking team that's painted is enough for me.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

charlesanakin wrote:The reason for the size increase is simple. The models are being 3D printed and even slightly larger allows for more detail (with cost efficiency). The old GW models are just awful for the most part and 3rd party ones will adapt. I really don't care much about the size a nice looking team that's painted is enough for me.
Except other brands manage to print smaller scales with plenty of detail (not talking about other FF teams, look for 15mm, or even 6mm, soldiers for example). Also "more" detail is leading to "beyond rococo". Not just a beard, but as much hair as it fits, and then some more, while ignoring basic things like muscles or poses looking weird.

besters

Post by besters »

I don't like the increase in size and think the new models aren't great and don't have enough to distinguish positional players.

Probably not helped by being short sighted and colour blind!

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

As someone coming back to TT BB I'm fine with the new scale. I suspect that GW aren't doing it to invalidate your collections but rather so that that the BB minis match the scale of the rest of their range which seems to have made the transition to 32mm at some point in the last 20 years (this might have been to invalidate people's collections, I don't know :) ).

That said I was never much of a fan of the 3rd edition minis. Too many slight variations on a single pose and all a bit chunky and cartoonish. The 2nd ed minis I have nostalgia for but also suffer from very limited variation when compared to the modern figures, especially the third party ones.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

I'm buying a bunch of stuff from Comix(whatever). In a scale I like.

28MM. This new 32mm is not really bad when you line a smaller team up against them. Its no big deal or a deal breaker. I just prefer the smaller figures.

Rick Sanchez lives!