Sponsorships, Rostered Stars and Stadiums

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Sponsorships, Rostered Stars and Stadiums

Post by Milo »

Death Zone season 2 adds a bunch of optional rules for different stadiums, sponsorships for teams and adding a star permanently to your roster. I know with league cycles and such that it's unlikely anyone will be using them immediately, but if your team plays on (or becomes resident in) a unique stadium, gets a major sponsorship or invests in a rostered star, I'd love to hear your stories and how these rules influenced both your games and your team development.

Reason: ''
Milo

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Sponsorships, Rostered Stars and Stadiums

Post by DaImp »

We already use house ruled Stadiums in our league and they have been very popular, adding a lot of fluff to the season. I will be keeping them in for the next league season and adjusting them to work with the Death Zone rules (which I have not read yet). I will also be allowing permanent Star Players on teams and if the sponsorship rules look decent will probably include them as well.

I am keen on making the league play as fluffy as possible with loads of these sort of rules. Tournament play is where things can be strict and balanced but leagues allow greater freedom in upping the fun. Will post back with out experiences here - next season only starts in a couple of months though.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

In the last league I ran (about 5 years ago now) we used old stadium rules from WD, custom star players (created when old league teams retired) that could be perma-hired, and sponsorships (I awarded an extra 10k in a team treasury when the coach wrote a match report that included their sponsor).

Some sponsors I can remember of the top of my head:
Fester's - Because you wouldn't want a warm one (Nurgle sponsor),
Arrogance - a fragrance for Elves,
HaribOgre - soft chews to save your Snotlings from being eaten,

Plus an absolutely brilliant one by a coach called Rumble. He invented an entire town called Rumble, where his teams came from, and variously moved around the town finding different sponsors; everything from the WI to an Aglet Factory.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

lunchmoney wrote: sponsorships (I awarded an extra 10k in a team treasury when the coach wrote a match report that included their sponsor).
I like that! That's a fun way to incentivize your coaches to really build a background and story for their teams, which in turn makes the whole league feel less mechanical and stale. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that for my own leagues.

Milo

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Really like the new DZ2 stuff.

But the new Refs was not my cup of tea...

Sponsorships
This is cool and it gave our league a new dimension for our next season. We play minor and major leagues and 2-3 cups during a season (with diffrent teams) and sponsorship puts an easy winning prize for winners with a fluff story. Not just a free reroll anymore :-)

Rostered Stars
Awesome! But we try and configure a highest bidder at the redraft when more than one team wants a star.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Milo wrote: I like that! That's a fun way to incentivize your coaches to really build a background and story for their teams, which in turn makes the whole league feel less mechanical and stale. I hope you don't mind if I borrow that for my own leagues.
Crack on :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I love this book so much.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

All interesting. I think I'd prefer (and how I play) stars 'for the season' this allows for Blackburn Rovers or Leeds Utd or even Leicester City scenarios.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

harvestmouse wrote:All interesting. I think I'd prefer (and how I play) stars 'for the season' this allows for Blackburn Rovers or Leeds Utd or even Leicester City scenarios.
Your analogy is lost on me ????

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Djay
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Djay »

Leeds is the only one I know because I watched The Damned United.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

One hit wonders. Rather than Manchester Utd and Chelsea dominating each season; Recycling the stars means teams could have that 1 dream season and win a league.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

lunchmoney wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:All interesting. I think I'd prefer (and how I play) stars 'for the season' this allows for Blackburn Rovers or Leeds Utd or even Leicester City scenarios.
Your analogy is lost on me ????
Leicester City won the Premier League last season which for a team that was almost relegated the year before is quite an achievement.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Yeah, but they didn't do it by recruiting some star players for one season. It really doesn't work as an analogy.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Tried a couple of games in the weekend using ALL rules (WD, DZ1, DZ2, Blitzmania, app, experimental teams, match events, team specific balls...).

Stadium and sponsorships was so difficult to acquire, all rolls failed.

Did get to play on a stadium that awarded both teams with a bribe each half. Wasn't very spectacular, but that should be the dream stadium for dwarves!

My impression is, yes there's alot of fun stadiums, but the probability to get one perfect for your team is low. To also be able to become residents there is almost as low if not lower. And to buy that stadium, well, that would take ages.

Ref was allright. I wanted to keep the WD ref rules, so added Goblin on 6 and Halfling on 8 for the referee table.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Moraiwe wrote:Yeah, but they didn't do it by recruiting some star players for one season. It really doesn't work as an analogy.
Blackburn certainly did. Leicester did to a certain point (hired Kante; Vardy and Mahrez hit peak performance for SPP worth). What I am saying is that the same teams tend to dominate league type sports (unless there's a balancing system like American sports). With a star for a season teams that generally don't have any chance, may in fact peak for 1 season before going back to mediocrity.

If you have stars for life, this would really favour better teams that can look after valuable players.