both down result

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

both down result

Post by bound for glory »

Ever wonder about how the discription of "both down" result reads? To wit:

Both Down:Both players are knocked down, unless one or both of the players involved has the block skill. If one player USES the block skill then they are not knocked down by this result, though their opponent will still go down. If both the players use the block skill then neither player is knocked down.

Use or have? The wording was/is being talked about by our club as we are getting ready to start our 28th season.

What do you think?

Reason: ''
Rick Sanchez lives!
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: both down result

Post by garion »

The reason it is written in that way is because Block is optional. You can elect not to use it and allow your own player to be knocked down. There are many reasons for this. Most notably a player may have Block and Wrestle.

To be clear a player has to have a skill to choose whether or not to USE it.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Oh, I understand how it affects play and how it works. I just think its a queer way of discribing Both Down.

Rick Sanchez lives!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Why? "Have" would only make sense if the use of the skill was non-optional.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Well, there is no dice roll involved.

Rick Sanchez lives!
Regash

Post by Regash »

A skill is, most of the time, optional, unless stated in the skill description.
So you don't have to use block even if you have it.
On the other side frenzy states that the use is not optional but mandatory, so here the term have would make sense.
CRP wrote:Frenzy (General)
A player with this skill is a slavering psychopath who attacks his opponents in an uncontrollable rage. Unless otherwise overridden, this skill must always be used. When making a block, a player with this skill must always follow up if he can. If a 'Pushed' or 'Defender Stumbles' result was chosen, the player must immediately throw a second block against the same opponent so long as they are both still standing and...
If the rules said "have block", as you suggested, a player with block and wrestle would never be able to wrestle down an opponent because he has block and doesn't go down on a Both Down result.
But with skills optional, you may choose to ignore block, i. e. not use it, to then use wrestle and get your opponent down.

It makes perfect sense and I don't see where your problem is.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

bound for glory wrote:Well, there is no dice roll involved.
And?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Regash wrote:A skill is, most of the time, optional, unless stated in the skill description.
So you don't have to use block even if you have it.
On the other side frenzy states that the use is not optional but mandatory, so here the term have would make sense.
CRP wrote:Frenzy (General)
A player with this skill is a slavering psychopath who attacks his opponents in an uncontrollable rage. Unless otherwise overridden, this skill must always be used. When making a block, a player with this skill must always follow up if he can. If a 'Pushed' or 'Defender Stumbles' result was chosen, the player must immediately throw a second block against the same opponent so long as they are both still standing and...
If the rules said "have block", as you suggested, a player with block and wrestle would never be able to wrestle down an opponent because he has block and doesn't go down on a Both Down result.
But with skills optional, you may choose to ignore block, i. e. not use it, to then use wrestle and get your opponent down.

It makes perfect sense and I don't see where your problem is.
I have no "problem", I just find the wording strange.

Rick Sanchez lives!
Regash

Post by Regash »

bound for glory wrote:I just find the wording strange.
In what way?
I mean, you've got explanations now why it is "use" instead of "have".
What makes it strange to you? I really want to understand.

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

It's not very smoothly written. He's right. Read it so someone who has never played BB or a game like it. That's the test. We who play the game are used to it, we don't realise when something looks odd because we know what it means from experience.
There are a few skills that could be worded better. Shadowing got the treatment after causing a proofreader a migraine. This could be one.

Cheers BFG.

If anyone does notice something that is difficult please do mention it. It's likely we'll all encounter stuff that requires more explanation with more new players coming in, so yeah, do pass difficulties on.

I'd haste to add that changing how something works isn't the objective but looking at how something is worded to be as clear as possible isn't a bad goal to have.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Thank you, JT-Y. Thats what I was getting at, the wording. I did'nt mean to bother anyone with it. Like I posted, we are getting ready t start a new season, and someone mentioned the wording, then another said, "yeah. That s queer. Maybe its a "british"thing..."

We can consider this closed. Like I said, I did'nt want to Rile anyone, and as I have played the game since forever, I certainly know the meaning and intent of the "Both Down" result. Just wondered if it was just us...

Sorry boys! And cheers!

Rick Sanchez lives!
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Even if it is just you, always worth mentioning when you look at something with fresh eyes and notice it being odd.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I don't understand how the wording is "strange"? If you replace "use" with "have", as BFG suggests, you change the intention of the skill.
"Use" means you have a choice.
"Have" means you don't.

As Block is optional "use" is correct, "have" wouldn't be.

iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

Maybe the confusion is between the use of "has" in the first sentence, and "use" later.

Maybe this is better?

Both Down: Both players are knocked down, unless one or both of the players involved has the block skill. A player that has the block skill may choose to not be knocked down by this result. If both the players choose in this way then neither player is knocked down.

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Both players are knocked down. If either player has the Block skill, they may use it to avoid being knocked down.