Sponsorships, Rostered Stars and Stadiums

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Sponsorships, Rostered Stars and Stadiums

Post by stashman »

Milo wrote:
stashman wrote:As I understand it, ongoing is kept when redrafting. You could loose some FF in the redraft

Ongoing is still there even if your team loose FF either thru losing a game or losing it to redraft.
Why, you could even consider ongoing sponsorships a reason to stick with a high FF team despite injuries having reset your roster back to start, giving you a reason to hang onto your Chaos Dwarf team with 38 wins.
Yes understand :-)

But the nice part is that teams keep ongoing sponsorships even if the team is 'going down' and start a losing streak. Thats a goody.

But I was thinking that One-Time sponsors wont let rostered star players MNG but that is nothing written as that for Ongoing Sponsors. Is it missprint or the rostered star player is able to miss next game?

Reason: ''
iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

stashman wrote:
But I was thinking that One-Time sponsors wont let rostered star players MNG but that is nothing written as that for Ongoing Sponsors. Is it missprint or the rostered star player is able to miss next game?
seems like a purposeful distinction to me

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Having a long-standing hatred of Star Players (and Special Characters in GW games in general) I'd never use the Roster Stars rules, but Sponsorship and Stadiums sound interesting.

Now if only I had a league... :(

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

Darkson wrote:Having a long-standing hatred of Star Players (and Special Characters in GW games in general) I'd never use the Roster Stars rules, but Sponsorship and Stadiums sound interesting.

I hate star players too, i don't see their use. but in general i like death zone 2 and this edition overall. We can argue about too many Dz or supplements, but i like this edition so far.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

Darkson wrote:Having a long-standing hatred of Star Players (and Special Characters in GW games in general) I'd never use the Roster Stars rules, but Sponsorship and Stadiums sound interesting.

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way - Blood Bowl for me is a lot about creating and growing your own stars, inserting a prebuild one into your roster (that presumably will do a lot of the work) just feels off.

Stadiums and sponsorships however support this feeling of building and growing your team and players very well. I am happy that most people here seem to be statisfied with them, though I'd like to hear a bit more about stadiums.

I'd love to have a copy of DZ2, but with the possibility of translation still kind of on the table I will hold off because I'd rather have my collection be uniform in language.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Deathrain wrote:

And I thought I was the only one who felt that way - Blood Bowl for me is a lot about creating and growing your own stars, inserting a prebuild one into your roster (that presumably will do a lot of the work) just feels off.
Lots of coaches will feel this way, and certainly I wouldn't rush to add Varag to my Orc team right away myself, preferring to build the team naturally.

That said, many of the tier 2 and 3 teams could become significantly more playable with a star added to the team, so long as you have the income to support them. Halflings could benefit from having Puggy, Deeproot or Bertha on the roster; Goblins could certainly find a use for Ripper; etc.

I'd say a significant number of leagues allow Stars permanently in some fashion -- by codifying some rules for it, we just give them what we think as a balanced framework for doing so. Many leagues or coaches may not want to use it, and that's okay too.

Milo

iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

Milo wrote: Goblins could certainly find a use for Ripper; etc.
A third, non-Really Stupid, non-Always Hungry troll significantly changes the team, you don't have to put any goblins on the LoS and have a much more reliable TTM. I am much pleased to welcome Ripper onto my team.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

Assuming you were going to start a team just to hire a Permanent Star Player I was wondering which would be the best team? My first thought was getting a Chainsaw but then you only get Fan Fave for half the game. Lizards with Silibi on the Team looks strong; Sidewinder could be pretty good on any Elf team. Stunty teams are vastly improved by stars, are there any other Stars that people think would be worth hiring? How many ongoing Sponsorships would you want before hiring them?

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Interesting questions!

The only thing I thought of was getting Bertha for Amazons since they don't have a big player and she's got Dodge so fits well with their theme. Preferably there would be enough sponsorships to cover that.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Khemri with Ithaca is the best for my money.

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

nazgob wrote:Khemri with Ithaca is the best for my money.
This. I was recently in a tournament and faced off against a Khemri team with Ithaca. The worry you feel about being able to pick up the ball disappears with Ithaca on your team. That player made a HUGE impact on the game.

Winning... it beats losing.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

We never used Star Players when playing tabletop. Not sure if we didn't totally understand the rules at the time, didn't have enough money, etc. Things seemed to be just fine and as our players leveled up, Star Players really seemed pointless.

When I played the Cyanide version, it seemed I was always getting Star Players through inducements. That's when I started to realize some of their value.

Also on the tabletop side, I collected some of the old Star Players. 1) Because I'm crazy about collecting stuff. 2) Because they looked cool and I thought they would be fun to paint. With the new tabletop stuff being released, I'm pretty much back to 1 and 2. Though I can imagine when I get things painted and we get around to painting, we might see some of them get added to teams.

One other advantage I was thinking of with the rostered Star Players, is depriving the other team of them. Adding Ripper to your Goblin team, means you won't be running into him on an Orc team.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Still quite an expensive price just for that single +1 AG.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

JT-Y wrote:Re the Bombardier; select a player and he remains the bombardier until he dies. Should he die or get fired move the benefit to another player.
Essentially the sponsorship is on the team not the player so the team retains it after a player death, but you don't get to switch it around as you like.

0-12/0-16, same difference.
Came to the thread to ask about both of these things. Thanks!

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
stashman

Post by stashman »

Can you keep your Rostered Star Player all season, even during the play-offs? Semifinals and finals?